Why doesn't Bliz release *full* patch notes?

10 Tauren Shaman
I really wish people were not getting so hostile in here, in the traditional "us-vs-them" mentality, as if Blizzard would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling forum dwellers. I respect the answer you gave, Daxxarri, and, while I hope there is a continued effort on the company's part to coordinate and streamline these release notes, I know it is extremely more complicated than most people on here would believe.

That being said, it is nice to get blue response to "hot" issues like this. As if it counts, for the record, I'm totally 100% in favor of CRZ ;)

They don't release patch notes on big changes, and ignore forum posts asking what's going on. Of course it's going to be a bit hostile.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just a quick note to everyone. Remember that the best debuggers are the people who play the game. Instead of asking "WHY BLIZZARD WHY" ask "was this suppose to be changed or is this a bug?"

Because lets face it finding a bug is just as big a deal as changes to the game. And I've yet to see a game respond to players as well as Blizzard does concerning issues with patches and bugs in general. Right on you Daxx. Job isn't easy, but at least you keep it entertaining. :)
Reply Quote
10 Troll Warlock
I couldn't find in the patch notes whether or not Battle Tags now had the ability to appear offline. It was announced and strings were datamined earlier, but I don't see anything about it.

No, I don't have one and no, I will not make one to find out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The LFR thing should of definitely been mentioned. It is incredibly annoying to have to gamble with your groups time because others could not finish the instance. But the point is moot, there are already ways of finding out if its a partial clear or not without committing your group to the raid. When you play as a group on a limited time frame, I am sorry to say, I want a fresh instance and not to have to run the instance twice. Especially because as a previous poster said, Blizzard is now compounding the problem because if i get a partial instance and than join a new one to complete the bosses i missed, i will just leave, creating another partial instance, so the net gain is nothing.

A better solution would be adding a separate queue for partial lfr (make it random all the wings, and not say how many bosses are left up) but also give out a reward like the satchel of exotic mysteries to people who willingly queue it. That satchel alone is the sole reason i queue 5 mans now, so i can see it compelling some people to queue partials. Plus, it creates a better environment for the group because the new people actually want to be there, instead of getting a big surprise that the boss they wanted is already dead.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Why did PvP Power go up by 10% for DPS, would have been a decent patch balance wise for PvP if this didn't happen.
Reply Quote
No mention of the nerfing of the 70 Reputation achivement ?? Yea this was enuff to make me nerd rage , after working on this for a long time , why dont we cheapen other achives as well ?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Do you really think that we believe that players are happier to find these things out on accident, with no warning? That somehow we think we can slip things by un-detected, when logic, history, and all evidence points to the contrary?

What's the advantage there?

It has been stated by blues numerous times that only a small fraction of players actually browse the forums, and therefore raw data usually suggests the playerbase as a whole doesn't necessarily agree with what might be frequently posted here.

Many players, if you never told them about some of these changes, would never know. And you know that.

We're not necessarily blaming you. Maybe you were never told about these changes either..
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Shaman
Just a quick note to everyone. Remember that the best debuggers are the people who play the game. Instead of asking "WHY BLIZZARD WHY" ask "was this suppose to be changed or is this a bug?"

Because lets face it finding a bug is just as big a deal as changes to the game. And I've yet to see a game respond to players as well as Blizzard does concerning issues with patches and bugs in general. Right on you Daxx. Job isn't easy, but at least you keep it entertaining. :)

This isn't debugging. This is just telling people what they changed! We shouldn't have to ask, it should be documented.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Solution: release a patch note addendum. "Official" additional notes will settle questions of if a change is an actual intended change, and so on.

I've been updating the notes as items are confirmed.

Is there a way though that you can offset them or make them stand out more prominently? Considering I along with many other people have already read all the patch notes, I and many others are most likely not particular to sorting through them again trying to find out what has been added and what was there when the article was originally published.
Edited by Hoyce on 11/28/2012 7:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm honestly not too angry at the undocumented changes. Sure, it's going to make our professions and whatnot a bit harder in Pandaria but honestly...some of these materials (not all) were far too abundant. I'm more concerned about the lack of earlier materials (ones that are located in CRZ) as well as the implementation of guards in Questing Hubs for CRZ zones.

