Why doesn't Bliz release *full* patch notes?

90 Pandaren Monk
I find it rather interesting that no other triple-A MMO developer* has issues with getting complete patch notes posted for their patches. Occasionally a patch goes live that has an undocumented change, but for them that's the exception, not the rule. And when such an event happens, they post the previously undocumented changes in an easy-to-find post on their forums within two weeks; usually in less than a week.
* "triple-A MMO developers" being the makes of games like EQ2, Rift, LOTRO, etc.

This is a Blizzard problem. It's been a problem since beta, though ironically it happened far less back DURING beta. Blizzard is the only triple-A MMO developer that doesn't have their patch notes ready for the patch to go live. Leaving changes out of patch notes equates to the notes not being ready. How many other companies would accept such poor results?

Being a player of many MMOs and thus frequenting the forums of each that I play, I can honestly say I've never seen any of them push a patch live with incomplete patch notes and then ignoring the questions about the changes that were accidentally missed in documentation. That, however, is something Blizzard is known for, even among MMO gamers that have never even touched WoW.

Delay the patch a week to ensure you have all the details of what's going into a patch. Write of the patch notes, proof it, post it and push the patch. We, the players, would much rather see complete patch notes for a patch that's a week late, by a schedule we aren't even privy to in the first place, than to encounter "stealth nerfs" left and right.

I recall turning in incomplete outlines to my college professors and being told that was unacceptable, "redo it and turn it in complete, even if it's late". Again, I can't think of any other business that would accept this sort of thing with the frequency and consistency that Blizzard is guilty of.

I think you do a great job overall, Daxx, but none of what I've read here, or in any of the blue posts over the years about this, have ever made me step back and say "Oh, well I guess it's OK then". Because I look at other developers with less resources and staff that are providing complete notes with patches just as big.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Then why wasn't the Blingtron nerf mentioned? Or the lower spawn rate of herbs? Or the change to the purchase of golden lotus with spirits of harmony? Seems like this is stuff that SHOULD HAVE made it in, but was left out so people wouldn't know.

Wait, they what to the spirits of harmony vendor?

I want a list of these undocumented changes. Seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/29/2012 01:06 AMPosted by Reshaari
Then why wasn't the Blingtron nerf mentioned? Or the lower spawn rate of herbs? Or the change to the purchase of golden lotus with spirits of harmony? Seems like this is stuff that SHOULD HAVE made it in, but was left out so people wouldn't know.

Wait, they what to the spirits of harmony vendor?

I want a list of these undocumented changes. Seriously.

Since they've been publicly called out and actually acknowledged being called out, you'll probably get a list. This time. When 5.2 goes live, expect more undocumented changes and Blizzard ignoring us when we ask what and why about those changes.

With all the players returning from other games to check out MOP, many of them have seen how other developers operate and they're seeing how inefficient and inconsistent Blizzard has been all along.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Sadly, I too am here to do nothing other than voice complaints about undocumented changes, The drop rate for Motes of harmony were nerfed a while ago, now the trade exchange value is nerfed, I dont really Have the time to farm for them nonstop when there is very few nodes as is.

The change to LFR is a complete joke, youve done nothing but exascerbate the issue, Forcing people to accept queues into incomplete raids, then making them WAIT the queues out again? Sure you "SHOULD" get a fresh instance next time, but possibly you are missing the oft 20-40 minute wait times you just doubled?

At the same time assuring that people will be CONSTANTLY dropping because theyve "already" finished this boss in some other run.

Jeez. is about all i can say politely.
Way to miserably bone this one Blizz. Kudos.
/rant
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The change to LFR is a complete joke, youve done nothing but exascerbate the issue, Forcing people to accept queues into incomplete raids, then making them WAIT the queues out again? Sure you "SHOULD" get a fresh instance next time, but possibly you are missing the oft 20-40 minute wait times you just doubled?

If people wouldn't leave because of a single wipe, spots wouldn't open up for others to fill. The week Garalon came out, and the following week with Amber Shaper, I suffered no less than seven wipes on each boss for their first week in the LFR. I didn't leave the LFR because doing so would mean waiting in line just to fight them anyway. But LFR is populated with tons of "tissue raiders"* that want to be carried. This change just makes it so people can't say "oh... 2/3? Well, I don't wanna join THAT group since they clearly suck" or "oh... 2/3? I'll wait until later so I can get a fresh run", causing that group to sit and wait longer because no one will take the queue. It's a good change. I won't defend their lack of documentation on the change, though. That's just unprofessional.

