Anyone else think that the Blood Elves...

85 Tauren Shaman
Should've had the textures/skins used for some of the Darkfallen, undead elves, and such? Sort of an 'unprettying' factor?

I'm pretty sure that if they didn't still look like beautiful tolkien-esque elves they'd have been accepted by much more of the playerbase without actually needing any change to their culture... aside from not getting the light back.

*scowls at the Sunwell patch*
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
So you want them to look like High Elves from Skyrim?

No ty.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
12/04/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Skytotem
Should've had the textures/skins used for some of the Darkfallen
I would actually like to be darkfallen
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

No ty.

Um... Never played skyrim so I can't really say.

I was just thinking some grey rather than pink, and some darker, non-gold aesthetics might've helped them mesh with the Horde better in some people's minds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/04/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Skytotem
I was just thinking some grey rather than pink, and some darker, non-gold aesthetics might've helped them mesh with the Horde better in some people's minds.

Always felt that was more of the Night Elves' schtick.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing those skin tones on Blood Elves either, they can kinda already have it by being Death Knights.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

No ty.

Agreed. Good god looking like a High Elf in Skyrim is..............

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR FACE!?!?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
The first, and most obvious, answer is that it is contextually important that they don't quite mesh with the rest of the Horde aesthetically as it highlights that this, like all of their allegiances, is one of convenience and any palpable friendships which may arise are simply added benefit (see Lor'theron/Vol'jin).

The second position is that their 'health and wellness', how they appear, is actually testament to their lifestyle (i.e. their subjective "evil"). The High Elves are often sickly, pale, conflicted precisely because they refuse to utilize questionable methods of energy extraction. The fact that Blood Elves are vibrant and well-hued is a subtle nod towards their behavior.
Reply Quote
There's the Blood Elf Death Knight skins, and most of them(at least the males) look retarded. So no.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
There's the Blood Elf Death Knight skins, and most of them(at least the males) look dumb. So no.

Fixed
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I was actually thinking that the Forsaken should have elf models in it's lineup, though I guess it doesn't matter where the models are race-wise.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
It probably would have done them some good to further differentiate themselves from the High Elves if the aesthetics were more divergent, but...

For me it's all a question of attitude - Blood Elves were originally powered by sheer rage. Magic, sure, but -angry- magic. None of this sissy effeminate BS WoW heaped on them, no. Everything was anger and a lust for vengeance.

Somewhere that got lost in translation, both in the character design and in the overall presentation. They could have gotten away with the standing design they chose if the Blood Elves were presented more in line with their Frozen Throne attitudes as opposed to... whatever the Hell Blizzard was trying to do in Burning Crusade. Instead, Blood Elves were reduced to metrosexual whaiffs who fell all the more glaringly outside the auspices of the standing Horde.

That said, I don't think making them more Felblood-esque would have been the solution. That's such an extreme change people would have objected. Fangs, wings, horns, scales? ... Yeah, they're definitely not your Tolkein's Ideal elves, but... too much.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I love the Horde much much more then the Alliance.

And honestly, I wasn't upset at all when I heard about the Blood Elves being introduced as our next race.

I became upset when they were around 50% of the populace. I'm fine with having a race that's aesthetically out of the norm, as long as its around a balanced percentage of the populace.

I do think Blizzard could down play the elegant/royal/high class theme that's attached the the blood elves. I mean, c'mon, they can't all be rich. They can't all afford to live in a high society and have manners and dialogue that reflect that. There's gotta be some gruff Blood Elves that go out and mine stone/do manly things.

Right now that's reflected mostly in what? Their rangers?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
12/04/2012 04:11 PMPosted by Silvurn
I do think Blizzard could down play the elegant/royal/high class theme that's attached the the blood elves. I mean, c'mon, they can't all be rich. They can't all afford to live in a high society and have manners and dialogue that reflect that. There's gotta be some gruff Blood Elves that go out and mine stone/do manly things.

I like to think that they just use magic to clean stuff and do laborous tasks, or assign those arcane golem bots to do the heavy lifting/building.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Well I started in BC and originally rolled a Night Elf, they were kool and everything but when I heard about the Blood Elves, the name itself intrigued me. So at the character creation screen, I could see that they were beautiful, yes, but they had a darker air about them, an air of ruthlessness and superiority, so my first Blood Elf was a Warlock.

