So I found out who hacked my wow account

90 Pandaren Monk
FYI, speaking as a purely legal question, you most likely wouldn't be barred from the statute of limitations.

Most jurisdictions won't begin accruing the statute of limitations on the date that property was stolen -- that wouldn't make any sense, because in most cases, the true owner wouldn't know who to file suit against.

Instead, jurisdictions are split as to what they do. Some jurisdictions only begin accruing time for purpose of the statute of limitations on the date that you actually found out who stole the property. Other jurisdictions will begin accruing the statute on the date that you should have, by a reasonable and diligent effort, known who committed the misappropriation.

Assuming you're not barred by the statute of limitations, I know some people have expressed sentiments to the effect that the property doesn't belong to you; it belongs to Blizzard, so you don't have standing. While that is true, you do have constructive ownership of the property, and even more significantly, you have property rights as to the access of the property.

In selling your account password and information, your friend deprived you of access to something that you rightfully had. There's a misappropriation claim in there. I don't see the fact that it was in your parents' name and not yours as a huge hurdle.
Edited by Panda on 12/1/2012 5:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Death Knight
You should never lose your peace of mind.

Your friend ****** you over.

In your place, I would get even closer to him/her/it and wait for the oppurtune time to just "open my mouth" to cost them something dear. Like find out deepest / darkest secrets then simply mention them to his wife slash girlfriend, ok who am I kidding, mother, sister, friend. Make them PAY.

And nothing in the above is against teh law either.

Slap them, they'll forget in an hour.

Punish them. They will never forget.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
This thread is actually a good example of one reason why it's a bad idea to buy an account from someone. The OP can, quite likely, get the account back by contacting Blizzard and providing some documentation.

Here's an anecdote from my own experiences: I knew someone in-game a while back who, prior to me meeting them had bought their account from someone. I didn't know it at the time, but it was the account they were playing on. Then, after they had played on the account for over a year, the original owner contacted Blizzard and reclaimed it.

Everything they had done for that entire year - gone. They had no recourse, either.

This can happen to anyone who plays on an account that is not in their name.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Hey OP, I have an idea.

Charge your friend $200 plus compounding interest. (Call it $350 at this point.)

(I only charge a $50 fee for good ideas, so you come out $100 ahead!)
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
You should never lose your peace of mind.

Your friend ****** you over.

In your place, I would get even closer to him/her/it and wait for the oppurtune time to just "open my mouth" to cost them something dear. Like find out deepest / darkest secrets then simply mention them to his wife slash girlfriend, ok who am I kidding, mother, sister, friend. Make them PAY.

And nothing in the above is against teh law either.

Slap them, they'll forget in an hour.

Punish them. They will never forget.

Idk why, but I read this in Hannibal Lector's voice...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]