Wondering if MrRobot is steering me wrong?

90 Goblin Death Knight
Ohhhhk... where to begin? I'm a fairly new tank. Rolled this toon about 9-10 mos ago, and started learning to tank.

Fast forward 9-10 months, including a 4-5 month break from April to MOP's release. Now I got this guy to 90 about a month (or so) ago. I've been trying to gear him up ever since (not to mention keeping my main up to snuff, which explains why my gear on this toon isn't exactly stellar).

About 2 weeks ago, I managed to farm all the mats to craft two epic pieces (Ancient steel gloves & chest). Last night, I crafted the 450 shoulders to replace my 420 quest greens & to raise my ilvl so I can finally start learning to tank raids (ultimately hoping to be a backup raid tank for my guild). I figured I'd start by tankin LFR, then slowly work my way to normal raids.

So I got my Ilvl up (462, at the moment, i believe) and now I can run the first stage of MSV. Great. Off to Mr Robot to see about reforging to optimize my gear.

Now.. there's 4 possible builds you can use, but one of them is PVP, so we'll discount that one as I rarely PVP.

I am using the template for the hit/exp build, which prioritizes stats in the following order:
Stam > Hit/Exp > Mastery > Str > Parry=Dodge

What's got me confused, is, when I'm finished (I'm about 3/4 the way through reforging, as I'm having a hard time getting the gems it's reccomending) I'm estimating on having over 500k health, (according to MRR, it's going to be 580k) and I'm concerned/confused about stam stacking.

According to Mr Robot, my mastery will be 128.50 when my optimizing is complete, and my parry/dodge will be 14.58/1.68 (respectively)

But, according to my character info screen, my mastery (at the moment) is barely over 100% - 100.59%, to be exact, and I'm only missing 1 enchant Enchant Boots - Pandaren's Step & 1 diamond Austere Primal Diamond

Did I/Am I doing something wrong here?

Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

Disclaimer - I'm aware my gear might not be the greatest, with the exception of a few pieces, but take that into consideration.
Edited by Foxmoulder on 12/2/2012 6:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
According to icy veins and mr robot the most popular build is;

Stamina (until you have enough, see below);
Mastery Rating;
Hit Rating and Expertise Rating (until 7.5% of each);
Dodge Rating and Parry Rating (there is an important distinction here, see below);
Haste Rating.
http://www.icy-veins.com/blood-death-knight-wow-pve-tank-statistics-priority-reforging
Id follow that advice, in particular about not gemmimg stam too much. On my warrior I went with 1 stam trink, 1 mastery. Seems a good compromise.
A rel Blood DK may have better advice.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
The 128.5% mastery is fully buffed (Blessing of Might/Grace of Air totem) and with the gem/enchant.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
According to icy veins and mr robot the most popular build is;

Stamina (until you have enough, see below);
Mastery Rating;
Hit Rating and Expertise Rating (until 7.5% of each);
Dodge Rating and Parry Rating (there is an important distinction here, see below);
Haste Rating.
http://www.icy-veins.com/blood-death-knight-wow-pve-tank-statistics-priority-reforging
Id follow that advice, in particular about not gemmimg stam too much. On my warrior I went with 1 stam trink, 1 mastery. Seems a good compromise.
A rel Blood DK may have better advice.

But that's just it - according to Mrrobot, on my belt, I need to reforge 267 points from dodge, into hit.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/darrowmere/foxmoulder

But, right now, according to the ingame character screen, my hit rating is 2670, or about 7.89% which is 250-300 over the amount - WITHOUT me reforging my belt.

Unfortunately, wowreforge is having some kind of issue, so I can't use that as an alternative.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
So I am usually a fan of Ask Mr. Robot but I don't think their Hit/Exp build is really working right now. The weight for stamina is far too high. I have posted this on their forums got a couple of response but it doesn't seem they are planning any changes. They seem to think the weights are about right.

Stam is not bad but we certainly shouldn't be stacking it. Mastery is far more important. If you want to keep using AMR I would suggest you do one of two things. Either switch to the Mastery focused build (which is based more around survival and active mitigation and which balances stam & mastery far better) or edit the weights and add in a hard cap for stamina (30,000 should be more than enough). Use whatever you feel comfortable with.

On my tank I have about 29,000 master and 178% mastery fully buffed.

But that's just it - according to Mrrobot, on my belt, I need to reforge 267 points from dodge, into hit.

But, right now, according to the ingame character screen, my hit rating is 2670, or about 7.89% which is 250-300 over the amount - WITHOUT me reforging my belt.

To answer this question specifically it also wants you to drop the +170 hit enchant off of your feet and change your shoulders and hands from parry to hit into parry to exp. If you make all of the changes you will end up where it says you should be.

I have never had Ask Mr. Robot be wrong on the math. The ratings and % always add up right (if I do what it says). Sometimes though it can be a bit off on the priorities.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
So I am usually a fan of Ask Mr. Robot but I don't think their Hit/Exp build is really working right now. The weight for stamina is far too high. I have posted this on their forums got a couple of response but it doesn't seem they are planning any changes. They seem to think the weights are about right.

