Why don't DKs use shields?

26 Worgen Hunter
12/04/2012 10:29 AMPosted by Saitharis
Basically. The Runeblade (even though we have rune axes, maces and warhammers in the hands of players) is the iconic Death Knight weapon. When a Death Knight is created, he's given a runesword to seal the pact, or whatever. It's the focus he channels his power through. A 'Rune Shield' wouldn't fit with their image.

The Warhammer is the paladins iconic weapon of choice. Why can't paladins use warhammers to heal or tank. Back in Strat, at least during Vanilla, Dathrohan dropped a 2-H healing hammer. It'd be nice for that itemization to come back.

And I think Death Knights minimize damage and uses what pain he feels to empower his or her strikes, and as a consequence, self heals. The block would reduce these self-heals and make the Death Knight a less efficient tank overall.
Edited by Rudox on 12/4/2012 11:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/04/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Rudox
The Warhammer is the paladins iconic weapon of choice. Why can't paladins use warhammers to heal or tank. Back in Strat, at least during Vanilla, Dathrohan dropped a 2-H healing hammer. It'd be nice for that itemization to come back.

They could make 1h maces that are styled to look like warhammers. Wouldn't be that hard at all.

Especially since they've been 1h weapon models for 2h weapons and vice versa before.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/03/2012 10:40 PMPosted by Egrem
Arthas didn't plan to sacrifice his Death Knights until he realized Tirion was in the Plaguelands, which he didn't realize until the Eye of Acherus quest.

Arthas was planning to lure out and kill Tirion from the very beginning. That wasn't who he sensed.

"They prepare for battle - as expected - but there is something else. I sense an old enemy. An enemy that I destroyed long ago...

It matters not. We will send the full might of the Scourge against them before they have a chance to evacuate their homes and put in place their defenses."

He was talking about Mal'Ganis, who was down there in the guise of Barean Westwind.

Ooooh, I forgot about him.

Not that that was ever resolved.

12/03/2012 11:17 PMPosted by Plagueworm
I'm not sure what your point is.

Clearly.

I guess that's your way of conceding, then.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/04/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Rudox
Basically. The Runeblade (even though we have rune axes, maces and warhammers in the hands of players) is the iconic Death Knight weapon. When a Death Knight is created, he's given a runesword to seal the pact, or whatever. It's the focus he channels his power through. A 'Rune Shield' wouldn't fit with their image.

And I think Death Knights minimize damage and uses what pain he feels to empower his or her strikes, and as a consequence, self heals. The block would reduce these self-heals and make the Death Knight a less efficient tank overall.

If Paladin Lore wasn't.......so diluted my Pally would use swords... Rawr
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
There's so many cool shield models with skulls and stuff that makes me okay with Death Knights using shields.

My only problem with it is that they have a much cooler identity being the tank that uses a 2hand weapon. Sure Monks and Druids do that as well, but they're only limited to staves and polearms, and really only fight barehanded. (With Monks weaving their weapon between barehanded strikes, but still.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Just to clarify, i'm only talking about Death Knights. Not your average undead peon. Death Knights take more effort and power raise, especially the more powerful ones like Thassarin or Kol'tira.

I understand that death knights use runeblades, but it's quite obvious there are DKs who should be capable of using a shield. Original Death Knights weren't even undead, but human souls in the body of an orc (From my understanding), the undead excuse doesn't work. Plus, i don't think that Arthas created them with the purpose of being a expendable force. He clearly sees them as important.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/04/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Frozentime
Original Death Knights weren't even undead, but human souls in the body of an orc

Other way around. It would make no sense for humans to come back from the dead and serve the Horde willingly.

And yes, they were still undead. The bodies decayed like normal undead and everything.

In fact, as a kind of nod to the idea, there's a Temple of the Damned in the Undercity that was made to look like the old Temple of the Damned that the Horde used in WCII.

Edit: Mistakenly said Alliance instead of Horde.
Edited by Draile on 12/4/2012 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Ah yes, other way around. My bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Eh...

