Request for Explanations - 5.1

90 Troll Shaman
Hello,

I know the developers are very busy with their time on WoW and are limited to what they can and cannot do. This post is an effort to receive some explanation over design changes. While I know designers don't feel necessary to justify their decisions to the playerbase, however, after so many years, I feel something has to give. Shaman receive very little feedback each patch, and when big changes are made, there is often very little discussion on it from Blues.

A bit about myself. I have played shaman on two different accounts since the start of this game. I have played all three specs, but my heart lies with Enhancement and Windfury. Shaman is my only current capped character, and where my passion is in this game.

There have been several times in WoW history where things have occurred to the community with no real design intent explained. Here are some examples.

Enhancement went through three Expansions where it was unsure if it was a melee or a caster. By this I mean, during BC, WotLK, and Cataclysm, there had always been issues with stacking double flametongue and using a spellcaster weapon for maximizing dps. The issue was almost never addressed on the forums, would only see a minor fix several months after being brought up on the forums, until finally being settled once and for all mid-expansion of Cataclysm.

Shaman necessity of crowd control. During Burning Crusader, everyone can attest to the pain in the butt that was Magister's Terrace if you did not have CC. Shaman were the only class at the time begging for a type of CC. There was never any acknowledgement from the devs, and finally we received Hex in WotLK, when CC was no longer important and dungeons became AoE pinatas.

Windfury internal cooldown. This was a change that came sometime around 1.9-1.12 in vanilla wow. Windfury was reworked to be "fixed" yet a hidden internal cooldown of three seconds had been added. This cooldown was never mentioned by the devs and was thought to be a myth by some in the community. Finally, a player posted hard data trying to prove Windfury had a hidden cooldown, and Blizzard finally decided to communicate with the shaman forum about the change.

In fact, during Cataclysm thins became so bleak for shaman with the lack of communication between the developers and the community, that the entire shaman community rallied together and took over one of the developer Q&A sessions, much to the annoyance of many other classes.

These types of things wouldn't happen if the Blues took a more active role like they do with some of the other classes. I have seen countless times, explanations for changes made for ret paladins, or tanking classes. They are told the design intent behind the changes, which in turn helps players better understand the developer viewpoint.

We yet again face the same situation with this latest patch 5.1 Totems being moved back to spells and susceptible to silence and lockouts.

I am simply requesting we get the logic behind why this nerf was made for ALL three classes. If blizzard feels that Elemental and Enhancement deserve to be nerfed, then please justify your actions with reasons.

As I mentioned before, I understand developers are very busy, and often don't feel the need to justify their actions. However, I am willing to believe the shaman community would be a much friendlier place if developers would simply take the small amount of time it wold take to explain decisions, and provide several less "the world is ending posts" that can often be seen there.

Thank you.
Edited by Ursinine on 11/28/2012 3:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
In fact, during Cataclysm thins became so bleak for shaman with the lack of communication between the developers and the community, that the entire shaman community rallied together and took over one of the developer Q&A sessions, much to the annoyance of many other classes.

and during that time only a very few (mostly unimportant) questions was actually answered, and as you mentioned almost all of the conversations ended up as a class battle over who deserves more attention by blizzard.
That wasn't helped by the fact that blizzard poorly communicates with its customers about problems other than that actually prevent players from playing, tech issues.

I'm really looking forward to seeing blizzards quarterly numbers, and the end of this pvp seasons statistics.

good post op, but I don't think blizzard understands what so many players are saying, it confuses me that there are people posting on every class saying their class was nerfed into uselessness after the patch.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]