Why we need to see LFR boss status

90 Human Paladin
What if I WANTED a 2/3? The other day I was doing 2nd half of HoF. Downed 2 first bosses with relative ease but for some reason, I had to bail on last cause of personal issues.

Now previously I could have declined fresh queues until a 2/3 pops up. Now if I'm unlucky, *which I always am* and I was, I got back into a fresh run and had to uselessly kill the first 2 bosses.
93 Blood Elf Warlock
Sorry that I don't agree with the new approach Bashiok. I don't want to reiterate any points that have already been made but I want to add myself to the chorus. I dislike the babysitting that is being created this way. What if I wanted to join a 2/3 raid? What if I don't want to clear the first two bosses and I'm happy to clean up someone else's mess? I'm sorry that I don't care about the thankless valor points rewarded by grinding through multiple bosses. An additional 4 item levels on the exact same item after of hours of boss clearing is poor motivation to keep clearing through the content over and over. Boo.
90 Tauren Hunter
As a healer, I NEVER will do a 1/6 or 2/6 already defeated LFR. EVER.

I will simply place myself on auto-follow, and either afk or simply stand there and heal only myself, in the hopes of either getting kicked and avoiding said debuff, they'll wipe - in which I can leave without said debuff or they'll complete the run without me and I'll get gold or gear. Either way, I get what I want out of the deal.

So... you're just going to be a jerk to the rest of your team. Great player ethic you have going there. I'd love to queue with you.

/sarcasm
90 Orc Shaman
11/29/2012 01:19 PMPosted by Martouff

That's a classy thing to do, and certainly not selfish in any way.

It's not a great thing to do, but if they get kicked after even 10 minutes, they just saved themselves 20. I don't blame them for that at all.

I get it, it's all about the "me".
100 Orc Hunter
11/29/2012 01:19 PMPosted by Martouff

It's not a great thing to do, but if they get kicked after even 10 minutes, they just saved themselves 20. I don't blame them for that at all.
ppl could just save themselves time by taking your stuff so they dont have to go get their own stuff... bet you wouldnt be down with that tho eh?
100 Night Elf Hunter
11/29/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Dezu
I will simply place myself on auto-follow, and either afk or simply stand there and heal only myself, in the hopes of either getting kicked and avoiding said debuff, or they'll complete the run without me and I'll get gold or gear. Either way, I get what I want out of the deal.

They wanted to be classy and not selfish and was told by blizzard that they could not. So they were forced into the raid group they would have declined.

At that point i would expect people to not be happy and you might get unpredictable results.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Instead of removing the number of bosses down when the LFR box pops up for those queueing, what if you gave an incentive to for people join and finish out the raid?

I'm thinking: Misty Satchel of Exotic Mysteries for ALL roles who queue and help finish a raid in progress.

Here's why:

-People who queue and join a raid to find out it's 2/3 bosses down will sometimes still leave. I saw this happen last night as I queued and was placed as tank in Will of the Emperor. I got in and watched as 6-7 people joined and immediately left. It took about 15 minutes of waiting to fill it up and take the boss down.
-As it stands, the only two roles that can receive the Misty Satchel are Tanks and sometimes Healers. DPS has no access to this reward, why not give them the opportunity at a bonus as well as aiding the people who need to complete the raid? It's a win-win!
-The added opportunity at a greater chunk of gold and the RNG of maybe getting a new pet (or mount!) will likely be enough to aid groups who have had multiple people leaving. I know that as a tank I'll open up the LFD queue once in awhile to see if a Misty Satchel is available to me. I'll run it even if I'm maxed on valor for the week.

Essentially what this comes down to is that Positive Reinforcement + a bit of Satchel RNG > Negative reinforcement of the tiny slap on the wrist that is Dungeon Deserter Debuff
Community Manager
11/29/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Pandemagium
What if you are valor capped for the week? What good does killing bosses again do? Or what if you have limited play time, and would rather queue once and get your LFR done in one go? This change doesn't stop 2/6 queues from showing up. It isn't going to speed up anything. Everyone who would have gotten a 2/6 and skipped it, is now forced to do that 2/6 and then hope the next queue works as intended putting you in for the first boss, and then dropping, creating another 2/6 for someone else. I don't see how that helps at all.

Matching random people together with differing interests, preferences, and goals is always going to mean people will be leaving when they feel they want to for... whatever reasons they deem necessary. If you want to have a group that's organized and sticks together, queuing to be matched with strangers has a higher chance of not offering that experience. What we can do, and will continue to strive for, is lessening the social burdens of being matched with strangers in an unknown situation and reducing some of the behaviors that may cause more degenerative uses of the tool - ideally through positive reinforcement, but that's not always possible.

In any case, I don't think anyone thinks any part of the game is perfect, and so much like everything we do it's going to be an ongoing iterative process. Feedback on what you think we can do to make things smoother for you is always helpful.
90 Pandaren Monk
11/29/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Bashiok
What most people don’t realize is that if they get and complete an in-progress run, the next time they queue they will preferentially be placed into a fresh instance.

Ding ding ding ding ding.

This is why I've never made a big deal about getting into a run half-way. Besides, running the place again is another chance to use a coin on a boss that has something I _really_ want.

