Portal shard disappointment

90 Human Paladin
I was extremely excited about this addition to cooking. For those of you that are not aware, Portal shards were a special seed that allows you to "grow" a portal to your faction's major cities.

I have just learned, however, that they are only usable at Sunsong Ranch. This location is trivial flight to Vale of Eternal Blossoms to use their portals.

On a side note, why were all the portals removed from Dalaran only to be added back to a central location in Vale? Seems counter-intuitive to the reasons Blizzard originally stated for removing the portals in Dalaran. But I digress....

I find the location restriction to defeat the purpose of the portal for the reason I previously stated about being close to your factions major portals AND our hearth being 15 minutes to allow us to port to vale anyway.

TL DR: Is anyone else disappointed with the location requirement of the portal shards?

My SUGGESTION would be that they become HARDER to obtain. Perhaps only grow two per day and LET THEM Be used every where. Thus we would have to ration them and still rely on mages.

Keep it random to which portal you get...
Edited by Aclyn on 11/30/2012 6:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The use at sunsong ranch doesn't bother me, but the item you get is to only one city. So I currently have one that will port me to Darnnie, and one that will port me to the Exodar. You can't get a specific portal, you have to grow them and hope the one you want shows up.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
They're useless.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I can't find the guy that sells the seeds! Only saw him on day one of patch and bought 4 to try them out.

On a PvP server, when the place is crazy and your hearthstone is on CD, you can't get to the FP - so use this from your farm sanctuary. I have various cloaks/tabards and Deepholm potions and Dal ring and stuff so I don't think I'll need these seeds but it'll be good for some one who'e not a mage or a alchy-hoarder like me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I can't find the guy that sells the seeds! Only saw him on day one of patch and bought 4 to try them out.

On a PvP server, when the place is crazy and your hearthstone is on CD, you can't get to the FP - so use this from your farm sanctuary. I have various cloaks/tabards and Deepholm potions and Dal ring and stuff so I don't think I'll need these seeds but it'll be good for some one who'e not a mage or a alchy-hoarder like me.

He shows up randomly. I believe you have to be revered with the tillers and once you are (and he is there that day) you will get a quest that asks you to talk to him.

You can buy AS many as you want, and they are 2 gold a piece. So buy a bunch and you won't have to worry about him being there or not to buy some.
Edited by Aclyn on 11/30/2012 6:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
53 Troll Hunter
Its not a trivial flight. Using that portal saves you maybe 4 or 5 min.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Do you have a 60% ground mount?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
That's why I rolled a mage.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I really don't find a use for it, but I think that's partly the intent. It's not for everyone's constant use, just for particular situations or players who know they'll need it.
Edited by Eviloven on 11/30/2012 6:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The use at sunsong ranch doesn't bother me, but the item you get is to only one city. So I currently have one that will port me to Darnnie, and one that will port me to the Exodar. You can't get a specific portal, you have to grow them and hope the one you want shows up.

I see your point. However, I'm Okay with this since, if we were able to grow whatever we wanted, then 100% reliable mage portals would be worthless. So this "uncertainty" of which portals you will get...and having to grow alot to keep the ones you need makes it balanced IMO.

However why does it matter when the portals to all the cities are right above you and just an instant hearth away.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/30/2012 06:15 PMPosted by Eviloven
I really don't find a use for it, but I think that's partly the intent. It's not for everyone's constant use, just for particular situations or players who know they'll need i

I agree....My SUGGESTION would be that they become HARDER to obtain. Perhaps only grow two per day and LET THEM Be used every where. Thus we would have to ration them and still rely on mages.

Keep it random to which portal you get...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
11/30/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Huntah

If you hearth in VotEB, you can walk from your Hearthstone to the Portal Room in ~20 seconds tops (and that's if you forget which room the portal room is if you play both Alliance and Horde).

OR

You can fly all the way to Sunsong Ranch and THEN use your Portal Shard.

Um........

I don't really see a use for these portal shards myself. Not when you must be standing in Sunsong Ranch to use them. Even if my Hearthstone were down, it takes me 60-90 seconds to fly from Sunsong Ranch to the Shrine (Horde takes about 10-20 seconds more than Alliance does).

Add about 10-15 seconds of walking and... well, the Portal Shard saves me about 1-1.5 minutes.

And on top of that, I can't choose which city the shard comes out as when I pick it. When I pick a Portal Shard up, it gives me a RANDOM city's shard.

So... I can either plant lots of shards and pray I get the RIGHT shard....or.....

I can plant Songbells and just fly the extra 1-1.5min and hop in a Shrine portal instead.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/30/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Aclyn

I see your point. However, I'm Okay with this since, if we were able to grow whatever we wanted, then 100% reliable mage portals would be worthless. So this "uncertainty" of which portals you will get...and having to grow alot to keep the ones you need makes it balanced IMO.

However why does it matter when the portals to all the cities are right above you and just an instant hearth away.

Umm..I don't really care about mage portals. It's not like there's mages at Halfhill hocking their services that are going to be somehow undercut. Not that I've seen anyway. I' not the type to spend 10mins looking for an obliging mage when I can just fly to a portal elsewhere anyway.

I just don't fancy filling my bags up with stuff that isn't particularly useful trying to get something that is, but that's ok, I don't plan to grow any more :)

The Shrine isn't an instant hearth away, not everyone hearths to the Shrine. Personally, I hearth to Halfhill.
Reply Quote
So... I can either plant lots of shards and pray I get the RIGHT shard....or.....

I can plant Songbells and just fly the extra 1-1.5min and hop in a Shrine portal instead.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Perhaps this is the first step in removing the portals from the shrines? Dun-dun-dun!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The Shrine isn't an instant hearth away, not everyone hearths to the Shrine. Personally, I hearth to Halfhill.

Even if you hearth at Halfhill and assuming you have at least 280% flying, you can get to your Shrine Portals in <2min if you memorize exactly where to aim at the mountains (hint: the waterfall and its ornate face makes for a nice target).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
11/30/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Kneepunch
Perhaps this is the first step in removing the portals from the shrines? Dun-dun-dun!

I'm not one to say "I'm quitting" but... them removing the town portals from the Shrines would be one of those things that'd seriously make me consider quitting the game. Seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/30/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Migina

Even if you hearth at Halfhill and assuming you have at least 280% flying, you can get to your Shrine Portals in <2min if you memorize exactly where to aim at the mountains (hint: the waterfall and its ornate face makes for a nice target).

Sure, I was just pointing out that the shrine portals aren't an 'instant hearth' as someone else said. I don't find not hearthing to the Shrine that much of a hassle, but I also don't go back to the other cities much.

You use the portals where you've just harvested them. I don't think the intention was to allow you to go to a major city from any place in Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I just wish portals were added back to Dalaran.

You don't even have to add one that goes to Pandaland, just the older ones.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you hearth in VotEB, you can walk from your Hearthstone to the Portal Room in ~20 seconds tops (and that's if you forget which room the portal room is if you play both Alliance and Horde).

OR

You can fly all the way to Sunsong Ranch and THEN use your Portal Shard.

Um........

I don't really see a use for these portal shards myself. Not when you must be standing in Sunsong Ranch to use them. Even if my Hearthstone were down, it takes me 60-90 seconds to fly from Sunsong Ranch to the Shrine (Horde takes about 10-20 seconds more than Alliance does).

Add about 10-15 seconds of walking and... well, the Portal Shard saves me about 1-1.5 minutes.

And on top of that, I can't choose which city the shard comes out as when I pick it. When I pick a Portal Shard up, it gives me a RANDOM city's shard.

Exactly my mentality on the subject.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]