Suggestion: crafting hall.

90 Gnome Rogue
Step 1: create an account wide phased area similar to the player's farm at half hill.

Step 2: make this area a crafting workshop, with one area for each crafting profession. Each area is unlocked by reaching max skill level in that profession (on any character on the server)

You could even put a vault in the area to act as storage for crafting mats, or maybe just one profession specific bag per area. You can install/unlock things like forges, anvils, alchemy labs, trade good vendors, etc.

Or, this could be implemented as a guild function, and each section could be either bought with gold, or unlocked by maxxing the appropriate profession...or through guild achievements. In the guild version, you gain access to the recipes of your guild mates.

You could even have it so individual recipes are unlocked separately, if you wanted, or restrict the area by guild rank or guild rep
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
What's the point? I read this and I wonder why not go to any town and use my bank, the anvil and such there...I see zero point to this at all.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Priest
The vault idea is the best thing ive heard to be a solution to not have to mail items between alts.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I believe the point is to allow you to use all of your professions from one character, which is essentially allowing one character to use all of the professions. But this really negates the purpose of the profession system as if one person can do it, so can the other 5k players on your server.

As for the vault idea, you can already do this, simply create a guild bank. The only thing you can't trade between characters would be BoP items like the spirits of harmony, but Blizzard wouldn't let the vault circumvent this system anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
the idea was originally meant as a way to benefit from either having alts with maxxed professions, or allowing people to level professions, unlock them (and then drop it if they wanted).

The vault was more of a storage for crafting mats, where those specific mats would be held so you dont have to carry them. crafted items would take materials from the vault first, then your personal bags.

Personally, i hate having to transfer alts if/when i transfer my main (simply for crafting purposes).

The way they designed cooking in MoP could open up a lot of possibilities if applied to the other professions, especially when combined with something similar to the farm at halfhill. You could even have rep for the 'guild' of each profession (ie, blacksmiths guild, enchanter's guild, etc), with recipes unlocking at each level.

Essentially, any raider that takes himself seriously has to juggle around professions if he ever server changes, or spend tons of money transferring multiple chars. This would be a way to reward players for a large amount of effort, consolidate the crafting process, and add something new(ish) and interesting to the game.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
This sounds like a great area to add...To the player owned houses we're never going to get.

/cry
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
This idea is dangerous. To people who love professions, it sounds tempting because you could do all the professions. Ultimately, though, it would make professions pointless because everyone would be able to do them, and no one would buy your wares.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Yeah they'll never do this and honestly this is a horrible idea. This is just another step toward making characters meaningless. First off this is way too much coding for very very very little benefit. Oh yay, I don't have to alt hop to make things *wiggles finger* it's not that annoying. Plus if they do this, it's no better than just letting a single character learn every profession himself.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
You're not supposed to be able to make everything yourself; you're supposed to sell the stuff you can make and use the money to buy the stuff you can't. That's why there's a two-profession limit. You're allowed to work around this with alts, but don't hold your breath waiting for Blizzard to implement anything to facilitate this. it's not how they want you to play the game.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Oh yay, I don't have to alt hop to make things *wiggles finger* it's not that annoying

It's not about alt hopping. Cuts about having to spend $100 or more to transfer gathering toons, you enchanter, alchemist, (or level a new toon) etc just to feel comfortable raiding. If I've leveled all the profs at least 3x. There's no reason to force me to pay to have access to them.

That's why there's a two-profession limit.

This is an antiquaited concept. There's no reason to limit professions. Some people like leveling professions and crafting, some don't. There's no reason to limit players options.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
it would make professions pointless because everyone would be able to do them

Everyone can ALREADY do them via alts. This would just consolidate the system.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
12/04/2012 04:33 AMPosted by Critaholic
Everyone can ALREADY do them via alts. This would just consolidate the system.

Not everyone levels alts. Not everyone this expansion is going to waste time leveling their alts to 90 (at least not as long as there is stuff to do on your main). And then not everyone is going to farm for the spirit of harmony and rep needed to make the items.

It feels like the point of your "consolidation" is to circumvent this system, drastically increasing the supply of crafters while killing demand for the products.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Not everyone levels alts. Not everyone this expansion is going to waste time leveling their alts to 90 (at least not as long as there is stuff to do on your main). And then not everyone is going to farm for the spirit of harmony and rep needed to make the items.

