Fool's Cap terrible after spawn nerf

90 Orc Hunter
Is it just me or is farming high amounts of fool's cap a serious chore now. I use to farm in the briny muck, checking lakes from time to time. I would farm for couple hours and end up with around 1000+ more fool's cap, depending on how many people were farming as well.

Since the nerf to the spawn rate of herbs, Fool's cap has become a pain in the butt to farm. I flew all over the place, only to see maybe 1 or 2 Fool's cap nodes, where as it use to be 4-5. Not only is there hardly any of it, but when you get mass amounts of people farming it, then it's pretty much game over.

Even during off hours for my server, I would run into more Ghost Iron Ore nodes then Fool's cap nodes. Does anyone else think blizzard should at least adjust the spawn rate for Fool's cap at least. I'm not saying adjust it for all herbs, but at least take a look at fool's cap or make it spawn in other areas as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I agree! It's a terrible spot now. I used to go there all the time to get my fools cap and now I can barely even fill my bag after an hour :/
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Has anyone seen a blue post on this at all? I find it odd that they are not saying anything at all. I have to wonder if this is to kill bots out there and they do not want to say anything? It has slowed down my card making for sure.
I see the same topic locked after the max amount of posts but no blue response.....
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
It was already a PITA now it's just a waste of time! They nerfed the spawn rate at every single location - As if getting the mats for the Mists Cards wasn't already hard enough then they nerf the spawn rate on Fool's cap - Do you guys actually play the game? What is the point of making things simply ridiculous? - I don't get it. Another example - The stupid - idiotic, Brawlers guild ticket arrangement - Who thought of that? LOL it's a joke! Whenever you guys make obtaining things all about Gold, it only makes the gold dealer scum richer, and rewards the players that buy it...it's a shame, anyhoo,

I realize ranting here is even more of a waste of my time, it just feels good
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you're farming herbs to obtain a Darkmoon Deck - you are doing it wrong.

Do you consider your time valuable?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Saying it was nerfed 50% is a joke. They must've forgot to add a 0 at the end, because it easily feels 5x harder to gather fools cap now
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Considering the melee plate wearers are getting screwed by this makes me pretty annoyed. I ended up having to spend 600g for 2 stacks of potions that normally costed 225 for 40.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
If you're farming herbs to obtain a Darkmoon Deck - you are doing it wrong.

Do you consider your time valuable?

Octaevian, Do you know the materials needed to make a darkmoon card or do you think they fall off of trees and just end up in the AH? Are you a scribe? Working the AH is fine - and I do - but to be able to make the cards to supplement the cost and turn a profit I want to be able to farm herbs at a reasonable rate - Waste of time? By your logic, THE WHOLE GAME IS A WASTE OF TIME! If I wanted to only play the AH all day I could just buy them all. For that matter by your philosophy I could just skip professions all together and buy everything off the AH - But if i don't have any profit making professions how do I make the 16-20k necessary to purchase the deck? Are you suggesting I could do dailies all day long, or buy gold online? I'm not sure what your point is, but the nerf to spawn rates won't just affect me, the scribe, it will affect everyone in game as herbs are also used to make pots and flasks etc. Trust me - the nerf is overkill - watch the AH in the next few weeks - watch the price of anything to do with herbs skyrocket - I know my alchemist won't be "wasting any time" making pots for the ah or anyone but my own 4 toons because that would be a WASTE of time!

*The sheer irony of your statement just hit me - Attention all scribes, don't waste time getting herbs to MAKE darkmoon cards - Attention all Herbalists - Don't waste time gathering herbs, attention all players, buy everything off the AH - lmao - think about it
Edited by Neró on 12/5/2012 7:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
ive made close to 150 decks this expansion and made well over a million gold doing so(after putting all of my efforts to getting my entire guild decks the first fair free of charge) and have not farmed a single herb.

