Highly Rated Post: Competitive Gaming

90 Human Priest
12/12/2012 05:39 AMPosted by Fînn
I support this 100 percent. Too bad GC will dismiss it with some sarcastic reply.

All that we can do is keep supporting good ideas in hopes that they get noticed.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
What's your opinion on the recent hotfixes?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/12/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Trenk
What's your opinion on the recent hotfixes?

12/11/2012 11:38 PMPosted by Getsomesmite
I'd say they're well on their way to what you want.

They haven't changed any fundamental mechanics. I didn't make any significant points about balance in the way of numbers. Sure they can make changes to balance out damage/healing but that doesn't really fix the underlying issues. The class designs are still far more boring than they once were and their design philosophy is still flawed. Balance =/= interrest. Rock paper scisors is a great game for balance but its not especially fun.

In fact, I'd say they're going in the exact opposite direction that I would suggest. One example of this is in the pvp power change. This just forces classes to fit their role as damage/healing more than filling their role as priest/druid etc. The pvp power change forces hybrids to play more like pure dps/healing specs. It's now far harder for a disc priest to go offensive and far harder for a shadow priest to help with off healing. This leads to disc just spamming healing like every other boring healer and shadow dealing straight damage like every other boring damage. There's no uniqueness.

We could debate the balance of shadow off heals and other things like that, but as I have already stated this is not about balance, it's about mechanics and interest. If i want to spam straight damage spells why would I roll a shadow priest, the class that has heals? If I wanted to spam heals all day, why would I roll disc, the class that is supposed to "carefully balance the use of their offensive powers when tasked with keeping their party alive" ( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/class/priest )?

This
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Oops, missed that. Thanks for quoting!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/12/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Trenk
Oops, missed that. Thanks for quoting!

Thanks for replying, keeps the thread alive.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
12/06/2012 07:58 PMPosted by Getsomesmite
Honest question: do games featured in competitive circuits like MLG make money off these tournaments? Or is just a fame thing?

I'm not sure if Blizzard makes direct revenue but it does provide an effective method of advertisement. Starcraft 2 being in mlg is one thing that motivated me to buy the game. I was interested in a competitive game. I'm sure that WoW being in MLG would be nothing but beneficial to Blizzard.

This, if they put time and effort into WoW like they did with SC2, they'd have stacks on stacks
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/12/2012 09:04 PMPosted by Dethz
This, if they put time and effort into WoW like they did with SC2, they'd have stacks on stacks

We need to let them know that this is what the players want. Keep this thread alive, request sticky, post replies, like, tell your mom.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Great post, I'd be interested to hear a blue response.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/12/2012 11:38 PMPosted by Eluss
Great post, I'd be interested to hear a blue response.

Keep the thread alive and maybe it'll get some attention.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
They will never go back to the old ways. I am pretty sure this game is dying as far as PvP. The PvE nerds will always be here. They're like Trekkies.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Wow will never be very competitive in its current state. It's more then the balance, its just the overall system. It is far too hard to ever be on a level playing field, esp with rerolls. My buddy for instance, has already quit on me. He rolled up a hunter at the very beginning of the xpac, they got gutted a bit, so he just had enough. Before you judge the guy, hes played off and on since day 1, played most seasons, played every class. Hes just tired of having to reroll to stay competitive and always being behind gear wise. He's tired of the nerf and buff wave.

We are older now, its not practical to waste the small amounts of free time struggling in bad comps or on bad heroes, nor is it practical to spend that time rerolling. He does have a warrior he rolled up he might play some, but dude is full blue/heroic weapon, like my rerolled shaman here. Hes just burnt out of the whole process. He played many a class when they were bad for a long time before we decided rerolling is the only thing that keeps you playing.

But rerolling is almost forbidden if you want to be competitive. I'm sure ppl will flame the guy, but hes been 2200 on multiple classes, even when they were bad. And sometimes what you picked, just isnt very fun. I rolled my druid Feral, and I sorely wish I had made him Resto. I just do not like Feral, even if it is extremely good right now. Its why I rolled this shammy, to heal, and now im starting to feel burnt out. His hunter isnt garbage, but he was already upset having to play BM because Marks sucks. BM getting nerfed and marks still being garbage, he said screw it.

