Racial ability interpretations

90 Human Paladin
So, I was looking over the racials abilities that each race has, and I was wondering, what is the lore behind them. I can understand a few, such as Dwarves tapping into their Earthen heritage for Stoneform, Orcs flying into a blood rage due to the demon blood, or Nelves being able to Shadowmeld due to their affinity with the night and low light atmospheres (avoiding saying "darkness"). But others are puzzling, such as Better living through chemistry, Every man for himself, or touch of the grave. Anyone want to come by and give their interpretation of their race's abilities?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Better living through chemistry implies most Goblins are familiar or good at Alchemy. That's a huge generalization, but Goblins are reknowned alchemists.

Every man for himself was some half-assed racial they came up with to replace Perception, which of itself wasn't lore friendly. If it was called Lion's Courage, then sure it'd be badass. But Every Man For Himself doesn't really make sense.

Touch of the grave is because Forsaken are creepy and being touched by them reminds you of your own mortality, and how creeped out you are by them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Every man for himself has always been very confusing. Humans in the Warcraft mythos have never been particularly noted for cowardice or disloyalty, often being the primary frontline fighters on the field, as well as the binding force of the Alliance. While they can't all be the fearless paragons of valour, I don't particularly see cowardice as a human trait.

Also, it's not very inspiring.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
12/04/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Mordstreich
Better living through chemistry implies most Goblins are familiar or good at Alchemy. That's a huge generalization, but Goblins are reknowned alchemists.

I think it's more that every goblins been exposed to so many chemicals in life, that their kids are more susceptible to the beneficial effects.

Knowing alchemy wouldn't make you more susceptible to the potion after all or all alchemists would have it.
Reply Quote
76 Troll Shaman
I think it's more that every goblins been exposed to so many chemicals in life, that their kids are more susceptible to the beneficial effects.

Knowing alchemy wouldn't make you more susceptible to the potion after all or all alchemists would have it.

Its the quite opposite in fact. Gnomes do most of their innovations and work through Engineering and building machines, so they are good at Engineering.

Goblins prefer potions and similar stuff rather than building huge !@# machines(Hobogoblins are an example), so they get bonus to Alchemy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Touch of the Grave and Every Man for Himself were basically added to give Humans and Undead less useless racials. EMFH replaced Perception, which never made much sense (and was only ever really good when you played a stealth class yourself) and Undead's racials outside of WotF were horrible. TotG exists to give UD something useful in PvE, since WotF is pretty useless in raids and dungeons nowadays.
Voodoo Shuffle is kind of strange too. What is a 'Voodoo Shuffle'? and how does it get me out of snares faster? /boggle
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/04/2012 09:12 AMPosted by Saitharis
Voodoo Shuffle is kind of strange too. What is a 'Voodoo Shuffle'? and how does it get me out of snares faster? /boggle

"Trolls be flippin' out, mon!"

It's implied the Voodoo Shuffle is a dance, and Trolls are good at dancing. They do dance a lot.
Edited by Mordstreich on 12/4/2012 9:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/04/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Mordstreich
which of itself wasn't lore friendly.

Considering where Stormwind humans live, I thought it was a fairly appropriate racial. Most of them Elwynn, Redridge, Westfall, and Duskwood. Even before Duskwood became shrouded in darkness, it was still a heavily wooded area that bordered on Stranglethorn. Southeastern Westfall and most of eastern Redridge are still covered in trees, perfect places to hide and wait to ambush. The whole area was considered frontier by the kingdoms in the north. The idea that they could see things hidden in the dark and brush better because they were in that kind of enviroment seems pretty plausible since they were doing it for a few hundred years at least.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
ts the quite opposite in fact. Gnomes do most of their innovations and work through Engineering and building machines, so they are good at Engineering.

Goblins prefer potions and similar stuff rather than building huge !@# machines(Hobogoblins are an example), so they get bonus to Alchemy.

Huh...? I didn't say anything about engineering...?

I'm not denying that Goblins are great alchemists...?

I'm just saying, knowing more alchemy wouldn't suddenly make a potion more effective on you, it'd have to have some biological root.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
12/04/2012 09:12 AMPosted by Saitharis

Trolls are known for being one of the most agile races there is, being able to do back flips and side flips from a standstill.

Us evading capture and entanglement can sometimes look like dancing. Hence, "Da Voodoo Shuffle."

And we like to dance anyway.

Berserking is a case of Trolls being driven to the edge. The way it used to work was that it would increase attack speed based on how much health you had (This was changed for gameplay reasons, since no one wanted to be at low health). In short, a cornered Troll is the most dangerous Troll.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Draenei is pretty self explantory, I just wish I could walk around with that floating rune above my forehead all the time though. It's how they depict Draenei all the time in pictures and media, I want to have it damnit.
Edited by Squidfist on 12/4/2012 12:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Priest
Well, I always figured Every man for himself was there to represent the survivalist and ambitious aspect of humans. It would basically be the fight or flight instincts that seem to be more apparent in humans than other races.

Basically just an incredible will to live.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
If you look at the goblin lore you'll see that they were enslaved by trolls and forced to mine kaja (at least I think it was kaja).

Over time mining the mineral kaja (yeah, I'm just going with it) slowly started to "change" goblins, making them highly intelligent. This led to them eventually overthrowing the trolls and even enslaving THEM!

So, minerals changed their DNA, thus, they get an alchemy bonus... Makes sense, sorta.
Reply Quote
60 Draenei Death Knight
12/04/2012 07:16 AMPosted by Arieus
low light atmospheres (avoiding saying "darkness")

Why?

Better living through chemistry

Goblins are familiar with drugs. No surprise there.

Every man for himself

Survival instincts. As humans, our natural reaction in a life or death situation is to save our young, or if they aren't there....ourselves. It takes societal conditioning to overcome that.

touch of the grave

Blizzard likes to give Forsaken a bit of a vampiric edge. In this case, it's easily justified: Undead are magically animated, and they're using their innate magic to drain the life of their victims.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
EMFH was just something they added to give an Alliance race a racial that didn't suck for PvP. I wouldn't give it too much thought lore-wise.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/18/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Theodisca
EMFH was just something they added to give an Alliance race a racial that didn't suck for PvP. I wouldn't give it too much thought lore-wise.

Humans have lots of practice at running away from danger.

Seems perfectly fine to me. "Fight or Flight" and all that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]