simplest tanking class as of 5.1?

I've tanked 5-man heroics in Cata and earlier with every class, but I have zero experience tanking in Panda-land since I've been focusing on healing. I will probably continue to focus on healing with my various toons, but I would like to tank with one of them. The kicker is that the "rotation" and number of cooldowns needs to be relatively small so that I can focus on what is going on in the fight and not have to look at my action bars or panic about where some special cooldown is.

From what I can see, the bear might be my best bet, though the death knight might also be acceptable. There are more cooldowns than I would like on the death knight, but it is better than warrior or paladin tanking from what I remember and the basic "rotation" is dead simple. I have no clue at all on the brewmaster style. My druid is my "main" so the bear would also be the easiest to gear up as I get drops when I don't have a greedy panda (like this toon) rolling against me ;-)

Note that this would be 5-man heroic and LFR tanking only, just for fun and to keep the game interesting. I'm not concerned with min maxing or whether one class or another excels at progression. I would probably go back and solo all raid content that is doable in LFR level gear.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
I've been toying around with every tanking class for a while now (not much raiding, mainly just dungeons to test things out) and without giving it a whole lot of thought I'd say bear would be the simplest to learn.

In terms of learning curve, I'd rate the tanking classes as follows:
Monk >= DK > Pally >= Warrior > Druid.

If you don't want many cooldowns, stay away from Blood since proper use of cooldowns is very important to smooth out our incoming damage.

Also, I know many people who seem to think pally tanking is really simple. IMO, the basic rotation is pretty straightforward, but I've found utilizing the pally's potential to be pretty tough.
Reply Quote
I tried paladin without any addons for the first two dungeons when the expansion came out and I found that it was still tricky trying to watch my charges, look for procs (top, center or bottom of screen) and making sure I kept up sacred shield meant looking all over the screen too much. Not to mention hitting holy wrath and consecration on cooldowns. Maybe with an addon or if you do it all the time it would feel more natural.

My memory of DK tanking was that you had to get the rhythm right or you really exposed yourself to too much damage. Warrior has always been complex. I'm not even going to try Monk tanking given that the healing is already a bit much; the Monk is my only healer where I was forced to make shift macros for my 1-6 keys to deal with all the abilities in a sensible way and it still ends up being less effective at my current gear level than my druid, priest, and paladin for basic 5-man stuff.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Injustice
Druid is the simplest to play but hardest to progress past simple heroics

What makes it difficult to progress? Is it a gearing problem due to itemization or there are a set of abilities you need to utilize to be effective? For example, mage dps is easy until you are trying to maximize and then timing of abilities, trinkets, cooldowns, becomes crucial.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Wait, we're faceroll? Why wasn't I informed?!?
Reply Quote
DK is the easiest. Monk is definitely the hardest. I have no idea what Blizzard was thinking when designing monk tanks.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Taunque
DK is the easiest. Monk is definitely the hardest. I have no idea what Blizzard was thinking when designing monk tanks.

Probably the same thing they were thinking when they designed the Monk healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
12/04/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Punchlove
I tried paladin without any addons for the first two dungeons when the expansion came out and I found that it was still tricky trying to watch my charges, look for procs (top, center or bottom of screen) and making sure I kept up sacred shield meant looking all over the screen too much. Not to mention hitting holy wrath and consecration on cooldowns. Maybe with an addon or if you do it all the time it would feel more natural.

If you get IceHud it will take care of most of those issues. You can see your health, holy power, and your avenger's shield proc all center screen. Helps out a lot. That said, Pally isn't much of a DPS tank so DK or Druid would probably be better if you want to do old raid content.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Paladins are pretty easy rotationally, but when you look at their entire toolkit it can be a bit tough. Paladin is probably the tank with the most active control over their raid's health. There are so many things you can do to prevent a player death that it takes another level of comfort with the spec and tanking in general to get it right, which I think is unique amongst paladins.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I like to play my class inefficiently by shotgunning death strikes, then come to the tanking forums and boast about how easy the class is.

tl;dr Anything is easy if you play it wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Weren't you undead?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I like to play my class inefficiently by shotgunning death strikes, then come to the tanking forums and boast about how easy the class is.

tl;dr Anything is easy if you play it wrong.

Well, if you play DK like that, you'll mitigate less damage but you'll have a fair amount of survivability, enough to get through heroics for sure. Making a mistake with Death Strike can be made up for with the next death strike. It's not ideal, but it's certainly forgiving.

That sort of play with a monk gets you dead, and generally in a very short number of global cooldowns.
Edited by Kickgruntler on 12/4/2012 4:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
12/04/2012 04:38 PMPosted by Sheydrina
Weren't you undead?

You stalkin' me?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
My bad, I forgot to wait for my HP to be lower than 95% to Death Strike.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Kind of surprised you didn't take up Monk tanking since you already have one at 90.

Some find Monk tanking difficult. I think its a lot of fun and very engaging. To each their own though.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/04/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Injustice
Note that this would be 5-man heroic and LFR tanking only, just for fun and to keep the game interesting.

If it's for 5 mans and LFR then you can pick which ever one you want. They can all do that with limited 'all cooldown usage'. Go paladin and Seal of Light yourself to victory!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Insight* =P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]