Anyone else think that the Blood Elves...

90 Night Elf Death Knight
12/04/2012 08:22 PMPosted by Arieus
I kind of wish blizzard kept the Original Blood Elf themes from TBC: Mana addiction, jingoism, vindictiveness, and pride. It kept the race as a distinct nation with some actual backstory rather than just another run of the mill elven race.

If you keep up with the lore and quests from zones they feature prominently in, you'd find that these themes are actually quite prevalent. This expansion simply isn't tailored to be a platform for them, semi-exclusively, as was the case during TBC.

While I do agree that some progression was needed with their story, I wish it wasnt in the full out reignition of the sunwell. It took away most of the conflict and flavor that Belves had, as well as making them much more forgettable.

A very interesting man named Alexander Graham Bell once said, “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” It's true that with the re-empowerment of the Sunwell the BE's had no real need to siphon energy from anything and therefore lost a little bit of their tendency to act with the ends justifying any means required. However, it opened up a whole new can of worms for lore to tackle: what about the people who actually prefer the new methods?

This creates story among the Blood Elves, between the Blood Elves and the High Elves, between the Blood Elves and the Horde as well, even, between the Blood Elves and the Alliance by way of Dalaran. I'd say it's far more interesting that simply, "everyone hates Blood Elves".

If I had my way:
1. Kael'Thas would still be the blood elf racial leader. His 360 turn from wanting to find salvation for his people to betraying all of creation was very strange. He could have been handled better.

It's not all that strange. It's quite common for mages, especially arrogant ones, to believe themselves above corruption and/or reproach. Archimonde. Kil'jaeden. Ner'zhul. Illidan. Medivh. Azshara. Arthas (stretching).

2. I would have not had the Sunwell be restored, but rather reclaimed, with very slight signs that it would eventually be purified, but not in the foreseeable future. So many more plotlines could have come from helping speed up the sunwell restoration if it had been left as "Recovering" rather than fully functioning.

Maybe, but you're forgetting that much of the lore that has happened since wouldn't make sense if Blood Elves had remained as they were prior to the restoration. It's likely that the rest of the Horde would view them as only slightly less chaotic than the Forsaken, meaning all these sidestories with BE/Tauren or BE/Troll relations wouldn't exist or, at the very least, they'd be strained similarly to the Garrosh/Sylvanas dialogue.

3. The magic addiction made Blood Elves interesting. Their constant need to sate their magical thirst gave them a unique character in the game.

It's still there -- and in fact, most of those who actually use magic (mages, warlocks, etc.) still utilize the questionable practices of siphoning magic from lesser beings. If you take a quick glance at the Reliquary page it's pretty much outright stated that this is a major point of contention among the people. It's also likely that this is partly why Lor'themar was concerned that many Blood Elves would consider re-joining an Alliance-affiliated organization if given the chance.

Physically, i'd have changed them to taken on more... demonic tones, such as the beginnings of horns and redder hued skin. While we don't want them to be full blown demons, we want them to be distinct from the vanilla elf.

It might've worked, but it would've been the stretch of all stretches -- the number of people who actually siphoned energy from demonic sources was likely an extreme minority. The reason BE's have green eyes isn't because they used demon magic, it is because they were in proximity to others who did.

When/if they redo the character models, I'd like to see blood elves with the runic tattoos and glowing green eyes they had in the BC concept art

I wouldn't disagree to this, I wanted to get tattoo's like that (not on my face, mind you) for years after TBC came out.
Reply Quote
When/if they redo the character models, I'd like to see blood elves with the runic tattoos and glowing green eyes they had in the BC concept art

1000x this.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
12/04/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Skytotem
Should've had the textures/skins used for some of the Darkfallen, undead elves, and such? Sort of an 'unprettying' factor?

I think they should have. I also think they should have had some lore to go with it. Their lore where they siphon holy energy out of a naaru to empower their paladins was pretty awesome. I like that they were addicted to magic and had to deal with it. The climax of the Sunwell patch kind of cheapened everything that had been done since the fall of Quel'thalas for me. The greater distinction between High Elf and Blood Elf would have gone a long ways I think.

Furthermore, I think that if Blood Elves were made to look like Fel Elves, then Fel Elves should have gone a bit further in their metamorphosis, maybe having Dread Lord wings or something like that.
Reply Quote
56 Dwarf Death Knight
I feel their looks reflect the state of their culture perfectly. Changing them to look ugly or less perfect would cheapen that.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I do agree on those tattoo bits, could use them as a cosmetic option.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]