performance should i expect..imac

65 Goblin Shaman
I'm looking at the base model 27' imac coming in dec.

8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory;

2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Which this video card could i expect high frame rates without config the baseline setup For wow?

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
Edited by Sixis on 11/27/2012 11:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Only 512 MB VRAM? That doesn't sound right.
It will do high with OK FPS but anti-aliasing won't work with only 512 MB of VRAM

GTX 660Ms have 1GB ~ 2GB VRAM normally
Edited by Kalganized on 11/27/2012 11:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
65 Goblin Shaman
look into the 1gb or 2gb model?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Then it'll probably end up being too expensive.
Reply Quote
65 Goblin Shaman
i know right.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
So unless you NEED to have an iMac, I'd recommend getting a Windows PC

For the price of 27" iMac, you could get absolute top-end gaming PC with 27" IPS monitor
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

For the price of 27" iMac, you could get absolute top-end gaming PC with 27" IPS monitor

Yes. It always tears me heart up a little inside to see gamers paying a $500+ markup on laptop hardware (because the GPU inside there is designed for a laptop, hence the 'M' affix.) For $1500 you could tear through anything you play on a PC.
Edited by Liposuction on 11/27/2012 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Yes. It always tears me heart up a little inside to see gamers paying a $500+ markup on laptop hardware (because the GPU inside there is designed for a laptop, hence the 'M' affix.) For $1500 you could tear through anything you play on a PC.

Funny you mention $1500 because this is what my new 27' iMac with a GTX 680mx will cost me. The thing is my old late 2009 imac has been sold for $1500 and my new one will cost $3000 with the 680mx, the 1TB Fusion drive, 3 years applecare and sale tax.

The difference between a PC and a MAc is a 3 years old PC would have been sold for maybe 300$. The Macs have great resale value. So I am not really paying more than a PC.

Ok back to the topic subject, here are the benchmarks for various iMac GPU mixed with desktop GPU's (3DMark11 P GPU)

4 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - 9861
7 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX - 7352
16 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 - 5033
17 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 - 5014
22 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX - 3978.5
25 AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 4218
26 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 - 4267.5
32 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 3248
33 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M - 3131
55 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2320
61 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - 2085
73 ATI Radeon HD 4850 - 1780
82 NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M - 1719
209 Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 524

So the base 27' iMac comes with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M, which will give pretty decent WoW performance considering its better than my Radeon 4850. But don't expect to be able to play with Ultra setting and Max out view range. The iMac with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX is a much better GPU choice and would allow to play with everything max out.
Edited by Herbapou on 12/1/2012 2:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
For the same price, you could buy HD 7970 based machine, which thoroughly destroy any and all iMacs in gaming for less
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
Yeah I think he meant it will cost him 1500 after he sells his old one for 1500 dollars.

Edit: I agree with the others, you'd be better off with a high end PC unless you absolutely need mac for something, the catleap Korean monitors with 2560x1440 resolution are great. Even building a hackintosh is a relatively simple task if you purchase the right parts, gives you full functionality at fraction of price.
Edited by Mavendreas on 12/1/2012 4:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Yeah I think he meant it will cost him 1500 after he sells his old one for 1500 dollars.

Edit: I agree with the others, you'd be better off with a high end PC unless you absolutely need mac for something, the catleap Korean monitors with 2560x1440 resolution are great. Even building a hackintosh is a relatively simple task if you purchase the right parts, gives you full functionality at fraction of price.

Catleap is absolutely the best.
Reply Quote
92 Worgen Druid
12/01/2012 11:38 PMPosted by Benedetto

If you live near a Microcenter, this might be a better option.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Has DVI, HDMI, DP and VGA Inputs. It also has a OSD.
Edited by Nightflyer on 12/2/2012 12:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Depends on you're need. We put our desktop in the living room so I won't buy an ugly box with a spaghetti of cables that makes a lot of noise. The imacs are elegant, are low power and very quiet. I used to have the gamer PC custom box with 600w+ power supply, high end GPU with its own fan, and the CPU with its own fans. Those box could heat an house in the winter and makes a lot of noise. A box like that would cost me less than an iMac, but this is absolute garbage to me.

