Upcoming Video Card Question

90 Pandaren Hunter
Early this year, buying the 7970 right when it was released was probably a mistake since it dropped $150-$180 after the next few months. However, the card I was using at the time was something like the Radeon 9600. So, I really needed an upgrade.

I'm looking at the upcoming Nvidia Kepler card and the 8970. I already have a AMD 7770 for my backup computer and a AMD 7970 for my primary computer, so I'm not as needy as I was last year to upgrade.

I'm also looking at the potential of the Maxwell card coming out in 2014. Although some people think that will come out late 2014.

Will either the kepler card or the 8970 actually help run wow better or is wow just so poorly optimized that nothing can really help it now?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Not really.

If you have HD 7970, I wouldn't bother upgrading.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Mage
What WoW needs is to be better optimized to use more cpu cores and better at each core as well.

The fact that you could buy the top of the line i7 cpu and still not run every single setting at ultra. Shows how badly optimized WoW is.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
The HD7850 can max out WOW with room to spare. So, no, changing your video card will not help. The 7970 is extremely overpowered for WOW. I'm sure the 8970 will be even more so, but once again, it won't help you in WOW at all.

Also, AMD has dominated Nvidia at least the past 3 generations (at least, once the drivers for the new cards got sorted out a few months in). It goes like this

1) AMD releases new series, expensive but dominates for a few months, they have driver issues causing peformance problems, but noone notices because they're so much faster than the previous generation
2) Nvidia releases new series, *slightly* ahead of AMD due to better drivers out of the gate
3) AMD gets their driver situation sorted out, dominates again, prices drop to the point where Nvidia cards cost significantly more for equivalent performance
4) Return to step 1

I don't see that this pattern will change anytime soon
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Also, AMD has dominated Nvidia at least the past 3 generations (at least, once the drivers for the new cards got sorted out a few months in). It goes like this

In before someone saying that's not true
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

The funny thing...AMD/ATI has ALWAYS had the better hardware. It's just, for quite awhile, Nvidia has better drivers out of the gate for the new cards. Hopefully now that GCN is out (it was a radical revision), the drivers for the 8000 series will be better at launch than the 7000 series were.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior

SLI vs Crossfire says hi.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
11/25/2012 08:29 PMPosted by Mogrigg
The HD7850 can max out WOW with room to spare. So, no, changing your video card will not help. The 7970 is extremely overpowered for WOW.

This isn't true. Like I mentioned I'm using the 7970 so I know what it does with wow. And, I wish the performance was better. I CAN'T max out WoW with this video card unless I want to deal with performance issues.

Yes, I moved around the WTF folder and the Catch and updated drivers.
Edited by Galluccio on 11/26/2012 12:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This isn't true. Like I mentioned I'm using the 7970 so I know what it does with wow. And, I wish the performance was better. I CAN'T max out WoW with this video card unless I want to deal with performance issues.

I hate to say it bluntly but, sorry, you are wrong. Mogrigg speaks truth; WoW is just not optimized well for higher-performance systems. Fact-of-the-matter is, at 1080p and lower, you'll notice minimal performance gains on the 7970 compared to the 7850.
Reply Quote

SLI vs Crossfire says hi.

ROFL. How did I know you were going to reply with another one-liner... Why do you feel the need to to reply to every single post that (truthfully) sheds a bad light on nVidia? Don't be a fanboy.

And what about SLI vs Crossfire? SLI used to be way better due to superior drivers and compatibility in the 200/400 vs. 4000/5000 era. However, recently AMD drivers have improved to the point where it's hard to recommend SLI over CFX. However, at the same time the scaling is close enough to where you shouldn't really worry about one verse the other.

Ignored.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior

ROFL. How did I know you were going to reply with another one-liner... Why do you feel the need to to reply to every single post that (truthfully) sheds a bad light on nVidia? Don't be a fanboy.

And what about SLI vs Crossfire? SLI used to be way better due to superior drivers and compatibility in the 200/400 vs. 4000/5000 era. However, recently AMD drivers have improved to the point where it's hard to recommend SLI over CFX. However, at the same time the scaling is close enough to where you shouldn't really worry about one verse the other.

Ignored.

Don't be mad, friend. There are pros and cons to both camps. If this forum hated on AMD, I would back them up. It just so happens that we tend to hate on nVidia around these parts.

