Spec change based on weapons

100 Draenei Death Knight

How on earth do you figure that?

I'll use Elitist Jerk's stats just so we have a common base point; these numbers wont be 100% accurate for every person, but the fluctuation isn't so far off that we can't gauge similar results.

For Masterfrost:

Strength - 1
Hit - .672
Expertise - .672
Mastery - .462
Haste - .443
Crit - .334
Hit (white) - .296

Etched Imperial Amethyst - 80 Strength / 160 Hit

80 Strength = 80
160 Hit = 107.52

Total = 180.52

Accurate Imperial Amethyst - 160 Hit / 160 Expertise

160 Hit = 107.52
160 Expertise = 107.52

Total = 215.05

You might be able to account for a handful of points in fluctuation depending on a person's gear, but nothing close to the almost 35 points in differentiation shown here. There may be rare situations though were simply because of various gear setups that an Etched gem may be favored over an Accurate simply because the gear can meet the Expertise requirements perfectly, or almost perfectly without it and the Strength gain in the socket is larger than the loss would be to either go under or over cap with the extra Expertise points in the socket. However, this gain would be very small, and again rare, so it's safer to assume that an Accurate gem should be used in all Blue sockets.

Except it's more beneficial to gem for Strength and instead reforge for Expertise. You're completely missing out on the primary/secondary stat synergies.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
12/06/2012 11:40 AMPosted by Serrias
Except it's more beneficial to gem for Strength and instead reforge for Expertise. You're completely missing out on the primary/secondary stat synergies.

The stat weights already account for synergy.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
12/06/2012 12:10 AMPosted by Postonforums
I would go back to SS 2h. That scimitar you got is a tanky sword. It's got a lot of str missing on it (much less than your 476 lfr axe). Weapon DPS scales MUCH higher than str. You migh see increases on pure cleave fights as dw, but for single target your 2h setup would come out a clear winner.

the scimitar takes the strength out of it's gem budget

you end up with slightly more stats than an empty sha touched weapon if you gem a purple.

^ This

Basically in an ideal scenario Sha Touched MH and a Scimitar offhand. Same item level. Same strength but more ratings in the Sword so on their face the Sword is better until the unique 500 strength shows up pushing it above the sword. DW'n the sha axe would serve no purpose but to cost you some hit/mastery.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
12/06/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Manarri

The stat weights already account for synergy.

Except no. Strength gems get more DPS point than Expertise or Mastery.

Besides, if it's so much more beneficial to gem for expertise why aren't you doing so?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Except no. Strength gems get more DPS point than Expertise or Mastery.

Besides, if it's so much more beneficial to gem for expertise why aren't you doing so?

Except yes. Sims that calculate stat weights take into account any sorts of buffs that you have or may have during a fight. Things like Pillar of Ice or Rune of the Fallen Crusader are accounted for in these calculations. That is fact.

I never argued that either Expertise or Mastery was worth more than Strength point per point. In fact, I never even mentioned Mastery, so I have no clue why you're bringing that up. Go figure though that in gems we aren't looking at a point per point comparison - it's 160 Expertise vs. 80 Strength, and the Expertise wins out.

As for my gear, I did say that there were circumstances in which gear allowed Etched gems to be more favorable, didn't I? My gear setup currently has an excess of Expertise. I've forged almost all of it away, and I'm still a bit over cap. It'd be silly to gem more of it, wouldn't it?

I wasn't ever trying to imply that an Accurate gem would 100% always be the best gem, but the majority of the time it would be. That's why sites like Elitist Jerks list both Accurate and Etched gems for blue sockets, because it's going to change sometimes. My point was that it's a safer bet to go with the Accurate.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
The gems value is based on your gear. It goes both ways for priority. When your gear has too much hit you do as best you can to get out of it. The same when it's expertise.

Now on paper the stat weights can have Expertise or Hit above strength. But that value is lost when the caps are obtainable via reforging. If it's possible to be hit & expertise capped without sacrificing strength then yes do it. But if you have sacrificing strength instead of hast/crit or mastery then it's a dps loss in most cases. 2 Handed Frost does have the catch of haste being also stronger than strength but if it's dw frost then none of them are even half as good as strength due to the spell heavy focus.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]