By your own logic, the people that WANT a feature like this already have alts doing the crafting...and those that dont want a system like this, dont craft on multiple toons now. All this would do is allow everyone to do what they do now, except the ones that enjoy crafting/alts would have an easier time of it. You still have the same amount of suppliers, they just dont have to switch characters to do so.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
By your own logic, the people that WANT a feature like this already have alts doing the crafting...and those that dont want a system like this, dont craft on multiple toons now. All this would do is allow everyone to do what they do now, except the ones that enjoy crafting/alts would have an easier time of it. You still have the same amount of suppliers, they just dont have to switch characters to do so.

So you would prefer Blizzard to implement something that is technically already in the game as opposed to spending resources on new character models, better weapons for transmog, and improving other game features that benefit a larger percentage of the playerbase then say the top 5% of the gold making playerbase?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
So you would prefer Blizzard to implement something that is technically already in the game as opposed to spending resources on new character models, better weapons for transmog, and improving other game features that benefit a larger percentage of the playerbase then say the top 5% of the gold making playerbase?

this is the same EXACT argument that people used to argue against dual spec's before and after they were implimented (in the days of talent trees). You could already go back to a trainer and change specs, but you had to re-glyph, potentially re-gem, and re-bind your hotkeys (in addition to paying gold). The dual spec feature removed the clutter from what was already available (and what some guilds considered required for progression) and made it simpler to use. This is the same type of change I am going for here, although I admit the details could use quite a bit of refinement.
Edited by Critaholic on 12/4/2012 9:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I still think it is different, dual spec at least affected a larger portion of the playerbase, though you do make a point, depending on the feature refinements.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Blizz has already implemented countless enhancements/changes to make life easier (e.g. mount at entrance to DMF) - why not one more? :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
I do have to clarify that in my idea, the profession specific bonuses (ie, blacksmiths extra sockets, alchemist's flask bonus, and even tailor's increased cloth drops etc) would NOT stack. The character itself still only knows 2 professions, but in this limited, phased area, they have access to recipes from characters on the same account and server.

If market inflation is a big factor (i still contest that it would be), another limitation could be this. In order for all this to work, you have to hire an NPC to run your workshop. This NPC has a limited number of recipes that he can remember. In this instance, i'll say 10. You can craft any 10 recipes from your alts on that server while in your workshop. Once selected, these recipes stay locked. The only way to unlock it is to fire your NPC and hire another one, who starts out with less (say, 3 recipe slots), and unlocks one more recipe slot every 2 days (so you'd be back up to 10 in 2 weeks).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
It's not about alt hopping. Cuts about having to spend $100 or more to transfer gathering toons, you enchanter, alchemist, (or level a new toon) etc just to feel comfortable raiding. If I've leveled all the profs at least 3x. There's no reason to force me to pay to have access to them.

They aren't forcing you do to anything. This is an over used phrase these days. It's your choice when you change servers, and when you do so you know everything that comes with that. This includes needing to either move your other toons or roll new ones to get all your profs back. This is all about your choices.

12/04/2012 04:31 AMPosted by Critaholic
This is an antiquaited concept. There's no reason to limit professions. Some people like leveling professions and crafting, some don't. There's no reason to limit players options.

Oh yes there is. If everyone can pick up every crafting prof then you will never see anyone looking for anything ever again. "I need an enchant....I'll do it myself since I have every prof!" "I need a cut...I'll do it myself since I have every prof!" and on and on. The market would be nothing more than rare drops and crafting mats. If people want to level professions, they have the option of leveling alts. Blizz has made this pretty damn easy too, BoAs, guild perks, cata version of Azeroth.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I will also clarify my stance that I have been in favor of accessing profession alts for a while. So often I hear someone spamming for a LW or BS or some other profession I have access to, but I don't feel like switching characters and trying to get there attention.

My biggest concerns with the "crafting area", are that you use the rep on your main to buy patterns, which you addressed by the character only have 2 professions still (thus they can't learn reciepes for other professions).

But they could also use SoH or other BoP crafting mats to make the items. This is where the market inflation potentially comes in. You play the character you enjoy the most or has the best advantage in certain situations, just like single character professions. But then you can use that character to craft the most valuable items from 10 professions rather then just 2...if that makes sense.
Edited by Jozie on 12/4/2012 10:28 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]