Leveling Leatherworking

90 Troll Priest
Maybe its just me, but I have been getting 1 piece of medium/heavy/thick leather at a time. Is it a bug or am I just that unfortunate?
Reply Quote
Most of the time you will get one. At times you'll get more, especially with the guild perk.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
That never use to be the case though. Not sure how that even makes sense to begin with. You find a vein, you get a decent amount of ore, usually 2-4. You don't have to kill any mobs to get ore. Same goes with herbing. BUT with skinning why should I have to kill 100 mobs to get roughly 110-125 leather. Sorry, it just never use to be that way. Not sure why the change now....
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
What do you mean by "it never used to be that way". It has always been one mob equals one skin up until Cata when you had a ridiculously low chance for 2 for level 85 mobs. You are discovering why there are fewer and fewer LWs around.
Reply Quote
Skinning works that way because it seems to be built around the assumption that you're lvling LW while lvling the toon. Since you're likely killing lots of skinnable quest/random mobs, you're generating lots of leather along the way so your profs can keep pace. Puts people who lvl thru LFG/BGs in a bind, tho, since they have less to skin while lvling. And makes switching at higher lvls a real pain. Just wait until you start getting 20 leather for every Prismatic Scale and be glad you don't use mail.
Reply Quote
68 Dwarf Warrior
Skinning yields change gradually as the mobs increase in level.

But there aren't enough different leather types to change at each level.

So mobs at one level will yield (on average) 1 Foo leather,
mobs a little higher 2-3 Foo leather,
mobs the next above that 3-4 Foo leather
mobs the next above 1 Bar leather (5 Foo = 1 Bar, as we all know)
and so on.
Edited by Narisa on 12/8/2012 10:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I leveled skinning to 600 before dropping for LW. Obviously that wasn't enough, I knew it wouldn't be. I spent weeks buying the cheaper leathers on the AH and knowing my prices. I had a spreadsheet list with the mats I would need, and how many of each leather to farm/buy (thanks wow-professions.com! seriously.) edit - I mean it just gave the list of leather, I put them in my own spreadsheet. same thing basically. it was basic, I just put leather name and amount needed, then another tab beside with how much I actually had.

Unless you REALLY like skinning and I mean lots of skinning if you want to farm all the mats yourself, I wouldn't start LW without leveling a skinner of your own and at least 10k gold to play around with. That way you can farm through the chokepoints that are just TOO expensive, even for someone with gold to pay, but you can also buy your way through the cheaper parts which is a better use of time.
Edited by Swarrzk on 12/8/2012 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Skinning yields change gradually as the mobs increase in level.

But there aren't enough different leather types to change at each level.

So mobs at one level will yield (on average) 1 Foo leather,
mobs a little higher 2-3 Foo leather,
mobs the next above that 3-4 Foo leather
mobs the next above 1 Bar leather (5 Foo = 1 Bar, as we all know)
and so on.

This.

Usually when you're in the transition levels - from light to medium leather, for example, you'll get a mob that either skins 2 light, or 1 medium.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]