Discipline; Problems & Solutions

90 Blood Elf Priest
I am going to address a few problems discipline is currently having and some solutions to them, over the last two or three days i have been putting idea's out there to get feed back, and i think i have reached a conclusion on a few things.

Q: Smite Spam is not viable in PvP largely due to massive amounts of CC, and interrupts (in serious pvp matches specifically) How can we Fix this?

A: Discipline offers an excellent alternative to this, Penance. However the fundamental problem is that penance is on a cooldown timer. A simple rework of the spell to remove the cooldown, and lower the output, would increase the over all healing output slightly, while fixing this problem. Smite should be given some sort of benefit over penance to be used. The Question remains, what effect should take place. This ties into another problem discipline has, Divine fury. At current Divine fury offers not benefit to discipline. It grants another 15% Hit, but this is uneeded by a class that has over 20% hit rating (Well over cap). so the solution to smite / DF Problems is to change them outright.

The idea is to swap smite, for penance. To do this we should change both abilities, but we have a problem, we cannot change smite because its a universal spell. So lets look at removing smite from the equation and doing something useful to two abilities, and one passive talent.

The Change: Solace, Penance, and Divine Fury

It should be noted i feel that disc should go the way of damaging, and bubbling outright.and away from a healing class

Divine fury
40% Change when casting Penance, your Solace (discipline) now becomes instant cast, can stack up to two times.

solace (discipline variant)

Option 1
when casting penance this ability becomes active. This ability can heal, or damage its respective target for 45,745 damage (15% coeffecient), or 37,500 (30% Coefficient)
If the target is hostile, it will stun them for 3 seconds. If the target is friendly, it will bubble them for an equal amount of the healing done.

Option 2
When casting penance, this ability becomes active. the next attack will damage the target for 45,745 damage (10-15% Coefficient) and bubble near by allies in 15 yards for an amount equal to the damage done.

Q Discipline is a mana Hog, How can we fix that?

A: Blizzard has recently buffed rapture, but the problem lies not in the passives, but in disciplines high mana cost abilities. To fix this you need a most constant regen of mana or a simi-frequent amount of burst mana regen.

the Idea

Having spirit shell be changed to instant cast, aoe bubble for X amount, and then working in conjunction with rapture offers a more efficient use of time, mana and a better fluidity to the spec.

If spirit shell bubbles 5 targets, costs 15,500 mana per cast it would effectively regenerate 200% of mana 20,000 mana per second for 10 seconds. This will have on and off time, but will make the class very stable if no over powered on mana, so the fix is to change the way rapture works out right.

rapture regenerates around 200k mana. this is almost 100% of the mana pool per each bubble popped. If this was done on 5 bubbles it would regenerate around 1million mana, or nearly 3.5 times the mana pool of a priest.
l
at 22 seconds per 100k mana, that is a value of 66 seconds for 1 mana pool at 11k regen (which i have) this puts the regeneration from rapture at 1million mana over 220k regen a second. If we put a 45 second cooldown on this ability, we will enable the priest to regenerate its mana fully every 45 seconds.

this can be fair if disc priests remain mechanically similar as they are now, because of the lower output, you can trade this for higher longevity.

its likely however, the SS will need a cooldown of 1minute or 1 1/2 minutes to make this work correctly

just some numbers

if you regen full mana every 1 minute, and bubble all allies instantly for 250k you are looking at

8 uses of this in a 8 minute boss fight (typical)
a total of 2.4million mana regen from this talent. the simple fix is to make the regen not stack, so that you can only have the 200% up at a time, but can keep it constant, so that its the same as now, but more frequent, effectively giving us a 15-20% increase in regen.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If this is about PvP, please label the title as being PvP.

Your arguments about PvE "problems" or "weaknesses" are laughably invalid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It should be noted i feel that disc should go the way of damaging, and bubbling outright.and away from a healing class

No thank you.

What you're asking is way too complicated and radical.

Discipline is a healing spec which does so through raw healing, mitigation, and some damage.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Can you do me a favor, and figure out a way to make my fire spec be able to heal people? Thx.
Reply Quote
42 Draenei Mage
Q: Smite Spam is not viable in PvP largely due to massive amounts of CC, and interrupts (in serious pvp matches specifically) How can we Fix this?

CC and interrupts are the big problem with smite spam. The fact that PvP power no longer effects damage for Discipline makes it nonviable.

And even if it was a CC problem, penance doesn't really solve it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/04/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Mirari

CC and interrupts are the big problem with smite spam. The fact that PvP power no longer effects damage for Discipline makes it nonviable.

And even if it was a CC problem, penance doesn't really solve it.

I think that it's clear from the nerfs that went out that the devs do not want Disc Priests using Atonement in PvP.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
For PVE, disc is the 800 lb gorilla in the healing structure. He/she can do anything and no one can stop that player from doing it: Shields have the priority over all healing spells.
Literally: heal the future play a disc priest.
A disc priest just has dibs on shielding any incoming damage before it registers on other UI.

For PVP I am not sure you could still say that disc is the dedicated PVP tree for a healing PVP priest.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I think that the Disc Priest amazing in PvP or use to be but all the things they changed make it hard to run one we lost our control on other healers loseing Mana Burn. And of course the decreased mana pool.
Reply Quote
42 Draenei Mage

I think that it's clear from the nerfs that went out that the devs do not want Disc Priests using Atonement in PvP.

I honestly think it's more likely the devs just weren't thinking about it. Neither disc nor Mistweaver were anywhere near problematic in PvP, nor does it make much sense to strip away a major component of the spec like that.

Seems more likely that it's just collateral damage from blanket nerfs. It's a common theme in 5.1 even outside of that example.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

I honestly think it's more likely the devs just weren't thinking about it. Neither disc nor Mistweaver were anywhere near problematic in PvP, nor does it make much sense to strip away a major component of the spec like that.

Seems more likely that it's just collateral damage from blanket nerfs. It's a common theme in 5.1 even outside of that example.

That's possible, too.

Honestly, before Penance-while-moving and instant Holy Fire, I never would have used Atonement in PvP anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

No thank you.

What you're asking is way too complicated and radical.

Discipline is a healing spec which does so through raw healing, mitigation, and some damage.

this.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Disc does not need pve buffs, and you really do not seem to get what discs problems are in pvp to suggest fixes.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
the problem with pvp is that we cant heal effectivly any more because we run out of mana too fast, the pally has bubbles just as powerful as ours, we can't take much damage and we cant deal it either... when we spec we only have a few options that are worth while... and the abilities that we like mind control and mana burn where striped away without anything to replace them... the only cc we have left are pyc scream and pycfiend... we have lost almost all of our utility
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/05/2012 10:25 PMPosted by Krianna
the problem with pvp is that we cant heal effectivly any more because we run out of mana too fast, the pally has bubbles just as powerful as ours, we can't take much damage and we cant deal it either... when we spec we only have a few options that are worth while... and the abilities that we like mind control and mana burn where striped away without anything to replace them... the only cc we have left are pyc scream and pycfiend... we have lost almost all of our utility

Is Void Tendrils not considered CC?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
12/04/2012 04:35 PMPosted by Taymage
Can you do me a favor, and figure out a way to make my fire spec be able to heal people? Thx.

Symbiosis a druid and use healing touch! Although your few druid symbiosis are probably reserved for the tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
12/06/2012 01:04 AMPosted by Tiriél

Is Void Tendrils not considered CC?

ofcourse it is but it is in the same talent braket at psyfiend witch means we have to choose on... another fear is obvious right... if i am correct i count 2 cc abilities
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]