some warlock tips for me.

so i have been playing level 90 for a while now but i'm not doing enough damage i'm using affliction my spell rotation is corruption bane of agony unstable affliction curse of elements then Malefic Grasp then when target is low on health drain soul so am i doing anything wrong so anything i can fix up?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Why do you cast curse of elements after all the dots are up? =\

My usual rotation on bosses go:

Curse of Elements
Soulburn > Soul Swap
Dark Soul: Misery
Haunt
Malefic Grasp

Then refresh my dots when there is about 7-10 seconds left. Also I try to make it so I MG for the full duration of haunt, meaning having all 3 of your dots above 10 seconds. This allows you to MG for the full duration giving max dmg during the 25% increase of Haunt. Then of course Drain soul at 20%.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
The only rotation that affliction has is in the first 5 seconds of the fight. The rest is a cluster poop of watching mods.

So get the affdots mod and recast based on green lights.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
One thing about that addon confuses me: Yellow basically means were not suppose to refresh unless we're switching targets and I thought as a warlock we weren't suppose to ever let a dot fall off, right? Well, even when my dots have 2 ticks left they stay yellow..is that normal? I always liked to refresh right when I was at the halfway point due to pandemic and not being hitcapped. Its easier to refresh a dot this way and not suffer for reforging hit as opposed to waiting until 1 or 2 seconds are left. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the addon.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
My best guess to this is the fact that your level 90 talent increases the duration of your dots when refreshed by half of the original duration so if you are switching targets, unless you cast the original dot under the effect of a spell power or haste buff, it will not be a loss in dps and will make it more manageable when switching around. Perhaps I am wrong but this is my understanding of how the new level 90 talent was intended to function.

just went and read the tooltip after posting this because I did not want to give false info to you.. The way it works is that any Dot that is under 50% of its duration left that is refreshed will have what is left + the full duration added together..

so when switching mobs if you had a 18 second DoT up, refreshing it anytime 9 seconds and below will not result in any dps loss other than situations in which I previously stated (origional dot was cast under the effect of a sp or haste buff and so on.)
Edited by Heydez on 11/29/2012 8:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
11/29/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Neueziel
One thing about that addon confuses me: Yellow basically means were not suppose to refresh unless we're switching targets and I thought as a warlock we weren't suppose to ever let a dot fall off, right? Well, even when my dots have 2 ticks left they stay yellow..is that normal? I always liked to refresh right when I was at the halfway point due to pandemic and not being hitcapped. Its easier to refresh a dot this way and not suffer for reforging hit as opposed to waiting until 1 or 2 seconds are left. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the addon.
It is ok to let a more powerful dot to fall off. Although I'm not sure about the new agony since it drops the stack.

Yellow is a complicated gray area as it is sometimes better and sometimes worse to refresh the dots. It depends on how much worse the dot damage is, fight mechanics, and buffs that may become available soon. But in general, you only want to refresh a yellow indicator around 2 ticks left to allow for missing.
Reply Quote
thanks for the responses i think that this info will help me a bit thanks alot!
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
11/29/2012 08:54 AMPosted by Ssiard
It is ok to let a more powerful dot to fall off. Although I'm not sure about the new agony since it drops the stack.

Yellow is a complicated gray area as it is sometimes better and sometimes worse to refresh the dots. It depends on how much worse the dot damage is, fight mechanics, and buffs that may become available soon. But in general, you only want to refresh a yellow indicator around 2 ticks left to allow for missing.

Alright, thanks a lot for the tip.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
Why do you cast curse of elements after all the dots are up? =\

My usual rotation on bosses go:

Curse of Elements
Soulburn > Soul Swap
Dark Soul: Misery
Haunt
Malefic Grasp

Then refresh my dots when there is about 7-10 seconds left. Also I try to make it so I MG for the full duration of haunt, meaning having all 3 of your dots above 10 seconds. This allows you to MG for the full duration giving max dmg during the 25% increase of Haunt. Then of course Drain soul at 20%.

Isn't it better to cast DS first then SS your dots on? It was my understanding Dots take a screenshot of your stats when cast, wouldnt your dots be missing out on the extra haste from DS if you cast them first?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
11/29/2012 09:24 AMPosted by Greenbomber
It was my understanding Dots take a screenshot of your stats when cast, wouldnt your dots be missing out on the extra haste from DS if you cast them first?

That is correct.
Reply Quote
ok so im doing better with my spells but what about the talents? so far im using:
-Soul leech
-Shadowfury
-sacrificial pact
-burning rush
-grimoire of supremacy
-and for the level 90 talent i didnt really choose anything so am i good here or what?
Edited by Acko on 11/29/2012 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]