Video Card (GTX 660TI/670) For WoW

21 Pandaren Monk
Not sure where a thread like this belongs, so I'm putting it here.

I was wondering if anyone plays WoW on a GTX 660 TI or a GTX 670, what its performance is like? I'm planning on upgrading from a GTX 275 (2 or 3 year old card, doesn't support DX11), and I would expect to see quite a large improvement. As it is with my current card, I get about 30 frames or less in Pandaria at 1080p with most settings on ultra.

I know WoW is also very CPU dependent. My processor is an i7 930, overclocked @ 3.74 GHz. Granted its an i7, its an older model. This won't bottleneck a 660 TI or 670, correct? I'm not planning on getting a new motherboard or processor for at least a year, but I figured I'd get a decent video card now that would still be good a year from now.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Get a 690. The second digit is what defines the card. 6=series 9= top of the line for that series.
I7-930 is perfectly fine for that card and will not bottleneck it. Might have to check your PSU however.
Edited by Dethh on 12/4/2012 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
i play on a 550 TI and can play on full setting without problems except when there is a sheesh ton of aoe... and from what iv seen the 660 TI outpreforms the 550 ti by a large margin... so i would think it would run wow full setting all the time... look the videocards up on youtube... thats what i would do.
Reply Quote
21 Pandaren Monk
Get a 690. The second digit is what defines the card. 6=series 9= top of the line for that series.
I7-930 is perfectly fine for that card and will not bottleneck it. Might have to check your PSU however.

The 690 is way more power than I think I'd ever need (not to mention a hefty price tag). I'm glad my processor is fine. Thanks for the info.

12/04/2012 05:03 PMPosted by Ogishota
i play on a 550 TI and can play on full setting without problems except when there is a sheesh ton of aoe... and from what iv seen the 660 TI outpreforms the 550 ti by a large margin... so i would think it would run wow full setting all the time... look the videocards up on youtube... thats what i would do.

Sounds good. Thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Note Radeons currently has excellent cost-performance ratio. Unless you HAVE to go with the Green Team, it is advised to go with a Radeon card.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Either card is overkill for WoW. You can run WoW on maximum settings on video cards that cost half of what you're looking at. As far as WoW goes, outside of DX11 improvements (which for WoW are fairly marginal) a 660 or 670 won't do too much more than that 275 is doing right now. Honestly, you should be getting better than 30 fps with that 275, so you might want to look at *other* things. (ie, Drivers...when Pandaria came out, Nvidia released a driver update that improved GeForce performance with MoP quite a bit, for example.) In this regard, the biggest question is, how much RAM do you have?

With that said, I have a 570 and 16GB RAM with a Phenom X4 980 & I run *everything* on the market at high/max settings. Your CPU is better than mine, but again... RAM?!? If you want to play Skyrim, Dishonored, or other such new games, and plan on upgrading in 1 year, just save your $$$ & get the 660....and spend the money saved on MOAR RAM! (there is NO SUCH THING as "too much RAM" so get as much RAM as your board can handle...probably at least 16GB or maybe even 32GB. 16GB RAM is awfully sweet.)
Edited by Drainbow on 12/4/2012 5:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/04/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Kalganized
Note Radeons currently has excellent cost-performance ratio. Unless you HAVE to go with the Green Team, it is advised to go with a Radeon card.

TBQH I second this emotion. I helped a friend put together a new computer recently, and was shocked at the cost of a Radeon 7950 ($299 or better!!!) I told him to BUY THIS NOW. Fantastic deal. I built my current computer a few months prior so the 7900 Radeons were still like $400-500+. If they were $300 at the time I would've jumped all over that.
Edited by Drainbow on 12/4/2012 5:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I used to play with a GTX 460. Averaged 90-fps in most areas and scenarios in WoW.

A GTX 660 ti would be overkill for WoW. However, it would future-proof you for other more graphically-intensive games.
Reply Quote
21 Pandaren Monk
Either card is overkill for WoW. You can run WoW on maximum settings on video cards that cost half of what you're looking at. As far as WoW goes, outside of DX11 improvements (which for WoW are fairly marginal) a 660 or 670 won't do too much more than that 275 is doing right now. Honestly, you should be getting better than 30 fps with that 275, so you might want to look at *other* things. (ie, Drivers...when Pandaria came out, Nvidia released a driver update that improved GeForce performance with MoP quite a bit, for example.) In this regard, the biggest question is, how much RAM do you have?

With that said, I have a 570 and 16GB RAM with a Phenom X4 980 & I run *everything* on the market at high/max settings. Your CPU is better than mine, but again... RAM?!? If you want to play Skyrim, Dishonored, or other such new games, and plan on upgrading in 1 year, just save your $$$ & get the 660....and spend the money saved on MOAR RAM! (there is NO SUCH THING as "too much RAM")

I have 6 GB of your standard RAM (DDR3/1600 MHz, I believe). It could be a driver issue. I haven't updated in 3 months or so. I also probably should have mentioned that I'm not looking to upgrade just for WoW, but WoW is the game I play the most often.

12/04/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Drainbow

TBQH I second this emotion. I helped a friend put together a new computer recently, and was shocked at the cost of a Radeon 7950 ($299 or better!!!) I told him to BUY THIS NOW. Fantastic deal. I built my current computer a few months prior so the 7900 Radeons were still like $400-500+. If they were $300 at the time I would've jumped all over that.