Only thing that bugs me is occasionally getting a "Ha ha you COULD have gotten [ item ] but you've killed the boss already so you SUCK SUCK SUCK HA HA ENJOY YOUR COMPLIMENTARY SLAP IN THE FACE" window that you guys for whatever ****ing reasons think is a good idea.
Edited by Smakke on 11/29/2012 1:26 PM PST
14 Orc Shaman
I wonder why they decided to implement this random change instead of looking over the issue that some bosses in lfr are just way more difficult then they should be?

Will of Emperor, Ambershaper, Garalon, Windlord can be difficult
11/29/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Naishee
You may think we’re trying to be underhanded, but the reality is we’re trying to help people be more efficient with their play time. What most people don’t realize is that if they get and complete an in-progress run, the next time they queue they will preferentially be placed into a fresh instance.

But BOTH times, you have the queue time, which can be significant. It's been over 25 minutes or more at times for me. Having to do that twice because you entered a run where X bosses were already killed adds a lot of waiting time for when I queue again to get the bosses missed.

It seems to me that whether you decline the 2/6 and requeue, or do the 2/6 and requeue, you still have the same queue time. In fact if you decline the 2/6 more than once you are losing time queuing.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Have you given any thought to awarding Valor points for each boss downed, instead of just the final boss? This would encourage everyone to defeat any boss they come into instead of dropping group.
100 Human Priest
11/29/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Ariktu
There is a huge difference in dungeons versus LFR.

Correct....dungeons you still get loot from the bosses you do kill AND you also get valor credit for completing them even if you queued into the very last boss. Also the bosses take a handfull of minutes worst case to kill...not 30-45 minutes per boss, followed by no loot no credit.
90 Goblin Mage
As a healer, I NEVER will do a 1/6 or 2/6 already defeated LFR. EVER.I will simply place myself on auto-follow, and either afk or simply stand there and heal only myself, in the hopes of either getting kicked and avoiding said debuff, or they'll complete the run without me and I'll get gold or gear. Either way, I get what I want out of the deal.

Since you get instant queues, it should make no difference to you whether you do it in one run starting from the beginning, or in two (last boss first time, then requeue for first two and drop).

What the hell is wrong with you?
90 Tauren Hunter
The way the game is designed now, with CRZ & LFR queues the way they are... You HAVE to look out for yourself and your guildies

So... how does "Never EVER" queueing up for a 1/3 or 2/3 not help you if your next run is pretty much a guaranteed fresh?
90 Draenei Shaman
11/29/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Bashiok
In any case, I don't think anyone thinks any part of the game is perfect, and so much like everything we do it's going to be an ongoing iterative process. Feedback on what you think we can do to make things smoother for you is always helpful.

My own suggestion. Make joining an in progress raid more rewarding. Something like double valor or a CTA satchel. People would be less likely to leave if that happens.
100 Human Warrior
All this whine, its because the little queue time ppl, can't avoid the 2/3 anymore, yeah, that's you "healer". As an altoholic that geared all my alts using LFR, i can tell you this, after entering a in progress raid, then queing to get the ones i missed, NEVER, NEVER, i can't enfatizate on how many NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, and i don't use this word lightly, NEVER, have entered another in progress raid, all subsequent were 0/3.

In countless Deathwing raids, and along another fellow lfr's, i waited, and waited for healers to fill the raid, often, being 2/6 for over 5 to 10 minutes, because, yeah, they had the luxory to cancel if they saw the dreaded 3/4.

So yeah, you "healer" coming as dps in this forum thread, you will NEVER do the same boss again that week, IF you FINISH the first in progress raid you entered.
100 Human Warrior
11/29/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Adiathna
Is this a hypothetical situation? If you're solo-queuing you should be getting a fresh instance when queuing again after completing the previous in-progress run. It's not an absolute guarantee, but pretty close to one.

So that logic IS still in place then?

Pretty sure it is.
I have yet to not get a fresh instance when I complete an in progress one.

And really, it's as the blue post described, right now, all the LFR mobs are so stupidly nerfed there's almost no chance of wiping if you make sure everyone has the basic information needed for the encounter (and really, beyond Garalon, Amber-whathisface and Tsulong, everything else they can just go in blind and still win--hell last night the ding dong tank pulled the stone guardians thinking it was trash without the raid even prepared and we still won).

I actually like having in progress raids, especially if it's on the last mob. I get 90VP for that one and then when I queue again, I get 45 more VP for doing all the mobs + one extra--whereas if I got a fresh one each time I would have had to kill all of them twice for the same VP.

Makes for trivially capping VP these days (I think I have 850 VP for the week as of last night).
90 Night Elf Druid
There's a deserter debuff given if you don't stay and participate in the raid.

As a healer, I NEVER will do a 1/6 or 2/6 already defeated LFR. EVER.

I will simply place myself on auto-follow, and either afk or simply stand there and heal only myself, in the hopes of either getting kicked and avoiding said debuff, they'll wipe - in which I can leave without said debuff or they'll complete the run without me and I'll get gold or gear. Either way, I get what I want out of the deal.

When I run my LFRs for the week, I intend to get only fresh runs and start at the beginning of each instance I do. Period. This change isn't going to change anything for me.

And there are many more people like me apparently, if this change is any indication.

And this is your choice of play-style.

Like myself and others choose to add players like you to our ignore list, so we will not have you added to LFG/LFR groups.

enjoy your increasing Q times, or do you think Queuing as a healer makes you immune to that?
Edited by Frostbringer on 11/29/2012 1:27 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]