Not to mention I work with windows all day in IT and I H-A-T-E that OS, the last thing I want at home is windows and all its config mess. OS-X is unix based just like our state of the art servers at work, the ones that host the mission critical SQL databases. We are pushing out windows from everything but the desktop network we must keep. Let me tell you its not looking good for Microsoft even in corporate america.

Its nice to see the screen makers are finally making 27' monitors with better than full HD resolution. I shop for one last year and noone was making one with a lower price than the apple cinema display. I may have a need for one to hook up a MBP. But I think I will wait until the desktop go retina, so maybe in a year or 2.
Edited by Herbapou on 12/2/2012 8:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Lets not get too carried away.

It's a good low-cost option to bootstrap yourself into the next generation of resolutions. As a physical monitor, it can have issues, which are fairly well documented on various tech websites.

They do purportedly use the same panels as the ACD/ATD, so the quality is there. Where corners are cut are in the electronics and features. Hence the low cost, and the gamble from the consumer's point of view. That cost, however, is very low and it's a good gamble.

On the other hand, you will not have the features and support of a HP ZR30w, a Dell U3011, or an ACD/ATD--and you'll spend about a quarter to a third of what these monitors cost. You're also stuck with a 16:9 display, but this isn't that much of an issue (though a personal irritant to me).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
yeah OS preference is fine, hell I run wow through linux most of the time. But let's not think that all windows gaming rigs are big messy loud monsters. There are plenty of good mATX and ITX builds you can do with silent fans, just toss the case behind somewhere and you're good. If you want absolute top of the line performance then yeah you'd prefer a big case with lots of high power fans and water cooling but you don't need that to get better than iMac performance.

The point of the thread was if he could get away with good wow fps on the 2560x1440 resolution of the iMac but I personally wouldn't trust it. They make great family or living room PC's as you said but not serious machines unless you put out some serious dough.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/02/2012 03:37 PMPosted by Mavendreas
The point of the thread was if he could get away with good wow fps on the 2560x1440 resolution of the iMac but I personally wouldn't trust it. They make great family or living room PC's as you said but not serious machines unless you put out some serious dough.

I have been looking at branded gaming Pc's like Alienware or all in one Pc's like the Dell XPS and none of those have better price than Apple for comparable specs. The XPS top of the line still offer piece of garbage GPU and Alienware have something comparable at 2k with no monitor, but its wasting specs on things like 32g of ram or huge hard disk or blue ray. Same thing at HP

So I went to tiger direct.ca for ghetto gaming PC's: (excluding all AMD/Radeon, I want intel/nvidia). I need to go over 2k for a decent system with a GTX 670 or better and thats without a monitor. The 27' monitor at 2560x1440 are all above $800+

I am sorry but the Apple iMacs are not overprice at all, they may even be bargains compare to what I found in the PC world... and for the price of the gaming Pc's, you can have an imac with the Fusion drive option and the GTX 680 MX
Edited by Herbapou on 12/2/2012 5:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Alienware and Dell XPS are badly priced and is not a true representative of a real good gaming PC

You build your own, then you will see how truly overpriced Apple is

BTW, GTX 680MX gets destroyed by HD 7870 / GTX 660 Ti

Example:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qHpm
i7-3770k + liquid cooling + SLi / XFire / OC capable board
32GB DDR3-1600 RAM
256GB Samsung 840 Pro (best consumer SSD) + 3TB 7200RPM drive
Radeon HD 7970 (HIS IceQ)
Yamakasi Catleap 27" S-IPS (same stuff you see in Apple Cinema monitors) Monitor

$2050

A similar configuration for iMac requires you to cough up $3100 -- and GTX 680MX is thoroughly demolished by Radeon HD 7970
Edited by Kalganized on 12/2/2012 10:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Comparing Apple to Alienware, or Dell's top end XPS line and saying "Oh they're not overpriced" is like going from the Ferrari lot to the Lamborghini lot.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

I am sorry but the Apple iMacs are not overprice at all, they may even be bargains compare to what I found in the PC world...

Not hardly.

For what iMacs cost, you could spec out a real horse of a system from a reputable boutique vendor like Falcon Northwest. I can guarandamntee you that if you blew $2500 on a Falcon box, you'd post benchmarks that would starch your shorts--not just muddle by with a mobility GPU.

The iMac isn't a game machine. It was never meant to be. It does OK, considering, but it's pricepoint just doesn't have a gaming demographic in mind.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]