I feel we expect far too much from Blizz sometimes.
Edited by Blightbane on 11/28/2012 7:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Shaman
11/28/2012 07:45 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Solution: release a patch note addendum. "Official" additional notes will settle questions of if a change is an actual intended change, and so on.

I've been updating the notes as items are confirmed.

Aren't they confirmed when the patch goes live?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
11/28/2012 07:33 PMPosted by Daxxarri
The advantage is you can simply ignore addressing the issue like is almost always done with "stealth nerfs." Just change it and not say a word.

I still don't see how that's an advantage. We always have the option of discussing a topic or not. 'Hiding' something would just make people grumpier when it sneaks up on them, which makes it even harder to speak about it in a constructive atmosphere.

I'll be honest: I'm having a hard time picturing how you think things work around here. I admit to having a nice diabolic cackle now and then, but it's not like I'm sitting in front of a bank of monitors each filled with an angry forum thread, stroking a siamese cat and telling my henchmen that they've failed me for the last time.

Best reply I've read on these forums in a long time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
::Heroic Leaps away from Thread::
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I just have this sneaking suspicion that if Daxxari were intentionally leaving players in the dark about changes to the game, Sapperwix would have something to say about it since it's his forum that gets flooded with Bug Reports about intended changes when we all think the Blingtron is broken or whatever the case may be.

And Sapperwix has friends. Goblin friends.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Better solution: actually pay attention to the game you're paid to manage. Probably too much, but still true.

I.e., Warlocks have known about the Chaosbolt DoT nerf for ages now - yet it never appeared in notes. If you're not aware what spells have changed, just check the class forums (or MMO or w/e) and see what the players are talking about. We are more likely to catch PTR changes than team Bliz it seems. Just read our posts and follow-up internally *prior* to releasing notes.

It really just makes you guys seem disorganized and out of touch within your own company.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Shaman
I just have this sneaking suspicion that if Daxxari were intentionally leaving players in the dark about changes to the game, Sapperwix would have something to say about it since it's his forum that gets flooded with Bug Reports about intended changes when we all think the Blingtron is broken or whatever the case may be.

I doubt it's intentional, just ineptitude.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I'm not sure I'd be interested in seeing all the "changed doodad_3_blue to doodad_4_green" statements a full list might contain.

They release what they feel is important to the players. Some thing slip through the cracks at times. But we get most of the good stuff.

But when they don't mention it we feel lied to or that they tried to sneak it behind our backs, but regardless of that fact they stir things up whether they tell us or not.

Yes, but that's the entire point. There's NO reason for them to try to slip something past us, because they won't. We'll notice it. There's 10 million of us. If it's going to cause a problem, it's going to be noticed, patch note or not.

Trying to hide it only causes bad blood. That's a silly idea. They don't try to hide these things, they just miss them. It's not some great conspiracy, it's simple human error.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Shaman

But when they don't mention it we feel lied to or that they tried to sneak it behind our backs, but regardless of that fact they stir things up whether they tell us or not.

Yes, but that's the entire point. There's NO reason for them to try to slip something past us, because they won't. We'll notice it. There's 10 million of us. If it's going to cause a problem, it's going to be noticed, patch note or not.

Trying to hide it only causes bad blood. That's a silly idea. They don't try to hide these things, they just miss them. It's not some great conspiracy, it's simple human error.

Then why don't the CM's tell people on the forum when they ask about these changes? How many threads were posted about the LFR changes without any answer?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

I doubt it's intentional, just ineptitude.

The implication in the original post was that Blizzard is intentionally not announcing certain changes (calling them "stealth nerfs") for some devious end.

And lack of ESP doesn't make anyone inept. One can only post what one is told exists. Since Daxx isn't a one-man patch-producing show, he has to rely on the information he can gather to post the notes (as he said in his post, if you read it).

Once the patch is live, he still has to find out if something is a bug or intentional before posting it to the official patch notes. To post something because it changed without verifying that it was supposed to change would seem rather negligent, no?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
11/28/2012 08:02 PMPosted by Cordanus
Then why don't the CM's tell people on the forum when they ask about these changes? How many threads were posted about the LFR changes without any answer?

There's an answer right here in this thread from Daxxari. They can't do everything immediately.

Then again, if they are trying to hide it they'd just delete these threads and/or pretend like they didn't exist. Instead Daxx is here right now addressing these issues.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]