as for foolscap farming i suspect what people are experiencing is similar to what has happened with fishing in the past. All the herbs share the same spawn rate so everytime the game decides its time for an herb to spawn in a zone it might be a tea leaf it might be a fools cap, well tea leaf has a higher rate so if you only farm foolscap then the zone will be piled with tea leaf. Im almost positive this is whats happening because almost everyone that posts saying they got like 1 stack or only 4 herbs in 2 hours mention that they didnt see anyone else.
Edited by Zachfu on 12/5/2012 7:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
So tell me - you have a way to obtain the cards for free?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
i buy the herbs, i mill them, i make cards, i make decks, i sell them.

imo theres only 3 reasons to farm herbs/ore. 1. there is non available and you need it immediately 2. you enjoy gathering 3. you literally have no gold to buy them.
Edited by Zachfu on 12/5/2012 7:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
ive made close to 150 decks this expansion and made well over a million gold doing so(after putting all of my efforts to getting my entire guild decks the first fair free of charge) and have not farmed a single herb.

as for foolscap farming i suspect what people are experiencing is similar to what has happened with fishing in the past. All the herbs share the same spawn rate so everytime the game decides its time for an herb to spawn in a zone it might be a tea leaf it might be a fools cap, well tea leaf has a higher rate so if you only farm foolscap then the zone will be piled with tea leaf. Im almost positive this is whats happening because almost everyone that posts saying they got like 1 stack or only 4 herbs in 2 hours mention that they didnt see anyone else.

Well they nerfed all the herbs - not just fool's cap - I'll even admit the spawn rate before was great - maybe too great - but the nerf is ridiculous
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
way to plentiful before imo.

I don't ever gather so i don't really have any knowledge of whats happening on the ground but my first impressions of the market suggest that its been at least slightly overnerfed but its hard to say exactly because it happened at the same time as the darkmoon fair which skyrockets prices anyway + a some panic of the nerf so people buying extra while they can.

12/05/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Neró
Well they nerfed all the herbs - not just fool's cap

right but if you only farm areas where theres fools cap and no one else is farming the rest of the zone then all the spawns will be pushed to other herbs.
Edited by Zachfu on 12/5/2012 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
i buy the herbs, i mill them, i make cards, i make decks, i sell them.

imo theres only 3 reasons to farm herbs/ore. 1. there is non available and you need it immediately 2. you enjoy gathering 3. you literally have no gold to buy them.

you forgot one - to supply your other 3 90's with mats for their professions as in my case - regardless,

So who should farm the herbs then for you to buy off the AH? And if the spawn rate sucks for herbs - how much do you think a stack will cost? - Again the irony is funny! You buy all your mats off the AH - the mats are there because someone like me farmed them Probably some chinese gold farming company (see below) - This thread is about the spawn rate of the herbs and it's digressed to talking about how the game simply revolves around gold - if you have the gold you can just buy anything you need on the ah and let the other shmucks do all the farming, which is exactly my point in my first post on this topic - What better incentive to give people that cheat and buy/sell gold online than to make it all about the gold. So in a nut shell, assuming no one farms legit - The gold farmers get all their money from players that buy all their mats in the AH with money they buy from the gold dealers. LOL
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
My final remark - The spawn rate is terrible for all herbs - it has nothing to do with Fool's Cap only - i have a huge circuit I farm from Kun lai to dread wastes - the spawn rate for all the herbs is horrific - that being said - i won't be farming herbs until it gets better, and i won't be buying herbs on the ah because they're going to be too expensive and i feel like it's a waste of gold - so I just will quit making the cards and find something better to do like leveling my two pandas - Back to Octaevian's point - it is simply a waste of time to farm herbs right now, and that has wider reaching consequences than me making my own cards.
Reply Quote
Nero...the herbs you farm have a value associated with them for what they could sell for on the AH. So whether you buy herbs off of the AH at 100g a stack or farm them yourself, they are still worth 100g a stack.

If you did farm them yourself, then herbalism is making you 100g a stack. If you can farm 30x stacks of green leaf an hour, herbalism is making you 3k gold an hour. On the other hand, if you can only farm 5x stacks of fools cap an hour, you would need to be able to sell it for 600g a stack in order to make the same amount of gold with the profession.

