Are there good Warlocks?

1 Draenei Paladin
Usually Warlocks get a really bad rap. Always dark and murderous and laughing maniacally like madmen/women. So it got me wondering, are there Warlocks who are definitely on the side of good? Ones who see it only as a way to fight fire with fire? Can they avoid corruption and stay dark guardians of the light?
Reply Quote
76 Troll Shaman
Its the other way around mate. Current warlocks got bad rep because of the past. Its the negative relating part of human mind. When u see a small mustache, its Hitler who comes to your mind immediately not Chaplin.

Also of note is that people who were main villains are not Warlocks but followers of the rightful way. Arthas was a paladin, Illidan was a demon hunter and Archbishop Benedictus was the Leader of the Church. Warlocks will always be at fringe end as trust will not come easily.

For the good warlocks part, nothing major comes to mind immediately though u can consider all trainers and the player(if he is one) to be a good warlock.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
I am a very good person.

What? No I didn't murder two men for their hearts.

Soul Shards? Don't worry, they aren't real, they are just a... party trick. Want to try?

And okay, I enslave Demons, it's not like they have any rights on Azeroth.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/03/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Ttm
Also of note is that people who were main villains are not Warlocks but followers of the rightful way. Arthas was a paladin, Illidan was a demon hunter and Archbishop Benedictus was the Leader of the Church. Warlocks will always be at fringe end as trust will not come easily.

Agreed with everything but this. Gul'dan was the strongest mortal warlock in Warcraft history and I think this quote sums him up completely:

I am Gul'dan. I am darkness incarnate. I will not be denied!
Reply Quote
76 Troll Shaman
Agreed with everything but this. Gul'dan was the strongest mortal warlock in Warcraft history and I think this quote sums him up completely:

I am Gul'dan. I am darkness incarnate. I will not be denied!

Again he is one guy. Doesnt speak for the whole group. Do u say all Aspects are bad since Deathwing wanted to destroy Azeroth? All arch druids are villains since Staghelm served Ragnaros? Please dont mix personal choices and vendetta of a single person while speaking for the entire people.

Your post sums up the entire point i made. Even if warlocks give their life to defend people, they will always be seen with doubt because of the past.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
No, because Warlocks don't view their morality in a binary sense.

If you want to be a lawful good warlock who likes cuddly animals and the laughter of children, then yeah, there's probably a few. They're probably crazy perverts or serial killers though.

You see, Warlock magic isn't about being evil. It's about forbidden fruit. They delve into the kinds of magic they're not supposed to touch. They look for the knowledge that is "forbidden".

Usually it is scarred, or emotionally unstable people who pursue this path. Take Illidan for example. He was a mage who resorted to using demonic magic to fight fire with fire. But he was also emotionally needy, had rejection issues, and felt him and his brother were in a competition his brother was too stupid to perceive. Illidan wanted to be the best; he felt he had a special destiny. This extended to him wanting to Lord over people, which(when he stupidly became "insane") turned to him wanting to enslave people.

Similar to Illidan, the emotionally scarred are inherently drawn towards dark paths because they are dark paths as well, though this wasn't the particular case with Illidan. I remember for example a cheap machinima made during vanilla about a woman who was beaten by her parents or husband or something so she decided to learn demonic magic to get revenge on everyone in the world, or something.

There are other types that follow that path, though. There are indeed those who are like Gul'dan--evil. He saw the themes of domination inherent with bending things to his will. As someone who came from a path that asked for it's practitioners to be humble and ask for power, the idea of having magic he didn't have to ask for was too good to pass up.

Then there are those who don't bring morality into it at all. They're just attracted to learning things they're not meant to learn. Magic is magic, to them, and knowledge shouldn't be hidden. Who they are as a person is irrelevant to their path. They aren't so stupid as to define themselves as one thing. These people would probably be emotionally hollow, or just generally open-minded.

So you'll never find a white-knight type of Warlock. You will however find pretty much every stereotype there is about anti-heroes in the class. Death Knights are similar, but different in the sense that(unless your role playing backstory says otherwise), they didn't choose the path they're on.
Edited by Draile on 12/3/2012 5:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
62 Orc Death Knight
The council of the black harvest is the closest were going to get to non evil warlocks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
12/03/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Draile
Illidan wanted to be the best;

Too bad he didn't have pet battles back then!
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
He did!

His pets were demons, and they won.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/03/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Kazgro
The council of the black harvest is the closest were going to get to non evil warlocks.

True, but that is one hell of a long stretch.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight

True, but that is one hell of a long stretch.

We don't know enough about them to say one way or the other. However, if the Black Temple visit happens with Xi'ri, we know that, at the very least, the Naaru believe that there are 'good' Warlocks.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Technically Meryl Felstorm would be classed as a warlock since he has used the powers of the Dreadlord possessing him a few times. Hes not a very willing warlock though. He would certainly count as a 'good' guy though.

Not many people like to think about him though since hes connected to the abomination called Med'an.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Night Elf demon hunters, if you mean a loose definition of "warlock".
Edited by Treegrower on 12/3/2012 9:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
12/03/2012 04:31 PMPosted by Ttm
Again he is one guy. Doesnt speak for the whole group. Do u say all Aspects are bad since Deathwing wanted to destroy Azeroth? All arch druids are villains since Staghelm served Ragnaros? Please dont mix personal choices and vendetta of a single person while speaking for the entire people.

Well said. Too bad there are a lot of people that think the other way. Especially when it comes to a certain brown skinned Orc (whom I won't name).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]