The Misty Keg 8: Mana Tea's Day Off

90 Pandaren Monk
lololol MW nerfs

lolololol Im terrible at names
90 Blood Elf Monk
Not.. a bad name. I guess!
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
I was going to make Misty Keg: Like a Chi Wave in the dark!
/shrug
Edited by Advanced on 12/5/2012 11:17 AM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
lawl
90 Pandaren Monk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E1p0sA8bgGA#!
90 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Endangered
also 5 bucks says someone !@#$%es out and this takes another hour to get final post
Where's my money?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E1p0sA8bgGA#!
HOLY !@#$
Edited by Zegreiart on 12/5/2012 11:58 AM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 11:52 AMPosted by Zegreiart
HOLY !@#$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_653093&feature=iv&src_vid=E1p0sA8bgGA&v=kBHJiKpbSLA
90 Pandaren Monk
HOLY !@#$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_653093&feature=iv&src_vid=E1p0sA8bgGA&v=kBHJiKpbSLA
HOLY !@#$ING %^-* BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This guy is good. Subbed to that so fast.
Edited by Zegreiart on 12/5/2012 12:03 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Monk
ENDANGERED I LINKED THOSE LIKE THREE DAYS AGO.
90 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Mist
SHOWS HOW MUCH PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION TO YOU THEN.
90 Blood Elf Monk
12/05/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Zegreiart
SHOWS HOW MUCH PEOPLE PAY ATTENTION TO YOU THEN.

You can leave my thread at any moment now.
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm just fine where I'm at, thanks.
90 Pandaren Monk
Zeg, responding to your questions from the last MK thread:

- 5.1 helped melee-healing. First and foremost, the TP buff now only takes 1 Chi/1 GCD to apply (used to take 3 Chi/3 GCDs to stack fully) so theoretically it would be useful to use now (healing needs meant it would usually fall off fairly quickly, pre-5.1, so it was too much of an investment to bother with for progression content). Additionally, the 50% passive Haste buff we got means we get more auto-attacks in (presuming you keep the BoK buff up, this results in an increase in the healing you generate via white damage).

The problem is that mana is now so tight that MWs in progression content have very little ability to Jab for anything more than desperate-measures Chi, and almost without fail the Chi you get *must* be used for big healing actions like Chi Burst or Uplift (and TFT).

- Statue placement: I tend to drop it *between* ranged and melee. I mean... when are ranged ever more than 40 yards away from the tank? If the statue is mid-way, ie 20 yards from the tank, it's within range of everyone. This strategy doesn't necessarily work in LFR, since people stand whereverthehelltheywant, but in guild raiding, telling the ranged to be sure they're not out of range of the statue helps to introduce them to the fact that they're going to be learning how to be Chi Burst b!tches for you and stack like good little puppets.

- Vital Mists isn't worth it. I mean, if you're managing to do enough melee-healing that you happen to have it proc, sure, great, absolutely use it! On *whoever* could use it, tank or non-tank. But don't go out of your way to make it happen. Chi is too valuable to put it into TP to proc Vital Mists.

- Yes, only use SoM when you need to apply EM (or SuM) to a player for single-target healing. Also consider using it if RM is on cooldown, EH is on cooldown, you find yourself too far out of melee range to Jab (Roll on cooldown), and you're short of Chi to do whatever you need to do. Cancel the channel the second RM or EH come off cooldown, though; or consider popping Chi Brew instead of channelling SoM, if you have the talent.

- Glyph of Surging Mist is only useful if you're punching things enough to have bunches of Vital Mist procs. In other words - you vastly overgear the content, in the 5.1 world.
90 Pandaren Monk
Yeah, I messed up and used the glyph that made Uplift free but cost mana. Never again. Keeping RM out on people is kind of a pita, not used to doing that.

For what I do it's not bad with my horribad blues, lol. I'm not starved or anything for mana, my healing isn't awful, but again, I don't aspire to be an actual MWer in a real environment, this is just for funsies.

So, just wondering, is there a reason our MW isn't getting into melee? Is it not viable? If it is, should he be trying to get into melee a little?

E: thanks for answering my questions!
Edited by Zegreiart on 12/5/2012 12:44 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
For what I do it's not bad with my horribad blues, lol. I'm not starved or anything for mana, my healing isn't awful, but again, I don't aspire to be an actual MWer in a real environment, this is just for funsies.

MW is a lot like AA/A Disc was back in Cata. Yes, you can do... just about whatever you want. Cast what you want, gear how you want, talent and glyph how you want... until you get into tough content, at which point there are optimal healing and gearing strategies.

12/05/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Zegreiart
So, just wondering, is there a reason our MW isn't getting into melee? Is it not viable? If it is, should he be trying to get into melee a little?

Melee *positioning* is smart. No, he's not likely going to do a lot of melee-*healing*, but the fact remains that Jab continues to be our only on-demand guaranteed Chi generator. That is a crucial fact to understand, even if we try as best we can to not do much Jabbing anymore because of the mana situation.

You can do everything in melee that you can do if you stand at ranged. It does not in any way limit your ability to cast. What it *does* do, however, is open up the ability to generate the Chi you're missing if things go south.

It can be difficult for a dedicated caster (dps or heals) to learn how to deal with melee issues. Even if we're not actually doing much BoK/TP/Jab, there's no question that you have to learn how to avoid the harmful mechanics melee have to avoid... while also watching health bars and healing cooldowns. However, we have Roll and Transcendence, and again... I can't stress it enough... you *must* be able to get Chi if you need it, and you *must* be in melee range to do that.

Lots of MWs (especially post 5.1) continue to say "I never have a problem with Chi, using SoM/CJL" ... RNG is RNG. I already have to deal with *far* too much of it as a MW (Mastery, RM spread, Mana Tea "crit chance") - I choose to reduce the amount of RNG sabotaging my healing.
Edited by Meditation on 12/5/2012 1:04 PM PST
90 Human Monk
yay the new Misty Keg! :D
90 Pandaren Monk
I've been away from the forums for a few days. Grats on the fists Endangered, I still hate you.
90 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Mist

did you? didn't see em

you might find this useful for whomever has to be the off off tank for empress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZx-cYYLolU&feature=youtu.be
90 Blood Elf Monk
did you? didn't see em

might have been in another thread.
90 Pandaren Monk
Endangered, take a look at this guy: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blackhand/Nyf/advanced

I asked him about using Power Strikes over Ascension and Haste vs other stats. Anything else you can think of that would be a good question for a WW monk?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]