So I found out who hacked my wow account

90 Night Elf Druid
Well, if you still know all the info from when you created the account, and the person that illegally bought the account hasn't changed anything( since, you can't change names on an account except through marriage or parent transferring it to a minor), give billing a call and wreck havoc on his account by getting it locked or, if you can supply enough info, getting it perma banned.

A plus would be having the License # available and secret word.

See how your friend likes paying back $200 bucks that he doesn't have.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I don't understand why you didn't just punch your friend in the face as hard as you could a couple times.

Don't listen to hippies; violence actually does solve the occasional problem.

The "sit in a chair in a corner for time out" generation grossly underestimates the effectiveness of a good butt whoopin.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
He would have eaten through a straw shortly after me finding out what happened ...
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
It doesn't excuse this act of douchebaggery committed by him. Slap him with a two-piece and a biscuit.

This.

I had a friend who ended up hacking my account. Though how he knew my password I have no idea. Never will forgive that guy for putting me through months of torture trying to get my account back.
Edited by Adhaa on 11/30/2012 2:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Yea I'm not a vindictive guy, but that's something else. That's like going to a biker guy's house and stealing his custom Harley, then selling it for booze money.

In most countries, that's grounds for almost anything.
Reply Quote
95 Undead Rogue
Seems to me enough time has gone by that the Statute of Limitations has expired.

Some Statues last as long as 10 years.
Most go for 7.
Some as little as 3.

You might be in that last boat. A little legal research might be necessary to see. But considering how little you might get out of it, I doubt if it would be financially worth it.

I am sorry for your loss (then and now).
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Warrior
He sold you out? For only $200? What he couldn't get a job as a paper boy and decided to low ball your account for easy cash?

My question is - why did he tell you this? Did he think it was funny or does he feel guilty over it? If he feels guilty then get him to help you. If he still had the information on the buyer it might help your cause. Blizz keeps all characters over 60 but there's not guarantee as to the armor or personal items. Usually after a few months they can't go back and look at what you had on in gear, what you had in your bags, the amount of gold or your bank. Even if you're fast they still can't always get it all back. But if you want your toon back or just want to lock the other account then I'd call them and tell them what you learned.

I have met people in game who have openly said they bought their account. I refuse to associate with them, along with anyone who I know is buying gold. If I end up in a group with you and you tell me this I will kick you so fast and have you on ignore you won't know what happened.

I don't advocate violence - but perhaps there are more round about and legal ways of getting revenge, especially if he is a minor...
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Tell your parents what you did take them out to dinner and get them to send a copy of their ID to Blizz so you can get your account back.

I'm curious what you will find after logging in.
This would be a good idea... It's like you invested your account when your friend sold it, you could have like 8 85's that you didn't need to do anything for. Then take a picture of it, send it to your old best friend, and say "got my account back :)". MAXIMUM TROLLING and epic lolz.
Reply Quote
81 Human Warrior
11/30/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Honeybadger
but I decided no its just a game

It may be just a game, and this did happen awhile ago, but it shows a blatant disregard for respect towards you.

Did he even let you play his xbox?
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Hunter
So can blizzard or the police do anything is there some kind of statute of limitation?

You can't file theft charges against your friend if that's what you're asking, nor can you use the law to get the account back, since according to the ToS, the account never belonged to you in the first place.

All accounts are the property of Blizzard. We basically just rent them.

Very little you can do except report the account as hacked and hope for the best. Most likely the logs showing IP changes around the time the account was sold are long gone.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well, if you still know all the info from when you created the account, and the person that illegally bought the account hasn't changed anything( since, you can't change names on an account except through marriage or parent transferring it to a minor), give billing a call and wreck havoc on his account by getting it locked or, if you can supply enough info, getting it perma banned.

A plus would be having the License # available and secret word.

See how your friend likes paying back $200 bucks that he doesn't have.

This may not work ...Blizz was hacked a while back and forced a lot of players to change their Secret question and answser. It was the only time they have done this or allowed it to be done.

So if the guy who purchased the account was one of those.. the Secret question and Answer likely was changed

OP sorry about the loss, I would talk to blizz because the name on the account has not changed....

I knew a guy who broke up with his BF ( yes he was gay) he went on a trip and when he came back he found out his so called BF sold his account on Ebay.. yes he got it back but not after every toon had been transfered to a new server, race changed and faction changed..

Blizz would not help because he admitted to sharring the account information and they were not too happy .. but he did get his account back.

Talk to Blizz... maybe they will help if it has not been too long.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
11/30/2012 03:42 PMPosted by Ssinfull
Talk to Blizz... maybe they will help if it has not been too long.

Back in BC couple months before WOTLK

This would be a few years ago now. Logs would have surely been purged well and truly by now. Still wouldn't hurt to ask though, but without logs - not much could really happen. You might be able to get the account back if you are able to prove you are the legitimate account holder - but getting gear/gold back might not happen if the logs are gone.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
My best friend excuse me former best friend told me he sold my account to some guy at my school for like 200$, he said he needed the money for an xbox.

I'm sorry that happened, Honeybadger. This is one of the major reasons why we do not allow account sharing. It can not only severely impact the security of an account but others who have access to the account may not always have your best interest at heart.

So can blizzard or the police do anything is there some kind of statute of limitation?

Technically speaking, the registered user on the account is responsible for all activity that takes place, authorized by you or not. While we try to help in cases of account compromise, what can be done is often limited by circumstance.

If you used your parents name when creating the account, they could contact us to see about recovering access and perhaps transferring it into your name. I'd recommend contacting our Billing and Account Services department to see what your options may be.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Is the character/account still active?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Ok, what?

This happened in 2008? Why are you just now posting about this?
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
I'm sorry but I find this story incredibly hard to believe. What's much more likely is that you sold this account yourself and are wondering how you can steal it back from the person who bought it from you years ago. At this point the new owner has probably invested more money into the account than you ever did, so in my opinion you no longer have any right to it. Hopefully Blizz will see right through your BS.
Reply Quote
91 Dwarf Monk
he said he needed the money for an xbox. So I was going to beat him but I decided no its just a game.

Thats where you would have saw me on the headline of the news
"kid kills class mate over theft"
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
lol @ police
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
Ok, what?

This happened in 2008? Why are you just now posting about this?

More to the point, why the elaborate story?
We see a fair bit of this.. it's always someone elses fault.. little brother, friend, spouse etc.

More often than not, it's the original account holder who sold their account, then decide they want it back.
...because as you said, there would be no reason to wait 4 years to report a compromise.
(unless you were perfectly OK with it at the tiime)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Back in BC couple months before WOTLK, I worked so hard and finally got my 70 night elf hunter decked out in tier gear and had pvp gear too. He was boss status ,had 6k gold. All my friends were envious I remember just killing all the bosses in black temple and all. So one day before I knew about the authenticator I noticed my account was not logging in no worries ill just call blizzard, thing is back then I registered my account under my parents name without them knowing lol. So long story short I basically lost my account. I was hacked and the hacker succeded. I thought it was a virus keylogger. I was sad so sad all that work gone. So present day. My best friend excuse me former best friend told me he sold my account to some guy at my school for like 200$, he said he needed the money for an xbox. So I was going to beat him but I decided no its just a game. So can blizzard or the police do anything is there some kind of statute of limitation?

P.S. It was kinda my fault never log in your account in front of friends NEVER!

Listen to the bluepost. If you can get this account back I'd do so. All the work the guy who your friend sold it to did would be yours, then. Maybe your character is still on there, too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]