If fools cap is only worth 200g a stack, you are better off farming green tea leaf, selling it, and then buying the fools cap from the dozen other herbalists and/or bots on your server that are farming fools cap. But if you could make more then 3k gold an hour just milling herbs and making DMC...like Zachfu does...then you are better off using your limited game time to buy items you need off of the AH by maximizing your gold per hour.

Of course, these numbers are representative, actual gold per hour numbers vary by server, time of day, competition, and doing things that make the game fun rather then a second job.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
they come from botters, people who dont know better, and people who enjoy it.

I would love for botters to not exist, but they do. In a world where botters didnt exist gathering would probably be worth similar to what crafting is but as it stands its largely a fools errand.

The cost of materials is largely irreverent since the price of the finished goods reflect the cost of materials. If herbs are 2g each then a potion might be 5-10g. if herbs are 4g each then potions will probably be 10-15g

The game has always revolved around gold, it hasn't digressed into anything nothing has changed. Just like real life revolves around money.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Neró
My final remark - The spawn rate is terrible for all herbs - it has nothing to do with Fool's Cap only - i have a huge circuit I farm from Kun lai to dread wastes - the spawn rate for all the herbs is horrific - that being said - i won't be farming herbs until it gets better, and i won't be buying herbs on the ah because they're going to be too expensive and i feel like it's a waste of gold - so I just will quit making the cards and find something better to do like leveling my two pandas - Back to Octaevian's point - it is simply a waste of time to farm herbs right now, and that has wider reaching consequences than me making my own cards.

It is a waste of time for scribes, alchemists, or any crafting profession to farm their own mats. However, the nerf to the respawn rate makes it worthwhile to gather herbs as a herbalist.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Nero...the herbs you farm have a value associated with them for what they could sell for on the AH. So whether you buy herbs off of the AH at 100g a stack or farm them yourself, they are still worth 100g a stack.

If you did farm them yourself, then herbalism is making you 100g a stack. If you can farm 30x stacks of green leaf an hour, herbalism is making you 3k gold an hour. On the other hand, if you can only farm 5x stacks of fools cap an hour, you would need to be able to sell it for 600g a stack in order to make the same amount of gold with the profession.

If fools cap is only worth 200g a stack, you are better off farming green tea leaf, selling it, and then buying the fools cap from the dozen other herbalists and/or bots on your server that are farming fools cap. But if you could make more then 3k gold an hour just milling herbs and making DMC...like Zachfu does...then you are better off using your limited game time to buy items you need off of the AH by maximizing your gold per hour.

Of course, these numbers are representative, actual gold per hour numbers vary by server, time of day, competition, and doing things that make the game fun rather then a second job.

You make a valid point - I agree with you about 90%

...but just like the real economy, at some point, it's hard to compete with pro company's paying people peanuts to farm day and night, so your premise about the price needs to factor in that some of the bots gold dealers etc. don't really care about the time invested therby undercutting the market - kind of like currency manipulation - if you personally have very little invested then it's easier to sell at lower prices thereby diminishing market value and hurting legitimate players. Just a thought. Also i didn't say the game itself had digressed I said this thread had...the game has always revolved around gold, but even more so recently - i.e. the Brawler's Guild tickets - How about rewarding toons with a ticket based on hours played - or number of lvl 90 toons or by achievement toons etc. rather than how much gold they have? Anyhoo - i do agree with you and your point is well taken
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I follow what you're saying, but I don't think that increased scarcity helps them manipulate the market. Having less of any resource makes loss leading and dumping less feasible. Reducing the difference in inventory between someone who farms for a few hours here and there on one character and someone who runs a dozen gatherbots around the clock serves to help the player, who has the smaller inventory and thus less leverage on the market relative to a user who could conceivably dump enough of a resource on the market to exceed the demand of the entire realm.
Edited by Kaganfindel on 12/5/2012 9:10 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]