Stam is not bad but we certainly shouldn't be stacking it. Mastery is far more important. If you want to keep using AMR I would suggest you do one of two things. Either switch to the Mastery focused build (which is based more around survival and active mitigation and which balances stam & mastery far better) or edit the weights and add in a hard cap for stamina (30,000 should be more than enough). Use whatever you feel comfortable with.

On my tank I have about 29,000 master and 178% mastery fully buffed.

To answer this question specifically it also wants you to drop the +170 hit enchant off of your feet and change your shoulders and hands from parry to hit into parry to exp. If you make all of the changes you will end up where it says you should be.

I have never had Ask Mr. Robot be wrong on the math. The ratings and % always add up right (if I do what it says). Sometimes though it can be a bit off on the priorities.

But why is it that the mastery build doesn't focus on hit/exp? Don't landed strikes add to your bloodshield? From what I'm seeing on there, the hit would end up being 1.11% & the exp would be 2.14%. That would be a lot of missed attacks right?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
But why is it that the mastery build doesn't focus on hit/exp? Don't landed strikes add to your bloodshield? From what I'm seeing on there, the hit would end up being 1.11% & the exp would be 2.14%. That would be a lot of missed attacks right?

The heal from Death Strike occurs regardless if the attack lands or not.

Edit: it does consume the runes as well.
Edited by Elata on 12/2/2012 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight

But I'm not going to be solely using DS, so aside from DS and the other attack(I think RS - IIRC, there's 2 attacks that cannot be dodged/parried/missed) all other attacks would miss, correct?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Your DPS attack CAN miss, not WILL miss.
Your active mitigation wont which is the most important.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Mr. Robot is sometimes accurate, but in general, I dislike it. It tends to want you to reforge every single piece every time you get something new, often in a circular tradeoff. Sometimes it is right for the wrong reasons, and they're a bit clueless on trinkets. I prefer http://www.chardev.org/Planner.html since it lets you put in all the buffs, go over gems/enchants, and so forth. I've heard that ReforgeLite is a helpful addon for implementing your reforging, but I've just been doing it manually.

I'm not as familiar with Blood DK stat priorities as some of the other posters, so I won't give you specific advice. Just check out the stickies here and in the DK forum for gearing strategies and such. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I haven't used AMR this expansion for anything other than monks. Having said that, I take everything it suggests with a grain of salt.

It's terrible for Brewmasters. www.wowreforge.com has been sooo much better.

1. Install the addon called Reforgerade.
2. Load character on wowreforge website.
3. Setup Gems/enchants that you want to use.
4. Use default stat weights or enter your own.
5. Click optimize and wait for calculations to finish.
6. Once finished, click Summary and copy the reforge changes.
7. Visit Reforger in game and paste Summary results into Reforgerade.
8. Profit
Reply Quote

To add to this Rune Strike also cannot not be dodged, blocked or parried. Taunts are also guaranteed to hit. The only attack you really have to worry about missing is Outbreak and that is only annoying when it misses.

12/02/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Foxmoulder
But I'm not going to be solely using DS, so aside from DS and the other attack(I think RS - IIRC, there's 2 attacks that cannot be dodged/parried/missed) all other attacks would miss, correct?

Don't forget that a 0% hit chance does not mean a 100% miss chance. The hit that you are building as part of you stats is additional hit to help hit bosses or mobs that are higher level than you.

You worst case scenario (as long as you are level 90) is a 7.5% miss rate. Any hit you add reduces that.

For instance, i logged in and looked at my char. I have 1.75% hit and 1.53% exp. I checked the in game tool tips and my actual miss rates are listed below.

lvl(mob) - Miss chance
90 - 1.26%
91 - 2.76%
92 - 4.26%
93 or Skull - 5.76%

Then you do the same math for expertise.

So, are you going to miss more. Sure. Are you going to miss all the time. No. Does it really matter if you miss? Not for your survivability or your tanking.
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
1) Make sure that you "reload" from your armory each time you reforge.

2) The suggestions from MrRobot are just that...suggestions.

3) Pretty sure your goals are the same as a pally. The concept is to not miss with your attacks. 7.5% Hit and 15% expertise. Then stack stam for survivability. I'm currently at about 560K.

I'm having no problems at all with these goals but remember that the program keeps your stats on cookies. Make sure you are reloading your stats each time and you should be good to go.
Reply Quote
3) Pretty sure your goals are the same as a pally. The concept is to not miss with your attacks. 7.5% Hit and 15% expertise. Then stack stam for survivability. I'm currently at about 560K.

This is not true. DKs are one of the few tanks this expansion that do not need or even benefit significantly from Hit/Exp. Pallys need Hit and Exp to keep their resource (Holy Power) flowing. This is similar to Bears, Warriors and to some extent Monks. DKs on the other hand passively regenerate their resource (Runes). Also several of our key abilities are either designed not to miss (Rune strike) or give us positive effect (Healing and shield from Death Strike) whether they hit or not.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]