MMO gaming addiction

90 Night Elf Monk
What if any do you all feel about the presence of gaming addiction? Do you feel we are just misunderstood gamers or that we seriously have a problem? This is for my English paper this year so as many responses as you can give would be helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Safer than drug addiction. Less likely to impoverish than gambling addiction.

But let me suggest visiting Slashdot.org where there's a good many more helpful pages on it.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/07/06/25/0657231/experts-oppose-classifying-gaming-addiction-as-mental-disorder

http://slashdot.org/story/06/08/09/135213/40-percent-of-world-of-warcraft-players-addicted

http://games.slashdot.org/story/06/02/28/2133245/the-science-of-game-addiction

http://games.slashdot.org/story/08/09/01/2331253/defining-video-game-addiction

http://news.slashdot.org/story/07/06/14/1833227/doctor-urges-ama-to-classify-gaming-addiction

That's just a few of the discussions I found there.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Awesome stuff ty Lyrenna:) more posts please any opinion is helpful!:))
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Blizzard pioneered the use of psychology to make wow addicting. They are using the same principles in CoD.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Gaming is not an addiction. There is nothing inherently addictive about video games. If someone video games so much that it's becoming a harm to their health and well-being, it's a personal mental problem and has nothing to do with how a game is designed.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Rogue
You kinda contradicted yourself, gameing can be an addiction, im pretty sure the definition is a mental dependancy on something. As for some games being designed to be addictive, i think thats debateable.
Reply Quote
56 Pandaren Monk
To put it short and sweet, yes I am addicted to this game and I am well aware of it. Had to quit many times because it was getting out of hand. However, it was easily solved by setting up parental controls for myself and having someone else use their email/password for it. You see, idealistically I desire to play in moderation, but once I'm logged in it's hard to stop.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/04/2012 08:57 PMPosted by Muddkips
You kinda contradicted yourself, gameing can be an addiction, im pretty sure the definition is a mental dependancy on something. As for some games being designed to be addictive, i think thats debateable.

The argument is always "video games are addicting." They are not. Video games in no way cause people to become dangerously attached. They do that on their own.

Cigarettes are addicting. Hard drugs are addicting. These things cause chemical dependencies that make your body physically unable to function properly. Video games do no such thing. Video game addiction is a result of self control issues.
Reply Quote
95 Dwarf Hunter
Cigarettes are addicting. Hard drugs are addicting. These things cause chemical dependencies that make your body physically unable to function properly. Video games do no such thing. Video game addiction is a result of self control issues.

Not taking sides or anything but by that definition your saying gambling addictions and the sort aren't real addictions either.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
12/04/2012 11:11 PMPosted by Vanarela

The argument is always "video games are addicting." They are not. Video games in no way cause people to become dangerously attached. They do that on their own.

See bold; I beg to differ slightly, as I have found that sitting at a computer, repeating the same movements for hours on end, and for years on top of that has actually caused some physical issues with my upper back/neck...I have tried different chairs, desks, etc...but nothing has helped, I have basically developed carpal tunnel and arthritis between my shoulder blades (I'm in my mid 30's), directly due to playing wow so much, for so long. I'm not saying that this is the case with most people, but it has happened to me (and I've got the MRI to prove it - hardened ligaments, enflamed nerves, even a couple bulging discs)...my Dr. has said this is all directly from too much time sitting at my computer, using the same motions over and over...and I only do that with WoW (it's the only game I play).

So now, I can only play for about 2-3 hours max until I start to get so much pain I have to stop, which puts a serious damper on raiding, grinding dailys, queing for multiple heroics, etc.

I understand this is not the same as a chemical dependency, but too much of this for too long has caused me physical damage...luckily it's not irreversible, and basically when I start to feel pain/numbness I have to stop playing for a few hours...sigh.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 03:43 AMPosted by Phattÿ

Not taking sides or anything but by that definition your saying gambling addictions and the sort aren't real addictions either.

Well "real" addictions would be narcotics as they can cause an actual chemical dependency on people.

Things like (excessive) gambling, shopping, video games, etc are compulsions as the person is compelled to engage in the activity, but not actually dependent on it like drug addicts are dependent on drugs. That being said, the term "addiction" is often used to refer to a continued compulsion.

It's really semantics about whether you're using "addiction" in a specific or broad sense.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
A person can get addicted to well nigh ANYTHING out there. Food? check. Games? check. Sex? check. Sugar? check. Blaming the object of your addiction is ANOTHER symptom of addiction. When you blame the object, you're distancing yourself from personal responsibility. You know "The first step is admitting YOU have a problem" but right along with that is also admitting that THE PROBLEM IS YOUR FAULT!
Reply Quote
56 Pandaren Monk

The chemical that causes dependency and addiction is dopamine, which is created naturally in the brain. If dopamine is released at unstable or unnaturally high levels, it can lead to addiction. Whether it's another chemical that triggers the release of dopamine, like nicotine, or an activity such as playing video games, is irrelevant. Video games cause very high releases of dopamine in the brain, in some more than others, and there for can lead to a dependency.

