Reroll: Warlock or Hunter?

90 Undead Priest
I need a break from healing for a bit and I was looking to reroll a DPS class.
Which would be the better class for:
Arenas?
WPvP?
Solo'ing Old Content?
Raiding?
Which do you have more fun on and why?

Affliction and Marksmen are my favorite specs of the two!

I know the saying is pick which class is fun to you, but I want to see what's fun for others before I decide! Thanks!
Edited by Baww on 11/28/2012 9:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I dont do much pvp this expansion yet....

Raiding: Logs showing AFF in the top dps, Demo in the top/mid and Dest about mid. Hunters of all 3 flavors near the bottom.

Soloing Old world: Demon Lock most definitely. TONS more AOE (Dark Apoth) and self heals through the roof.

I stopped leveling my BM hunter about 89 1/2 and switched to leveling a Demon Lock. I had WAY more fun and when I finally hit 90 I tried going back to my Hunter. Took a noticeable bit more time to kill a single mob than it did as my Lock.

Just my $.02

O and I been readin that Aff PVP SUCKS bigtime (again no experience just what I'm reading). Demon is the "go to" pvp spec.
Edited by Locuid on 11/28/2012 10:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
not hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I dont do much pvp this expansion yet....

Raiding: Logs showing AFF in the top dps, Demo in the top/mid and Dest about mid. Hunters of all 3 flavors near the bottom.

Soloing Old world: Demon Lock most definitely. TONS more AOE (Dark Apoth) and self heals through the roof.

I stopped leveling my BM hunter about 89 1/2 and switched to leveling a Demon Lock. I had WAY more fun and when I finally hit 90 I tried going back to my Hunter. Took a noticeable bit more time to kill a single mob than it did as my Lock.

Just my $.02

O and I been readin that Aff PVP SUCKS bigtime (again no experience just what I'm reading). Demon is the "go to" pvp spec.

Yeah I hear affliction sucks as well because there is less burst?
I'm really not a fan of demo. I have only played one up to level 45 though.
Destro and Affliction are more fun IMO.
And chaos bolt got turned into a dot? That can be dispelled? :/
Is affliction the best for Raiding because of multi target fights?

11/29/2012 02:20 AMPosted by Jamalz
not hunter.

Why not? I see quite a few top rated players.
Was this pre stampede, bestail wrath, and lynx rush nerf?
I have never liked BM anyways.
MM can cast and move now! Is this not an epic change?
Also I have heard Camp - Power shot - chimera - blink strike is awesome burst!
I see that they are low on raid charts ):
Weren't they towards the top in wotlk and cats?
Edited by Baww on 11/29/2012 4:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
86 Human Warlock
11/29/2012 04:53 AMPosted by Baww

the 25% extra damage on chaos bolt from grim sac was turned into a 3 second dot
Edited by Vladislaw on 11/29/2012 5:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
11/29/2012 05:21 AMPosted by Vladislaw

the 25% extra damage on chaos bolt from grim sac was turned into a 3 second dot

Ahh so its burst was nerfed 25%? Does this make destro less viable?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Arenas?
WPvP?
Solo'ing Old Content?
Raiding?

I know the saying is pick which class is fun to you, but I want to see what's fun for others before I decide! Thanks!

Roll shadow, OP as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I wouldn't choose a class based on what numbers it is currently pulling as that changes quite a bit. Also since you picked hunter/warlock I'm not sure if you are looking for a pet class but mostly warlock specs don't play with a pet out at end game so if that matters or not to you then you may want to keep that in mind. Hunters and Warlocks are very different in how they play so I'd suggest trying both to level 40 or something and seeing which you enjoy more.

I've always enjoyed my warlock quite a bit. Been playing is since BC released. Multi dotting is a lot of fun and really strong on certain fights. I really don't care for the new destruction spec but demo and affliction are both pretty strong and all of our specs play out very differently.
Edited by Lamest on 11/29/2012 7:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

Arenas?
WPvP?
Solo'ing Old Content?
Raiding?

I play both classes at 90 almost equally and I'll give you my $0.02 ...

Arena, go Affliction Warlock.
WPvP, toss up.
Solo'ing old content: Definitely Hunter.
Raiding: Warlock. Hunters are at or near the bottom whereas Warlocks are at or near the top.

I enjoy them both, but enjoy my Warlock more than my Hunter these days.

MM Hunters are not in a good place right now. Affliction Warlocks are in a good place right now.

