The end of City of Heroes

100 Goblin Hunter
Gonna step OOC for this one, so stick with me.

At 12am PST this morning, the server switch for City of Heroes was shut off, and an era came to an end. Now I haven't logged onto CoH for years, but even now I know that Radd Hazard is stuck in digital limbo, never to save the citizens of Paragon City from the dregs of society ever again.

This got me thinking about WoW...I always said I'd be around until they shut the servers down - and I will be, God willing - but you know, the amount of time we spend in this game for as long as we have can make it seem just as much a part of our lives as the waking world, and the thought of losing those social ties really made me reflect on the eight years I've spent in this game. I mean, an MMO shutting down puts the player in the unusual situation of attending his own funeral; you play the role of the deceased and the survivor, and it's a sort of double-whammy when you know both what you've lost and what can never be revisited again.

I guess the long and short of it is that when and if that time comes here in Azeroth, know that I'd miss each and every one of you. To me you're just as real as the people next door, only here you can do amazing things and be what you truly aspire to be, even if just for a little awhile each day.

Okay, enough of that. Now go and be amazing.
Edited by Kopperschott on 12/1/2012 7:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
dna double helix was pictured with an electron microscope 3 days ago
Edited by Chequen on 12/1/2012 7:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
My first time Rping in an online game was CoH so it has a very special place in my heart. I used to waver between CoH and WoW when they launched but I stuck with CoH the first couple of years but left it after all the nerfing and changes. Since then, I went back every now and then but I was more committed to WoW by then.

It was sad to see it die. I was there at the end, dealing with the mapserves on Virtue hanging around the Echo of Galaxy City with the old timer roleplayers on the server.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
Oh man, I was ON Virtue! Hell, we may have passed each other and not even known. :p
Reply Quote
I am thankful that I've never had an MMO of mine shut down, but I know that if Anarchy Online were to go down I would certainly feel a twinge in my heart.

All the late hours I spent running back to Biomare, and the times I spent trying to reach the grid network before a group of Clan guards caught up to me and annihilated me, the Gridstream parties at the Reet Retreat...

Good times. I still can't wait for the graphic update.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
12/01/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Kopperschott
Oh man, I was ON Virtue! Hell, we may have passed each other and not even known. :p

I think if you were a roleplayer on CoH, you had at least one character on Virtue. It was almost like a requirement for admission.

My characters that I played extensively.

Silverblade - kat/regen scrapper. My oldest and fondest character and pretty much invincible until the great regen nerf (I should say multiple nerfs).
HAWC - energy/energy blaster. I used him as a blapper and even though the knock backs were a pain, the powerset was visually amazing.
Raveness - ill/rad controller. I used to team up with a ill/kin controller and we'd duo giant monsters with our perma PA. Good times.
Reply Quote
Suddenly sad thoughts.

*Deflates* :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Yeah, it was my first MMO (Virtue here also). I logged in to take screenshots of my main toons yesterday before the servers went down for good. RIP, CoH. :(

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_meblg7cJXm1r9l5ub.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_meblizF5Ge1r9l5ub.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_meblkiWfNB1r9l5ub.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_meblncYdqi1r9l5ub.jpg

(For some reason my hide UI function didn't want to carry over into screenshots.)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/01/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Kopperschott

Hi.

Moving this Rogue to WrA right now (currently pending).

I once played on Virtue myself, having a Scranker (Lace Orchid) and a Nin/MA Stalker (can't recall name) both at 50.

It was fun while it lasted!
Edited by Alaia on 12/1/2012 7:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
Johnny flare, Fire blaster.
Dr mezmero mental controller
gonna miss that game..was fun while it lasted...maybe emulated servers will spring up?
Reply Quote
This is why I've never striven for max gold or busted my butt looking for near impossible pets or mounts - One day the last server will cease to be and all we'll have left will be the memories and friendships we've made. Which of course is the most important aspects of... well, life.

The last Figureprint is going to be a nice memento, as well.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
12/01/2012 08:21 PMPosted by Morashtak

It's one of the reasons why I plan to get one eventually. Eventually I'll tire of WoW (I doubt it will close for a very very long time) and I'd want something to remind me of the years I put into the game. Course, I'm waiting for the character model overall before I buy one.
Reply Quote
"You either die the hero, or live long enough to become the villain."
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I was in the first wave of players to buy, and subscribe to Everquest when it came out in 1999. I played that game off and on until 2004. I did some fun stuff, some epic stuff, and had some friends in it too.

The Everquest servers are still up! Sure not nearly as many as in its heyday but if you want to play EQ you still can.

I think when it comes to WoW its going to be live for a long time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/01/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Thokk
"You either die the hero, or live long enough to become the villain."

Pretty much the story of Skyrim.

One does not simply play an Elder Scrolls game and not slaughter towns for amusement after doing all of the heroic things.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Hear hear! Words of wisdom.

/raises mug of ale

This is why I've never striven for max gold or busted my butt looking for near impossible pets or mounts - One day the last server will cease to be and all we'll have left will be the memories and friendships we've made. Which of course is the most important aspects of... well, life.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Mr. Minion, who wound up going through a bunch of different classes and specs, but was mainly a Dark/Dark Brute. Also on Virtue. I'm getting married in a few months thanks to that game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I've heard good things about that game, I'm slightly disappointed i never decided to play it.
Edited by Sevon on 12/2/2012 12:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
Oh...I capped out on alts on Virtue....

Blue side I had...(that I can remember)
Argent Dove
Forlorn Joy
Forlorn Hope

And for Red...
Whirling Jian is the only one I remember
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
CoH was the first MMO I played. I always loved a Magic start for the story possibilities - and hated trying to find Circle of Thorns members on the rooftops of King's Row. Bastards.

Never got too high a level, but I always enjoyed what I could. And would've enjoyed it more having folk I knew playing it with me.

Goodnight, sweet prince.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]