Seriously though, who made this item? This is so useless. The portals to town are a very short flight away.
Portal shard disappointment
That doesn't help if you'd like to portal to Dalaran or Shattrath though since there's no shards for those destinations. They'd be more interesting if you could get portals for more esoteric destinations like Caverns of Time, Area 52, Karazhan, etc.
They might be nicer and have more incentive to grow them if the farm becomes a rest area in 5.2 though.
1. They come in very limited supply: The seller isn't in Halfhill all the time.
2. The shard to be planted and the resulting portal are soulbound and untradable/unsellable.
3. They have a 100% chance of spawning a fight (voidstalker with no specials), making them even more annoying than planting crops - at least there's a chance of a non-violent action there.
4. The portal gained is random for the faction growing it. You can get any major city of your faction, whether you want it or not.
5. The shard can only be used at Halfhill.
6. Each shard has a limited shelf-life -- they will eventually despawn if unused -- time limit has yet to be nailed down accurately.
I see no reason to bother.
I tried one (will harvest it tonight) just to see what would happen, but some research has shown that the 'benefit' gaines vs. the expense and time is almost indistignuishable from zero.
If the one I've tried isn't of immediate use, I'll just dump it. And I won't be doing any more unless there's a major overhaul of their functionality.
i have only grown 1 and when i realized it was per city i just dumped it. has anyone gotten enough of 1 city to see if they stack or does it fill 2 bag spaces for say 2 darnassus shards?
Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.