That was my first impression of them. I would like to see some darker hair and skin tones as well however. I think that a great aesthetic feature that could still be added for Blood Elves would be runic tattoos.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I kind of wish blizzard kept the Original Blood Elf themes from TBC: Mana addiction, jingoism, vindictiveness, and pride. It kept the race as a distinct nation with some actual backstory rather than just another run of the mill elven race.

While I do agree that some progression was needed with their story, I wish it wasnt in the full out reignition of the sunwell. It took away most of the conflict and flavor that Belves had, as well as making them much more forgettable.

If I had my way:
1. Kael'Thas would still be the blood elf racial leader. His 360 turn from wanting to find salvation for his people to betraying all of creation was very strange. He could have been handled better.
2. I would have not had the Sunwell be restored, but rather reclaimed, with very slight signs that it would eventually be purified, but not in the foreseeable future. So many more plotlines could have come from helping speed up the sunwell restoration if it had been left as "Recovering" rather than fully functioning.
3. The magic addiction made Blood Elves interesting. Their constant need to sate their magical thirst gave them a unique character in the game.

Physically, i'd have changed them to taken on more... demonic tones, such as the beginnings of horns and redder hued skin. While we don't want them to be full blown demons, we want them to be distinct from the vanilla elf.

When/if they redo the character models, I'd like to see blood elves with the runic tattoos and glowing green eyes they had in the BC concept art
Edited by Arieus on 12/4/2012 8:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I kind of wish blizzard kept the Original Blood Elf themes from TBC: Mana addiction, jingoism, vindictiveness, and pride. It kept the race as a distinct nation with some actual backstory rather than just another run of the mill elven race.

While I do agree that some progression was needed with their story, I wish it wasnt in the full out reignition of the sunwell. It took away most of the conflict and flavor that Belves had, as well as making them much more forgettable.

If I had my way:
1. Kael'Thas would still be the blood elf racial leader. His 360 turn from wanting to find salvation for his people to betraying all of creation was very strange. He could have been handled better.
2. I would have not had the Sunwell be restored, but rather reclaimed, with very slight signs that it would eventually be purified, but not in the foreseeable future. So many more plotlines could have come from helping speed up the sunwell restoration if it had been left as "Recovering" rather than fully functioning.
3. The magic addiction made Blood Elves interesting. Their constant need to sate their magical thirst gave them a unique character in the game.

Physically, i'd have changed them to taken on more... demonic tones, such as the beginnings of horns and redder hued skin. While we don't want them to be full blown demons, we want them to be distinct from the vanilla elf.

When/if they redo the character models, I'd like to see blood elves with the runic tattoos and glowing green eyes they had in the BC concept art

Try not to make them too demonic due to not necessarily needing fel demonic.
Reply Quote
I love the Horde much much more then the Alliance.

And honestly, I wasn't upset at all when I heard about the Blood Elves being introduced as our next race.

I became upset when they were around 50% of the populace. I'm fine with having a race that's aesthetically out of the norm, as long as its around a balanced percentage of the populace.

Right now that's reflected mostly in what? Their rangers?

Comes with the genre, really. The Horde was underpopulated, and the reason why was obvious.

It wouldn't even be so bad if Blizzard didn't make the other Horde races look so much like monsters instead of relatable people.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/04/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Draile
It wouldn't even be so bad if Blizzard didn't make the other Horde races look so much like monsters instead of relatable people.

Then we could have had "big green humans", "little green humans", "blue humans with tusks", "hairy humans with horns" and "humans with a skin condition".
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Blood Elves, without those fel-magic feel, simply look too human. But i doubt that would change, since a particular majority of WoW fanbase don't care about lore. All they want is a naked blood elf lady for them to look at and mas-tur-bate during downtimes...
I'm all good with runic tatoos, better if the tatoos are carved into their flesh and on thier faces, because that was exactly what I'd expected of a race addicted to magic

Male human, on the other hand, looked too orcish, which is even more problematic.
I mean, really, even this undead male look much more handsome than most human male models.
Edited by Xerberus on 12/4/2012 9:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/04/2012 09:53 PMPosted by Xerberus
Male human, on the other hand, looked too orcish, which is even more problematic.

Whaaaaaaat?

12/04/2012 09:53 PMPosted by Xerberus
I mean, really, even this undead male look much more handsome than most human male models.

You look like an old person that needs serious medical attention... even Pandaren got that as a general first impression.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]