Even if other Death Knights use shields, it is a rarity in comparison - Death Knights have always, ALWAYS been about the Runeblade and nothing else. Until the Four Horseman gave us Thane Whacking Stick, the idea of them even using anything other than a sword PERIOD was foreign.

Death Knights with Shields are the exception, not the rule. Really, looking at Acherus' opening, there -aren't- any Death Knights with shields there. They're all trained by Death Knights like Razuvious ...

Whose Naxxramas understudies DO use shields actually...

Hrm. There ARE a lot of extremely Death Knight appropriate shields out there, but I guess it's just a portion of training the Lich King didn't see fit to impart on the Death Knights of Acherus. Sure, I wouldn't mind shields, but I also wouldn't mind Unbalancing Strike, Unholy Shadow, or Unyielding Pain either.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
The first DK were created by Gul'dan for Doomhammer's Horde. It was the souls of Orc warlocks that were placed into dead human corpses and animated with special jewelled truncheons to battle the Knights if the Silver Hand.

So this may be as to why they use 2h weapons and no shield but that is just my take on it
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
12/04/2012 02:45 PMPosted by Dryker
Whose Naxxramas understudies DO use shields actually...

Understudies, which implies that they are still noobish and unable to fully defend themselves still.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Have you ever seen Garrosh using shields?
Think about it. When we see someone using shield, we think s/he is a protector. A force of justice and heaven.

Death Knight is something from Avernus. Hell. Using shields would make them look very, very out of the lore.
Besides, everyone Warcraft universe recognize Death Knights by their Runeblade, not shields with skulls on it (which is in fact a already used image by Deathguard)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
DK's get their power from their rune blade by putting a shield in their hand you are halving their power. Also it's just part of the discipline, you could say the same about any other class. Why don't priests use shields? Wouldn't it make sense to use a shield to protect yourself in a warzone?

Using blades is just part of the art of being a Death Knight, we are so good with a sword we parry friggin arrows. ( we don't actually but from a story point of view I could see it happening)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/05/2012 01:05 AMPosted by Amathyst
Using blades is just part of the art of being a Death Knight, we are so good with a sword we parry friggin arrows. ( we don't actually but from a story point of view I could see it happening)

Arthas did that in Rise of the Lich King.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
12/04/2012 02:45 PMPosted by Dryker
Hrm. There ARE a lot of extremely Death Knight appropriate shields out there, but I guess it's just a portion of training the Lich King didn't see fit to impart on the Death Knights of Acherus. Sure, I wouldn't mind shields, but I also wouldn't mind Unbalancing Strike, Unholy Shadow, or Unyielding Pain either.
This is actually something I'd like to know, if there are a lot of Death Knight appropriate shields out there but Death Knights are unable to use them then what purpose do the shields hold? I mean who would be using the shields? What kind of Scourge units?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/05/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Vynathlon
This is actually something I'd like to know, if there are a lot of Death Knight appropriate shields out there but Death Knights are unable to use them then what purpose do the shields hold? I mean who would be using the shields? What kind of Scourge units?

Warriors, perhaps?

We know that not everyone in the Scourge was a Death Knight; they could have had warriors too.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
12/05/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Gibbons

Warriors, perhaps?

We know that not everyone in the Scourge was a Death Knight; they could have had warriors too.
Why bestow necromantic magics upon the shields then? What purpose would necromantic magics hold with Scourge warriors incapable of wielding such magic?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

Warriors, perhaps?

Why bestow necromantic magics upon the shields then? What purpose would necromantic magics hold with Scourge warriors incapable of wielding such magic?

Why do warriors in general use enchanted shields in general?

You don't have to use magic to gain benefits from a magical item.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req

Why do warriors in general use enchanted shields in general?

You don't have to use magic to gain benefits from a magical item.
What benefits would a necromantic enchanted shield hold for a warrior then?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
As with other enchanted shields, they probably have enhanced durability, resistance to magic, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]