I've never owned an ATI card before. I know they generally have better cost/performance ratios than nVidia, but then ATI cards also have more driver issues and some games (like WoW) don't, in general, run as well on those cards. (I know, it depends on who you ask.) I still may end up checking out some radeons, however.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
AMD having driver issues are an old news.

You should check out Tech support forums -- there's bunch of "OMG nVidia driver crash nonstop for WOW!" as there are for AMD drivers.
Reply Quote
21 Pandaren Monk
I used to play with a GTX 460. Averaged 90-fps in most areas and scenarios in WoW.

A GTX 660 ti would be overkill for WoW. However, it would future-proof you for other more graphically-intensive games.

Yeah, I'm looking for a little future proofing since I'd rather not upgrade my processor and motherboard at this time. Instead, I'd like to upgrade in a year or so from now, and keep the video card I purchase now for that rig.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

With that said, I have a 570 and 16GB RAM with a Phenom X4 980 & I run *everything* on the market at high/max settings. Your CPU is better than mine, but again... RAM?!? If you want to play Skyrim, Dishonored, or other such new games, and plan on upgrading in 1 year, just save your $$$ & get the 660....and spend the money saved on MOAR RAM! (there is NO SUCH THING as "too much RAM" so get as much RAM as your board can handle...probably at least 16GB or maybe even 32GB. 16GB RAM is awfully sweet.)

Okay, you really need to do some research before posting because you're giving inaccurate information. In the other thread you confused the Vishera and Zambezi architecture and now your telling him to get more ram? 8GB of ram for gaming is overkill as it is, and by the time 16gb of ram is useful for gaming DDR4/5 will be out.

Also he's using a GDDR3 card with a 127gb/ps memory bandwidth which can bottleneck raiding @ ultra @ 1080p. Also factor in it has 1GB of Vram, higher texture resolution games like skyrim require more video ram to render properly.

I am a Nvidia fan, but the GTX 660/660ti @ 192 bit is a TERRIBLE buy. The interface will bottle neck performance on higher end games, and given the effective memory clock already @ 6.0GHz there is no overclocking head room. Of which it will get bottle necked by the 192 bit when overclocked.

I simply answered his 660 vs 670 question and I told him to buy the cheaper of the two & use the rest to buy more RAM. He didn't say how much RAM he had so I basically assumed he only had like 4GB or something. I wasn't far off y'know......and also, I said that for WoW he should be getting better than 30fps with his 275.

With the *other* thread I posted a current (ie. 2 weeks ago) link from Tom's Hardware with a handy hierarchy chart that states, in GAMING performance, a 980 is on par with a FX-8320, 6300, 4300, 4170 and just 1 step below an 8350. Last I checked, the FX chips with the "3" as their 2nd number are the newer architecture, and the ones with a "1" are the older architecture. No inaccurate info here. I'm just posting info based purely on *gaming* performance & nothing else.
Reply Quote
21 Pandaren Monk

Okay, you really need to do some research before posting because you're giving inaccurate information. In the other thread you confused the Vishera and Zambezi architecture and now your telling him to get more ram? 8GB of ram for gaming is overkill as it is, and by the time 16gb of ram is useful for gaming DDR4/5 will be out.

Also he's using a GDDR3 card with a 127gb/ps memory bandwidth which can bottleneck raiding @ ultra @ 1080p. Also factor in it has 1GB of Vram, higher texture resolution games like skyrim require more video ram to render properly.

I am a Nvidia fan, but the GTX 660/660ti @ 192 bit is a TERRIBLE buy. The interface will bottle neck performance on higher end games, and given the effective memory clock already @ 6.0GHz there is no overclocking head room. Of which it will get bottle necked by the 192 bit when overclocked.

EDIT: I have wow, league of legends, ventrilo, skype, multiple internet pages open and watching a youtube concert and with windows 8 64 bit I am using 4GB of ram atm.

So are you saying that the 670 is a better buy?

And as far as the RAM goes, I never get near maxing out my 6 GB. I believe my video card is the weakest element in my computer (and it's also the oldest).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yeah I just looked at the prices, I thought the 660 Ti was cheaper than $300. I thought it was in the $250 range. At around $350, the 670 would indeed be a better buy. The Radeon 7950s at around $300 sure are tempting too tho.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_IceQ_X/23.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-13.html

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-650-Ti-GV-N65TOC-2GI-Video-Card-Review/1647

Found these helpful for my GPU choice
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Can't do that. Graphics card performance changes with new drivers -- usually not a whole lot, but in case of AMD, the 12.11 driver changed the game. All those reviews do not use 12.11.
Reply Quote
I am currently running a GeForce GTX 660 Ti, with a i7-3820 CPU and 16 GB RAM. After checking forums and online reviews I read that I should be getting on avg 60-65 FPS on ultra setting. But when I play with this settings only get 25-35 FPS on a good day at 2 Moons. When I turn the settings down to high, fair or good its gets a little better. For example on fair I was getting from 60-70 FPS. I can't sit here and believe that this is all that I'm going to get out of this card. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions please help.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]