Well "real" addictions would be narcotics as they can cause an actual chemical dependency on people.

It's really semantics about whether you're using "addiction" in a specific or broad sense.

What you're referring to is the difference between substance dependance and behavioral addiction. In some cases, such as with alcoholics, the body can build up such a tolerance to a particular substance that it no longer results in a dopamine related addiction. Instead, the body becomes dependent on the substance itself and the person needs the drug "just to feel normal". Go to any AA meeting and tell them it's just a self control problem and they'll set you straight.

Source: 3 years in NA and AA meetings.
Edited by Furypaw on 12/5/2012 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/04/2012 08:57 PMPosted by Muddkips
As for some games being designed to be addictive, i think thats debateable.

Take CoD for example. They keep reselling the same game over and over. Its "best" feature is a multiplayer. It was definitely designed with psychology in mind. Its easy to blast people away which gives you a rush, the punishment for death is very mild, so it doesnt discourage you and you are constantly rewarded for playing more and leveling all the differnts skills. (getting xx kills with z weapon and so on)
Every other product is designed and marketed with psychology in mind, what makes games any different?
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Rogue
12/05/2012 03:59 PMPosted by Ohota
Its easy to blast people away which gives you a rush, the punishment for death is very mild, so it doesnt discourage you and you are constantly rewarded for playing more and leveling all the differnts skills. (getting xx kills with z weapon and so on)

As someone else said, addiction is based on dopamine, when you get a huge killstreak in cod your brain rewards you with dopamine. The problem with cod is that its so easy that i personally, dont get any enjoyment out of it. I used to like cod when it was a ww2 game, it was fun getting kills with a gun like the lee enfield because you couldnt just spray and pray, each shot was calculated and hits felt rewarding.

I dont think modern military shooters are designed to be addictive; i think they are rideing on the popularity of the ww2 genre and most people who play arnt really gamers and werent around when the ww2 genre was so successful so they dont realise how terrible mms's actually are. (saying this because the first modern warfare wasnt released until 07, and gameing has gotten a bit more mainstream since then)
Edited by Muddkips on 12/5/2012 5:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/05/2012 05:25 PMPosted by Muddkips
As someone else said, addiction is based on dopamine, when you get a huge killstreak in cod your brain rewards you with dopamine. The problem with cod is that its so easy

Thats exactly my point. They didn't make it easy to blast people away for the sake of strategic depth or balance. (notice how its not enough to simply kill them)
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Rogue
What im saying is that the game is so easy that i find it hard to get that dopamine reward from playing the game. I did however get that reward when it was a ww2 game because the guns were so much better designed.

Getting a killstreak in cod 3 was rewarding because it was difficult to use the guns, getting one in the more modern setting isnt because you just spray people when you come around a corner.
Edited by Muddkips on 12/5/2012 6:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
What you're referring to is the difference between substance dependance and behavioral addiction. In some cases, such as with alcoholics, the body can build up such a tolerance to a particular substance that it no longer results in a dopamine related addiction. Instead, the body becomes dependent on the substance itself and the person needs the drug "just to feel normal". Go to any AA meeting and tell them it's just a self control problem and they'll set you straight.

Source: 3 years in NA and AA meetings.

Are you implying that I was saying alcoholism is behavioural like gambling? Alcoholism would obviously be in the same category as narcotics as it causes a chemical dependency.

I'm unsure as to what the point of that sentence was.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Wow! I come back to check on my post today and you all gave me excellent responses! To all those who need extra validation on whether or not this game is addictive I could post my actual paper on the boards here but it has a lot of references to my old drug usage there. I will bring up something in my vanilla days that makes me think that this is a real addiction that the addiction community should look at:

I was in 40 man Molten Core with my old guild, and we had just downed Sulfuron Harbringer. The Robes of Volatile Power dropped and me being on my mage I wanted them very badly. We rolled out of 500 then and at least 10 to 15 other dps were after the item. i rolled a 498 out of 500 and a feeling almost equivalent to the first time one takes extacy entered my brain and i yelled very loudly in suprise and euphoria.

Very few things have done that to me in my life but that did and the only thing that came close to that feeling was the first time i took a powerful drug or had sex. Just my experience there folks. Also Wikipedia MMO gaming addicition next time you get a chance all. it is very real and scares me sometimes.

Thank you all again so much and let me know if ya want me to post my paper:)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Please post your paper, Im very curious now.
also the fact that this subject produced more than one responds is noteworthy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]