Another Affliction PvP thread!

90 Gnome Warlock
12/05/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Lsx
You can see multiple times, I've said that the damage done is high, but the damage done can be easily -easily- healed through. Your argument is not valid in respect to the suggestion of the thread. I've played a DK extensively this season as well, they do high overall damage, but most of it is not significant. The damage dealt is constantly ticking on all targets, but passive healing and small things like healing steam completely negate your globals spent putting out that damage as a warlock, as a DK you just disease everything almost passively. You constantly hit all targets. I'm sure nobody here can say they have felt they were in trouble just from Dk diseases.

If you expect to get kills through a free-casting healer then I don't know what you are expecting.

Please reread and understand. Not that a free-casting healer is the problem. The problem is that three dots spread around are healed up without free-casting. With simple hots and such.
Its the way that damage is applied that makes it in incredibly hard to apply pressure. When you have to 1) use a secondary resource, and 2) channel.

I agree that the dots being easily dispelled is also a problem. Its the whole toolkit though in how damage is applied and how easily damage is negated. Both by not being able to channel, and dispels.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
After playing affliction again all night, I now agree that the two main problems are:

1.) not enough shard generation
2.) having to channel MG

if not for these, affliction would be aaaaaamazing.

hopefully something happens on the side of shard generation, perhaps with the 4pc, as blizzard has never been known to change classes that have to channel casts with any urgency (see: elemental shamen for BC, WOTLK, Cata).
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
After playing affliction again all night, I now agree that the two main problems are:

1.) not enough shard generation
2.) having to channel MG

if not for these, affliction would be aaaaaamazing.

hopefully something happens on the side of shard generation, perhaps with the 4pc, as blizzard has never been known to change classes that have to channel casts with any urgency (see: elemental shamen for BC, WOTLK, Cata).

A logical quality of life fix would be to bake drain soul into MG in some form or fashion. Maybe limit the amount of shards or something, and just combine the 2 skills.

The spell sucks as it is, drain soul that is, and takes so long to tick, etc. And having to take the time and do zero damage channeling it to gain shards back is a PITA.

Just combine the 2, change the amount of shards it generates or something, and call it a day.
Edited by Hottodot on 12/5/2012 6:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/05/2012 06:53 AMPosted by Lsx
Quick game. A dot class doing more than burst classes? Strange especially when we were practically farming them. My point stands.

i dunno i hate to compare us to shadow priests but they use dots as well and have no issue burning people down. My friend told me he just got only 2 pieces of gear at 90 and doing a 80k devouring plague and is getting plenty of kills in.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
lol i still miss casting shadow bolt over channeling for a fight. if i wanted to cast dots and channel another class already does that :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
playing affliction, you need a lot of control to get off proper pressure.

you need space to chain CC and to focus down a target. the game has changed and we can no longer dot it and let it rot, its really about playing like a shadow priest and setting up burst. think of haunt as your version of devouring plague.

affliction will work well along side another high priority target which is a mage in arena, spriest are pretty much CC fodder, because when played right they take too long to kill for other high burst set ups.

i have sort of stayed way from alot of pvp this season, i honestly wish affliction was stronger but because of the current meta, warriors/mages burst and control affliction cannot draw out games and win by attrition and control, people can just sit on an affliction lock all day and train him till he is dead, its unfortunate.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Right now aff has lower survival and lower burst compared to destro (let alone more fotm classes). Really no dot based spec can compete right now even after the trinket nerf/change. Healer power and mana is just too strong plus aff has spec based mechanics issues that further negate its abilty to function in pvp.

Also blizz doesn't want to even think of touching aff since its doing well in pve. However, with all due respect, blizz lacks imagination when it comes to warlocks. There ARE good ways that have no pve impact. For instance:

1. UA kickback tripled, glyph changed to grant a shard when UA is dispelled. Can make it never crit if tripling since rng gibs are bad.
2. Haunt either undispellable or grants a shard on dispel + makes next haunt in 10-12 sec instant cast.
3. MG is no longer interuptable...tons of non interupt cc in game already so you will not cast often, but basically just treat MG like a hunter shot (cobra/steady)
4. Far more efficient lifetap + triple the value on siphon life heals (maybe scale it w' pvp power more?). Cap siphon life to 3x targets to prevent it being OP in rbgs but let it work for arena/most situations. Buff drain life similarly (HL only works at buffed rate for primary target w' secondary targets staying as they are)
5. PVP power scaling significantly increased on dots but NOT on MG/DS ticks.
6. Drain soul glyph added that does 6-8 sec worth (3-4 ticks) worth of damage instantly but gives DS a 10 sec (aka 5+ tick CD)
7. Agony stacks to 3 to 5...good pve locks don't let it drop and its absurd given dispel's CD to have it need to hit 10 stacks on an unfavorably non linear ramp up scale.
8. Shorter CD's on defensive abilities than other specs....so maybe 60 sec cd on dark regen, 20-25 sec cd on mortal coil, 1-2 min CD on UR but as aff only.

Those mechanics would give aff a start in terms of pvp toolkit. Dispels would be valid tactical decision but not a spammed on cd thing. You could get out some damage that might actually scare a healer but you'll still need a good CC chain to land a kill.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/07/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Vårgulf
Yes, but it should have been us doing it in the first place. I never understood why Spriests felt more like Affliction than Affliction did. I didn't feel as if there was much distinction between Demo and Affliction either. Both specs using the same filler? Not very fun imo.

oh and i agree with you 100% on this. However as the game is being that they already channel and dot all day at least casting shadow bolt gave us something a bit different. I mean why did and do fire mages feel a bit I dunno more destruction then destruction does lol.

the main difference between demon and aff for me was always the felguard. yes both casted the same dots, but only demon had him which is why i never used aff before the current voidwalker, i pulled aggro like no other and the felguard was always a tank which made the VW useless.

then adding meta made a huge change imo because Aff couldn't turn into a demon so they gave aff haunt and unstable
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/07/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Vårgulf
Don't you think it's funny how people QQ about warlocks with burst when Warriors and Mages are out of control?

oh anyone can inspect me idc. but i was doing my usual random bg's yesterday and checked the combat log and had a warrior nail me for a 205 heroic strike lol. On top of doing the same bg i have had the same and other warriors burst me down before i got off my horse.

i forgot the name of the dam thing lol but the call to arms was the one with the 4 orbs and i did maybe 6 or 7 of them and it was amazing how fast a frost mage of all things could drop me even after i hit him with shadowfury and blood fear and the felguards axe toss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Also blizz doesn't want to even think of touching aff since its doing well in pve. However, with all due respect, blizz lacks imagination when it comes to warlocks. There ARE good ways that have no pve impact.

rest of your post i liked werst. but just wanted to respond to this with ya locks were so broken in cata imo that the fact we are finally doing well in pve is a miracle in itself. to ask for pvp potential seems like asking for a whole new revamped game at this point.

i still wish the game would be simplified into 1 tree doing 1 thing but i guess simple is too much to ask
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
its funny how things change, its not how much damage you can put out like in PVE its when you can put that damage out.

Being able to use CC plus throw out large amounts of damage is what is successful in today's PVP mini game.

You simply cannot get through a warriors second wind while the warrior is on you. You cannot drop a healer because the damage is simply able to be healed through and mana is not an issue for pvp healers where you just outlast their mana pool. Plus our damage is easily negated by any healer with a dispel. And our fears are easily the most breakable cc in the game. Makes it so we simply cannot play affliction in arena.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]