If it was between MM and Affliction for me, I'd go Affliction in a heart beat. I still can't give up on my Hunter though ... she's still fun to play, but the numbers are just disheartening these days.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I wouldn't choose a class based on what numbers it is currently pulling as that changes quite a bit. Also since you picked hunter/warlock I'm not sure if you are looking for a pet class but mostly warlock specs don't play with a pet out at end game so if that matters or not to you then you may want to keep that in mind. Hunters and Warlocks are very different in how they play so I'd suggest trying both to level 40 or something and seeing which you enjoy more.

I've always enjoyed my warlock quite a bit. Been playing is since BC released. Multi dotting is a lot of fun and really strong on certain fights. I really don't care for the new destruction spec but demo and affliction are both pretty strong and all of our specs play out very differently.

I actually don't like warlock pets! But I like hunter ones.
Weird, right?
Do you solo old content with your lock?
Or any wpvp?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

Arenas?
WPvP?
Solo'ing Old Content?
Raiding?

WPvP, toss up.
Raiding: Warlock. Hunters are at or near the bottom whereas Warlocks are at or near the top.

MM Hunters are not in a good place right now. Affliction Warlocks are in a good place right now.

If it was between MM and Affliction for me, I'd go Affliction in a heart beat. I still can't give up on my Hunter though ... she's still fun to play, but the numbers are just disheartening these days.

Good luck!

Do you like the MM cast while moving change?
What makes the hunter better at soloing? Pet heals?
I feel like affliction would be staring at dot timers.
I played Survival in WotLK Nd I enjoyed that spec as well.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
The cast while moving change works for Survival too. I actually do like it. But I can cast while moving on my Warlock, so this is nothing new for me. It's something this classes needed a few years ago, not now. Fox/Hawk macro swapping sucked.

Pet heals and a more hearty pet at soloing. It's 100 times easier to do Kael on my Hunter than on my Warlock.

Affliction really only has one dot to watch. Agony. The other two are refreshed through Fel Flame put into your rotation.

I really enjoy Survival and I do hope they give it some love. Hell, give BM some love through DoTs. Just no more MM. It's had it's time to shine for all expansions ... it's time for another spec to rise up and be the top for more than a month.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Go spriest. I see you have shadow as the second spec there. Just do DPS-y things in your shadow spec. From what I've seen shadow is respectable in PvP at the moment, does respectable DPS in raiding, etc.

You can DPS in your healing gear even. They give you enough hit conversion from spirit that you don't need to regear unless you want to.

Only thing you'd need to do is farm a resil set for PvP. That's it.

If you really insist on rolling another toon, probably a warlock will be closer to an spriest playstyle that you're already familiar with. You get a few more dots, a couple of lazors and a nuke bolt that you shoot only when you have enough resources. Oh, and a few more fears, depending on the talents you take.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

WPvP, toss up.

Good luck!

Do you like the MM cast while moving change?
What makes the hunter better at soloing? Pet heals?
I feel like affliction would be staring at dot timers.
I played Survival in WotLK Nd I enjoyed that spec as well.

you could always cast while moving as marks, you know can cast aimed shot while moving which still doesn't make it worth using since it only does decent damage to one class.
Edited by Jamalz on 11/29/2012 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Arenas?
WPvP?
Solo'ing Old Content?
Raiding?

Arenas would go to locks, as it stands hunters have no real choice of a spec for that part of pvp.

Wpvp - Would still be locks

Soloing old content would be a toss up not to sure ho the changes they made to lok pet threat are holding up to ours.

Raiding would also go to locks by a big margin.

I enjoy both classes to be honest, however locks have better potential
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I would argue that warlocks much better designed now than are hunters. Hunters are kind of a mess from that standpoint actually.

Their specs have little differentiation (here, you get x shot/command and a different maintenance buff/debuff to keep up. Apply serpent sting, spam arcane shot and have fun) and focus is a bad resource system. They also have some pretty severe ability bloat (just logging onto my hunter and looking at by keybinds makes my head hurt).

So not really knowing what your personal preferences are, I'd say you'd have a better chance of finding warlocks more enjoyable than hunters.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Do yourself a favor and don't go hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Key binds are no problem for me.
I use 36 on my priest and I could use 48 if I wanted to.
I have seen conflicting posts on Hunter dps especially according to SIMS.

Are hunters that bad or are people/Sims using the wrong stat weights?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter

not hunter.

Why not? I see quite a few top rated players.
Was this pre stampede, bestail wrath, and lynx rush nerf?
I have never liked BM anyways.
MM can cast and move now! Is this not an epic change?
Also I have heard Camp - Power shot - chimera - blink strike is awesome burst!
I see that they are low on raid charts ):
Weren't they towards the top in wotlk and cats?

Yes. Hunters are atrocious now. Warlocks are vastly superior in PvE and PvP at the moment.
Edited by Peverell on 11/30/2012 7:19 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]