Next, the whole participation issue. It is so hard to freakin participate in WoW pvp. So difficult. Its funny a game like League of Legends is widely recognized as a very competitive game, one of the best out there, and I would estimate 90% of the playerbase never gets to play a real 5v5 with a team, ever. Most of it is solo que. It is so easy to jump into League of legends, que up for solo que or with a buddy, and actually FEEL competitive. The game starts off on an even playing field, etc.

Why is there no built in way to find people to pvp with in WoW besides guild hopping and trade chat? Why is the pvp system built like classic instance runs where you sit and spam all day for some obscure run you really need, like pvping is in org. Not only that, if you really want to play and arent lucky enough to be in a guild like most streamers, you are forced to roll alts.

Otherwise, you will sit 5-6 days a week until your other 2 teammates decide they want to pvp. So to even play pvp, a lot of times you are forced to roll alts just to be able to because you cant be on more then 1 team at a time, and these alts are always behind, have a far harder time finding teams because of their lack of gear, etc.

I would really enjoy actually being able to do more then trade chat 2's sometimes. I'm just ranting, but I have about reached the end of my rope, too. I feel forced to RBG to catch up in gear, which is very hard to put together(Ive put a few together for points and it took freakin hours), and I'm tired of not actually arenaing very competitively because its so hard to find teams that will play, when I could solo que up in LoL or SC2 and feel much better about the whole process and not waste 3-4 hours of my free day and real life time waiting on arena partners to appear out of thin air.

/rant off, getting burnt out by wasted time spent staring at org.
Edited by Healubaddies on 12/13/2012 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/13/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Healubaddies
Next, the whole participation issue. It is so hard to freakin participate in WoW pvp. So difficult. Its funny a game like League of Legends is widely recognized as a very competitive game, one of the best out there, and I would estimate 90% of the playerbase never gets to play a real 5v5 with a team, ever. Most of it is solo que. It is so easy to jump into League of legends, que up for solo que or with a buddy, and actually FEEL competitive. The game starts off on an even playing field, etc.

This issue seems to be one that stacks upon itself. The harder it is to participate, be it because of partners or gear, the more people get discouraged. This leads to it being harder to find partners and the problem keeps multiplying. If it isn't addressed in a major way its going to get out of control. We've already seen far less interest and participation in arenas. It used to be 3 second queues and you would always be against a relatively even team. That just isn't the case anymore and participation and accessibility are defiantly big contributors to this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
12/12/2012 10:43 PMPosted by Getsomesmite

We need to let them know that this is what the players want. Keep this thread alive, request sticky, post replies, like, tell your mom.

told all my arena teammates etc, aye aye captain
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/13/2012 07:36 AMPosted by Slouch
They will never go back to the old ways. I am pretty sure this game is dying as far as PvP. The PvE nerds will always be here. They're like Trekkies.

We need to out Trekkie them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
bump
Reply Quote
92 Goblin Shaman
Sitckied and liked.

Ever since hearing of GW2 allowing you to start PVPing at high levels without the requirement of levelling, providing end game pvp gear and spells, I thought WOW, this is how WoW should be. However after some thought I think the levelling process is something that should stay but at least allow all pvpers that choose to bg or arena have some sort of normalized stat, perhaps boosting the very gear you're wearing to match what pvp gear would have. And as you've mentioned about cosmetics, you're earning honor / conquest to purchase the tier set look and not the stats.

Having to run through so many bgs with bots and afks for gear ruins the experiece and kinda burns me out. I mean c'mon it's a pvp, not a pvepvp. Yeah I get that WoW is an MMORPG based solely around PVE but if we could possibly seperate the two in a way that still remains the same, it would be great.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/13/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Dethz
told all my arena teammates etc

Thanks for the support
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]