Anyone who says one side is 100% better than the other in all aspects is either uninformed or willfully ignorant.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

I hate to say it bluntly but, sorry, you are wrong. Mogrigg speaks truth; WoW is just not optimized well for higher-performance systems. Fact-of-the-matter is, at 1080p and lower, you'll notice minimal performance gains on the 7970 compared to the 7850.

^
WoW is not a GPU intensive game, at all. The 7850 can run on ultra with no problems. WoW is a lot more dependent on the CPU at higher settings, it is not GPU bottlenecked.

We aren't talking Crysis 2 or BF3 here. A 7970 (or even 8970 which isn't even out yet) will have zero advantages over a 7850 in WoW. A 7970 *might* be able to reach higher AA settings, but that's it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter

Take some time to read and then you can be blunt. I wasn't referring to minimal performance gains between the 7850 and 7970. I can't understand where you think I was referring to that. I was just saying, I CAN'T MAX OUT ON ULTRA WITH MY VIDEO CARD OF 7970. THAT IS ALL. That was in response to someone who said that wow could easily be maxed out on Ultra using the 7850. And, that is all I'm saying.

I've actually heard two comments which go like this.

1) You can max out settings using 7850 card.

2) WoW only cares about the CPU not the GPU. I have a pretty damn good CPU. From the benchmarks my CPU is the best one available right now.

I'm hearing conflicting statements. I do understand it's mostly about the CPU but I'm hearing the opposite as well.
Edited by Galluccio on 11/26/2012 7:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I wasn't referring to minimal performance gains between the 7850 and 7970. I can't understand where you think I was referring to that. I was just saying, I CAN'T MAX OUT ON ULTRA WITH MY VIDEO CARD OF 7970. THAT IS ALL. That was in response to someone who said that wow could easily be maxed out on Ultra using the 7850. And, that is all I'm saying.

I've actually heard two comments which go like this.

1) You can max out settings using 7850 card.

2) WoW only cares about the CPU not the GPU. I have a pretty damn good CPU. From the benchmarks my CPU is the best one available right now.

I'm hearing conflicting statements. I do understand it's mostly about the CPU but I'm hearing the opposite as well.

The situation is not that you are guaranteed to max out the game on a 7970 or a 7850. Rather, WoW performance can vary wildly even on a PC-to-PC basis; some people run WoW just fine on far less powerful setups, whilst others (like yours) struggle.

So when I say you can max out the settings on the 7850, it's if you have no performance issues specific to your pc, and only if. Otherwise, it's all random.

As for point 2, WoW cares about the CPU and the GPU, as does any game made in the 21st century. The difference arises partially in the fact that WoW typically ends up stressing the CPU far more than the GPU in many situations, such as large raids, for example. This is why the Sha of Anger is so commonly referred to as a 'benchmark' ("You'll get XX fps during Sha"), as it's a 40-man raid -- lots more players to handle. Relatively recently, particularly near the end of BC, WoW's had some optimizations made to allow it to handle multi-core processors more efficiently, but it still has a long way to go.

Heck, I can run GTA IV maxed more smoothly than I can WoW. That's just a fact. Upgrading your graphics card to anything past your 7970 will do nothing for you in WoW.
Edited by Liposuction on 11/26/2012 8:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Death Knight
I was just saying, I CAN'T MAX OUT ON ULTRA WITH MY VIDEO CARD OF 7970. THAT IS ALL. That was in response to someone who said that wow could easily be maxed out on Ultra using the 7850. And, that is all I'm saying.

if you can't max out wow with a 7970, then you either need a better CPU/Mobo, or better/faster RAM. not a better video card. i use a 7850, and wow sets itself to max by DEFAULT.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
11/26/2012 08:45 PMPosted by Eithris
I was just saying, I CAN'T MAX OUT ON ULTRA WITH MY VIDEO CARD OF 7970. THAT IS ALL. That was in response to someone who said that wow could easily be maxed out on Ultra using the 7850. And, that is all I'm saying.

if you can't max out wow with a 7970, then you either need a better CPU/Mobo, or better/faster RAM. not a better video card. i use a 7850, and wow sets itself to max by DEFAULT.

Exactly. If you're slowing down in WOW, your 7970 is NOT the bottleneck. There is no faster single-GPU card. Once you get to a level of 7850 or higher, WOW is maxed out as far as GPU goes. Beyond that, ANY slowdown will be caused by something else, typically CPU or RAM. WOW is extremely CPU bound at higher settings, mainly due to the age of the graphic engine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]