Crafting is far far far too random.

90 Troll Druid
It is my opinion, that this is the worst expansion for crafting hands down. There's BoP issues like having so many patterns require Spirits, forcing crafters to either ignore them or go grind out motes. Tailors once again must use a daily CD to make a BoP item, bad idea in cata bad idea now. But this isn't the worst of it to me. No to me the worst of it is just how stupidly random it is to craft. And now scribes are in the same boat

When I craft I expect consistent results. Random procs like those of an alchemist master are fine and fun, they're pure bonus. What isn't fun is having to make 20+ of a single item just to hope and pray for the right random enchant. What isn't fun is having to waste 3 gems a day trying and praying for that one cut you actually one. What isn't fun is having to make while piles of pots while hoping you learn something that's actually useful. What isn't fun and hasn't been fun since Wrath is having to use daily research to learn worthless glyphs while the good ones are still out of reach.

More and more crafting annoys me and what makes this even worse for me is when I look at how much I love everything else about this expansion. The land, the story, the talents, the raids, I can go on and on about how great this expansion is...but the crafting is just so horrible to me! There's a lot that needs to be fixed.

Solutions:
Either make scrolls of Wisdom craft able without a CD or make them BoE. The same goes for Imperial Silk. One or the other is fine, cause then people can drop mats on me and bam I make what they want. As it stands they have to hand over the mats and wait for days until I get everything they need.

Spirits need to be BoE, they're used far too much in crafting to not be trade able.

Give JCs back their dailies! I would be going through clean up right now with them, going through and picking up the cuts nobody wants. But instead I'm still hoping for a few good cuts that people ask me for.

Stop the random crafting, just stop it. Trying to make gear for a mage? Here, have fun waiting for something without spirit! Good luck if you want certain stats on it! Just give us a huge list of craftables that have set stats.

And please give alchemists proper training, I hated leveling my alchemist, having no clue what was coming was painful.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I agree about the random stats on gear. They tried it with the Blacksmith in Diablo III and it frustrated me to no end. Who thought that was a great crafting model, I'll never know.

The random perfect gems or blue armors are great tho.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
the random stat gear is leveling fodder, nothing more. All your other issues are gating mechanics if the CDs were removed or some of the BoP things made tradable the market would be flooded and crash.

i would say professions are in a better place than they have ever been in this game. Seems to me the only people having serious issues are the ones trying to do everything themselves.
Edited by Zachfu on 12/3/2012 1:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
12/03/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Urakdisiprin
The random perfect gems or blue armors are great tho.

I agree, those kinds of procs are fun, to me those are pure bonus. You make one thing and get more or better, just like alchemists with their masteries. That kind of thing IS fun and they should do more of it.

the random stat gear is leveling fodder, nothing more. All your other issues are gating mechanics if the CDs were removed or some of the BoP things made tradable the market would be flooded and crash.

i would say professions are in a better place than they have ever been in this game.

I don't know about your server but on mine nothing sells anyways. People just go to friends and guildies for their crafts. You don't sell epic gear, you make it for friends or alts.
Edited by Turtoth on 12/3/2012 1:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
while some servers may be better or worse than others for selling certain things, i have little doubt i would be able to sell my 479 leatherworking stuff on yours or pretty much any server. The ones that struggle with this are the larger servers/factions where theres so much competition that it drives prices so far down that it isnt worth it anymore. If it truly isn't selling then you are probably charging to much.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I charge less than everyone else on the AH and still nothing sells. It's not selling cause nobody wants it, most clothies who want my epics either already have them, or are waiting on a tailor they know, ie a friend or guildie. I've been approached by a few guildies for mats but that's just guildies.

When I'm in dungeons and I see clothies with those epics I whisper them and ask if they bought it, made it themselves, or asked a friend/guildie to make them. I have yet to hear that they bought it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I think they can make professions more enjoyable over all also, as well as more meaningful.

I do enjoy the random procs of extras or higher quality.

Random enchants on gear is frustratingly annoying... yes we all grind a bunch out just to level... yet having more control over the final product sounds more like the definition of crafting.

Helping out friends or our own alts requires more mats than the single final product, because we have no idea what we will end up with. there is even the possibility of not having anything even remotelly close to what's needed/wanted.

While they don't do this with the Rare or Epic items, crafting a common set with specific stats is desired...

If they truely want to leave in the randomness of the common gear, let us at least select whether we want Str/Agi/Intel primary stat, and then let the chips fall where they may. Just that little bit would go a long way with common gear crafting for friends and alts.

I would also love to see the specialties come back, but not lock you out of the others. Simialr to the way cooking is set up, but maybe a little tougher to learn the other specialties somehow. A difficult and mat costly quest chain of some kind or something... i'm sure with the intellegent minds they have working there they could come up with something.

What i'm seeing with professions over the last several years is simplification of professions to reduce needed Art and Development time on them. imo.

Edit: another idea that someone else came up with, was allowing recolors as an additional sevice for gear crafting professions, to add some additional usefulness to those professions, since even the epic craftables have a very limited demand. This way BS, LW & Tailoring can provide an additional consumable, benefit for Tmog purposes.
Edited by Sylvyr on 12/3/2012 2:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Professions in MoP are designed to be easy to level, and all the leveling crafts are junk. Random useful stuff is just a nice perk, but the goal is to reach the skill cap not craft mountains of garbage. At least it's clearly junk, unlike Cata where you have very specific stuff to level up with, and every one of them is flooding the AH because questing gives comparable stuff for free.

Skillup greens are always trash. Every expansion.
Edited by Breathkeeper on 12/3/2012 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I would also love to see the specialties come back, but not lock you out of the others. Simialr to the way cooking is set up, but maybe a little tougher to learn the other specialties somehow. A difficult and mat costly quest chain of some kind or something... i'm sure with the intellegent minds they have working there they could come up with something.

The old way that tailoring worked was great. Pick which of the three clothes you want to specialize in, and you make more of that one. You only get to make one with your CD and you either kept or sold your cloths so that others could pick them up for their crafted gear. This was great.

Professions in MoP are designed to be easy to level, and all the leveling crafts are junk. Random useful stuff is just a nice perk, but the goal is to reach the skill cap not craft mountains of garbage. At least it's clearly junk, unlike Cata where you have very specific stuff to level up with, and every one of them is flooding the AH because questing gives comparable stuff for free.

Skillup greens are always trash. Every expansion.

They can still be easy to level and not be so random, it's still nice to know that you can make gear for your alt or friend instead of sitting there and possibly never see anything useful. Just make a larger list of things to learn, that's it. Still easy to level, costs the same mats, you just know what you're making now.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Leveling crafts is time wasted, but necessary if you want to make top level items. They should remove the leveling system on professions altogether and make recipes, patterns, etc. attainable through questing and via faction vendors purchasable with gold. These recipes should be relevant to play and not easy, but not stupidly difficult to obtain.

Reward needs to be equal to skill and or time to obtain it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]