Best off tank to a Blood DK mt

90 Undead Death Knight
Hi all, my guild's main tank is a Blood DK. I'm currently the off tank as a Brewmaster. Unfortunately I am not enjoying the Brewmaster spec and am looking to change to a different tank class.

Was wondering what everyone's opinion was to which class complimented Blood DKs for two tank fights.

I have a pally, Druid and DK all 85+ that I could quickly level up. I would prefer to go DK since frost is my favorite dps spec, but am not sure how awesome/detrimental it would be to have 2 Blood tanks.
Reply Quote
Druid tanks can be one of the best classes to have tanking in multi target fights because of our high aoe damage output, and once they get the 4piece t14 set, savage defense comes up to 50% dodge, and overall comming to ~70% overall dodge capable, since we can go ahead and ignore, hit/exp/parry. Although, not completly anymore. I have seen a couple good pala tanks do well. Druids are also constantly overlooked on the tanking forums for some odd reason, iv seen several threads where they just dont talk about the versatility of druid tanking, we also have awesome dps output with heart of the wild talent for doing some nice boomkin type damage when we dont need to tank. But to each their own. Each class brings something good to the table at least so far for these tiers for raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Try a druid, while I'm sure warrior and paladin players will come here and tell you to try their respected classes, if you're open to any of them, why take one that is going to share plate drops?

outside of gearing, druid/dk tanking combos are fantastic, although my guild uses myself and a monk and we're pretty satisfied with that.
Reply Quote
Just remember bear gear is much different than plate tanking gear, since we lack the need for hit cap/exp cap, and parry on our gear. So its going to be harder to end up distributing if theres a piece of gear that contains mastery or crit and hit/exp, as long as it doesnt have haste.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I joined a guild grp kill for elegon and will last night. Will is a good judge of comparable damage taken.
The guild druid took about 33% of damage and I took about 21%. I'm not sure how they work or if they heal themselves but I seem to take a lot less damage than other tanks on will using a mastery build. Got a warrior handy?
(Dancing was equal)
Edited by Troytank on 12/4/2012 9:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I'm pretty sure Druids have decent self healing. higher than warriors but less than a DK.

Perhaps the druid goofed on avoided the swings during devastating attack phases.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I thought DK and Druids were on the same tier token. Might be something to consider in the long run.

A shield tank always compliments a face tank. War/pally

12/04/2012 09:38 AMPosted by Korawr
since we lack the need for hit cap/exp cap

Are you sure? I've fallen behind on my druid info, I was under the impression that DK's were the only tank that could over look hit/exp.
Reply Quote
I thought DK and Druids were on the same tier token. Might be something to consider in the long run.

A shield tank always compliments a face tank. War/pally

since we lack the need for hit cap/exp cap

Are you sure? I've fallen behind on my druid info, I was under the impression that DK's were the only tank that could over look hit/exp.

Stamina >= Agility > Dodge = Mastery > Crit > Melee Hit (7.5%) = Expertise (7.5%) > Haste

Is our stat priority, so pretty much every stat save haste is above hit and exp, you only shoot for those if you dont have any, iv found that bear tanks can get away with about 4-5% hit and be able to successfully tank in raids, i can say thats true because when i did the first four bosses in MV i was tanking there with less gear than i currently have, and with about 4.5% hit, and about the same exp, and i had no aggro issues, and no real overwhelming problems with dying other than to that scorpions attacks >_> i love dying to it! 1.5mil hit!!

EDIT: And as far as dks go without the hit/exp cap
Survival: Stamina > Mastery > Parry > Dodge > Melee Hit (7.5%) > Expertise (7.5%) > Haste

Control + Threat: Stamina > Mastery > Melee Hit (7.5%) > Expertise (7.5%) > Parry > Dodge > Haste

So DKs are set up the same way as druids for the most part, only if you have threat problems you go for the hit cap, but rage building is more important because of the mitigation and the self heal that scales with your HP.
Edited by Korawr on 12/4/2012 10:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/04/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Verjeh

Maybe they can but if you look at scent of blood which has a reasonable chance to buff DS healing and provide extra runic power on a successful auto attack, hit and expertise also affect a Blood DK positively.

If said DK takes the talent that allows them to call up a Death Rune with Blood Tap then that extra runic power becomes even better.

Blood Tap also provides the least RNG way of getting resources for the DK, if you're going for a control play-style

given the above information I'm pretty sure 7.5% hit and expertise for a DK is a valid way to reforge.
Edited by Fangthane on 12/4/2012 10:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
DKs don't need 15% expertise, 7.5% is plenty because all of our attacks that matter can't be parried - death strike, rune strike, blood boil, etc.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
That stat priority is all wrong. Stamina stacking is a complete waste on normal raiding, at least until heroics.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
It's "Stamina until you have enough" not "lots of stamina and more stamina"

Tanking isn't about X over Y, it's about enough X, Y, and Z to function well.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Agreed. You should have enough just passively before doing almost anything though. This is all kind of vague though depending on the situation.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Those priorities aren't set in stone for druids. For example, I prioritize Hit/Exp as much as dodge/mastery right now. It depends on if you're an active or passive tank.

We have a DK tank and we work well together. But he's an awesome tank so it doesn't matter what I am.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/04/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Korawr
Stamina >= Agility > Dodge = Mastery > Crit > Melee Hit (7.5%) = Expertise (7.5%) > Haste

0.o

so the 3 stats that fuel your active mitigation are last?

I've double check a few sites, including the druid forms here, hit/exp is recommended. In fact most of the guardian druids on those forums are also hit/exp capped.

12/04/2012 03:28 PMPosted by Sparklefever
Warrior, plate drops aren't really an issue so much as sharing tier.

Stay away from sharing Tier Tokens
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Who's sharing tokens?
Are you talking specifically about the two tanks sharing tokens? Why does it matter?

You're going to share tokens with at least 1 other person, most likely.

edit
Worth mentioning, our group has 2 DK's 1 Druid 1 Mage and all of our tier boss kills have dropped our token except 1 Lei Shi kill. Starting to think the game checks your group comp and favors tokens based on class counts.
Edited by Zionic on 12/5/2012 10:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Must be newly implemented.

That would have helped when I had to do Hyjal (See: Worst Raid Ever) 3 times to the T6 gloves/helm on my warrior.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
from my own experience.

1-Dk with druid both these have great dps and self-healing, the share of symbiosis from tank to tank is super !
2- dk with warrior dk good single, warrior good AoE agggro and warrior lake less damage than any other tank.
3- dk with paladin i call this combo : anti-all ... they have hability to break all mechanics
4- dk with monk ???????? sorry dont know monk other than they fat ;)
5- dk with DK worst combo, both Dk gonna take too many damage and fight on same loot, best combo on magic fight. but thats all. healer gonna use too many mana to re-full them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]