Best mage race?

(Locked)

20 Blood Elf Paladin
What race goes best with a mage and gives extra DPS
90 Night Elf Druid
Race doesn't matter. Pick the butt you prefer looking at for 90+ levels.
Forsaken, obvs.
90 Night Elf Druid
Actually... Gnome's get a smidgen more mana, and Drenaii get a smidgen more hit. So if you are going to be one of the top few hundred, or few thousand, players where even the tiniest variable is of utmost importance, and are going to notice that .0001% difference over other races, then ... choose one of those.

On the other hand, if you are like the roughly 8 million other players, it doesn't make a particle of difference. In that case, it's what Icedragon said.

<S>
No guarantee that racials won't be affected in a future patch. The Blood Elf Arcane Torrent used to require Mana Tap to activate, then was just a 6% mana return, and now it's at 2%.

But blood elves get some of the best hair. Hopefully they don't nerf the hair.
12/04/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Sylth
Actually... Gnome's get a smidgen more mana, and Drenaii get a smidgen more hit.

Blood Fury (smidgen more spellpower), Berserking (smidgen more haste), Touch of the Grave (free deeps proc), and Rocket Barrage (free deeps w cooldown)/Time is Money (smidge more haste again) say hi.
90 Troll Priest
If it wasn't obvious all races give you some bonuses that can help in different areas of the game. This is why we usually recommend you pick whatever race you like. I can easily name situations where a racial from every race would come in handy for a mage.
Edited by Monmonn on 12/5/2012 1:37 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Priest
Just Choose What Race Looks Best To You.

Yes a slight bonus is a plus. (But id rather play a class that looks good to me, then choose a race just for bonuses.)
80 Pandaren Mage
Pandas. Because pandas.
90 Human Paladin
12/05/2012 02:31 AMPosted by Kirjava
Pandas. Because pandas.

Double food buff
12/05/2012 01:36 AMPosted by Aiduh

Exactly. Which brings us back to...

12/04/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Harlan
Forsaken, obvs.
11 Tauren Hunter
I prefer undead (or Forsaken) mages. They are great mages!
20 Dwarf Hunter
worgen get extra crit if that help yea any.
100 Night Elf Druid
While the stats do vary by race, it's really not a huge difference. For racial abilities, you may want to try blood elf or gnome. Gnomes get a little more mana than the others, blood elves have their Arcane Torrent which restores a tiny bit of mana when you use it.
100 Blood Elf Hunter

aesthetics-wise, IMO, robes look best on belfs. racial-wise though, trolls for their berserking and belf for arcane torrent.
Edited by Mavina on 12/5/2012 5:25 PM PST
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Actually... Gnome's get a smidgen more mana, and Drenaii get a smidgen more hit. So if you are going to be one of the top few hundred, or few thousand, players where even the tiniest variable is of utmost importance, and are going to notice that .0001% difference over other races, then ... choose one of those.

On the other hand, if you are like the roughly 8 million other players, it doesn't make a particle of difference. In that case, it's what Icedragon said.

<S>

Which would you choose. The little bit more mana (gnome) or the little bit of more hit (draenei).
racial-wise though ... belf for arcane torrent.

At level 90, Arcane Torrent returns 6k mana every 2 minutes. It's quite useful as a silence/interrupt for melee classes, but given its relatively short range and meager mana return at max level is among the least impressive racials for a mage.
90 Orc Warrior
I wonder if there's a difference between DPS kings in theory and who comes out ahead in practice. I know that for my fire mage, I lose out on a ton of theoretical DPS either when my target is killed while my Fireball is being cast, or when I have to cancel and run ahead because the tank wants to pull a bunch more stuff. Which is my way of saying that teamwork and a good keybind/macro setup are far more important than build.

Anyways, if you're the sort of person to care about weighing the miniscule differences race brings into the picture, you're also the sort of person who likes doing the calculations yourself. Also paying to race change when the weekly patches change things around.

IOWs, what everyone else is saying. If you want to be the best, race and spec choices aren't at the top of the list of things you should pay attention to.
Edited by Cogruko on 12/5/2012 5:56 PM PST
IOWs, what everyone else is saying. If you want to be the best, race and spec choices aren't at the top of the list of things you should pay attention to.

Absolutely.

Hair - you should be paying attention to the hair.

(Forsaken don't have much of it.)
100 Night Elf Druid
The night elf Shadowmeld racial is also handy when you pull too many enemies and need to get out of there. But, I think mages have a spell called Invisibility that does much of the same thing.

If you ever make a druid or monk, though, Shadowmeld is a life saver. Use it then Flight Form or Zen Flight for an easy escape.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]