*tissue raiders - one wipe and they're done.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
11/29/2012 01:25 AMPosted by Mushimushi
*tissue raiders - one wipe and they're done.

Ok I had to chuckle.

Lol.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
11/28/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Daxxarri
So it's just coincidence that almost all of the stuff that you "forgot" to put in the patch notes are things that negatively impact the game?

I have a question for you:

Do you really think that we believe that players are happier to find these things out on accident, with no warning? That somehow we think we can slip things by un-detected, when logic, history, and all evidence points to the contrary?

What's the advantage there?

Do these people not work for Blizzard?
Are they incapable of reporting exactly what they did to the client? They have to be telling someone, or getting instructions from someone.

What we have here... is... a failure, a-to communicate, and it's on your end.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the honesty here Dax. It's appreciated (at least by some).

Just a thought: To try to get more complete patch notes, maybe there's a way you could parse changes in the source code or whatever configuration files you guys use to summarize the kinds of changes that happened since the last live build. It might be hard to understand the specific changes from source code, but it could make it easier to ask, "hey there are changes in the raid finder module (or w/e it is), do we have any notes that might cover those?"
Edited by Selendis on 11/29/2012 1:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Any word on the massive nerf to fool's cap spawn rate?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
11/29/2012 01:11 AMPosted by Bacpack
The drop rate for Motes of harmony were nerfed a while ago

Wait, what? By all appearances the drop rate was buffed right before the patch.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/29/2012 03:50 AMPosted by Kyrthae
The drop rate for Motes of harmony were nerfed a while ago

Wait, what? By all appearances the drop rate was buffed right before the patch.

The 5 stacks of raw turtle meat, 3 stacks of prismatic scales, countless stacks of sha-touched leather and exotic leather, and 4 motes of of harmony my pally got from turtle farming Sunday say otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Blizz needs to find some way to keep people in the raid for the whole thing from boss 1 to until the end.

No they don't, that is the great thing about the raid finder is people pop in and out easily and quickly.

Forcing people who no longer wish to be in group for any reason to remain in the group is just not beneficial to anyone.

I mean hell we already have people just standing around in battlegrounds doing nothing but avoiding auto afk simply because they don't want to incur the deserter debuff, we don't need people doing it in raids.

Furthermore in a perfect world if someone queued for an lfr raid that they had already partially completed the matchmaking system would first try to place them into a raid that had already completed those bosses"

As for the deserter Debuff in battlegrounds it should do little more than remove any honor obtained from the battleground you deserted.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
It is very simple for blizzard to ignore issues players bring up all they have to do is unsticky the thread and ignore it until it gets bumped off the main page. the heart of fear screw up from 2 weeks ago, not everyone got their coins and blizzard unstickied the thread and ignored it rather than fix the problems people were still having.

Out of sight out of mind. here is a link anyway

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004017847?page=47

Blizzard is it contempt or incompetance that your displaying towards your customers? If this attitude keeps up your going to lose alot more customers than you did in Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Man, I can't imagine what it would be like if every day at work, thousands of angry whiners continually told me how bad a job they thought I was doing.

Every post I read just serves to increase the level of respect I have for Daxxarri and the whole community team.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Man, I can't imagine what it would be like if every day at work, thousands of angry whiners continually told me how bad a job they thought I was doing.

Every post I read just serves to increase the level of respect I have for Daxxarri and the whole community team.

Considering us angry whiners pay for a working product, it would be noce if it was a complete product instead of a cherry picked one. If blizzard did not charge any money for their game and people complained, then yes they would be whiners.

People that use their own money for goods tend to like it when their moneys worth. People that have other people pay for their goods tend to call those that pay entitled.

To all the stupid people out there it is not entitlement to complain when your product fails to meet its expectations. or in simpler terms We have a right to complain when blizzard chooses to ignore complaints and to cherry pick what they want to tell us they have changed, as it conflicts with our playing the game.

Simple expectations are to release full patch notes,
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
why blizz even replies on some of these forums is beyond me if they gave every bit of detail we would have someone !@#$%ing about how long it is and it needs to be shortened you cant please everyone informative or not they will still play people take this game a bit too serious if you ask me god if blizz listened to every whiny ^-* player id hate to see where the game would be right now and by god i thank them for that......let em !@#$% and moan just sucks that i come on the site to get some info and its all i see nag nag nag over every little thing cry me a frigging river already sheesh !!!
Edited by Lytebringer on 11/29/2012 5:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]