Curtailing bad behavior

19 Pandaren Shaman
What is Blizzard doing to curtail bad behavior in their playerbase?

I see constant trolls, bad language, racism, sexism, etc. in the playerbase. What is Blizzard doing to address these things, or have they long ago thrown their hands up and picked their battles, and feel that this battle isn't one worth fighting?

League of Legends has a very bad reputation as being a haven for obnoxious and vindictive players, and yet they've even hired on psychologists to figure out how to best curtail this behavior. I'd like to see some evidence that Blizzard even cares.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/178650/League_of_Legends_Changing_bad_player_behavior_with_neuroscience.php
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
They use the penalty volcano approach... which is to say they start by being fairly forgiving, and the more someone screws up.. the more punitive things get... until that player is no more.

However there are (roughly) 10 million players. You're going to have some bad applies... it's unavoidable unless you make things so strict that nobody can have any fun at all.
19 Pandaren Shaman
They use the penalty volcano approach... which is to say they start by being fairly forgiving, and the more someone screws up.. the more punitive things get... until that player is no more.

However there are (roughly) 10 million players. You're going to have some bad applies... it's unavoidable unless you make things so strict that nobody can have any fun at all.

I've seen the same people spouting racism for months in chat. Same person. I'll put them on /ignore, end up logging into an alt weeks later and notice that the same person is at it again.

That sends the message to me that Blizzard just doesn't care. And if I'm receiving that message, so are others that might be tempted to spout racism, etc.

Edit: I guess what I'm getting at is that people need to see that blizzard actually enforces the rules. People just quietly disappearing doesn't send a message. Maybe quarterly 'ban tally' announcements or similar might help. The fact that people tend to get away with the stuff for months on end with no visible punishment sends the wrong message.
Edited by Hothlo on 12/5/2012 5:24 PM PST
62 Orc Warrior
I've seen the same people spouting racism for months in chat. Same person. I'll put them on /ignore, end up logging into an alt weeks later and notice that the same person is at it again.

That sends the message to me that Blizzard just doesn't care. And if I'm receiving that message, so are others that might be tempted to spout racism, etc.

Ignore is a great feature, but make sure you open a ticket and report the person before you ignore them.
86 Dwarf Hunter

Ignore is a great feature, but make sure you open a ticket and report the person before you ignore them.

Don't open a ticket. That will just get you a "you should should use the right-click-report feature" response.

Use the right-click-report feature. It both reports the player and puts them on ignore for the rest of your play session, and it also only takes a couple of seconds to use.

Edit just to add: OP, please do report those players so they can be dealt with. It will help towards cleaning up some of those problems you mention.
Edited by Stoutlager on 12/5/2012 5:29 PM PST
90 Gnome Rogue
The right-click-->report feature was designed for just such losers. It also works for offensive names, cheating and other such 'bad behavior'.

As far as enforcing it goes I am sure that after enough 'reports' on a person they can go back to the chatlogs and review for inappropriate words and take action if warranted.

Although most small-minded players try to be all e-thug about being reported they usually shut up after being hit with a ban hammer or two.
90 Night Elf Druid
I hadn't ever seen such racism as I did a few days ago, and I right-click reported the player. This was like every 30 seconds, he was saying something with the N word in it- pretty mean things. Looked like he was just trying to see how long he could get away with it.
About 30 minutes later I logged to a different toon & the same player was STILL at it, only there were a few others joined in.

I guess they DON'T stop that stuff.
90 Pandaren Shaman
12/05/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Mikobravo
Although most small-minded players try to be all e-thug about being reported they usually shut up after being hit with a ban hammer or two.

Ban hammer. Lol. :D
Community Manager
12/05/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Hothlo

Harassment is a serious issue, and we've dedicated significant resources toward dealing with it. In fact, we have a large support team, and we've (comparatively) recently implemented faster tools to deal with harassment.

If you're experiencing harassment in-game, there are a few steps to take.
  • Don't respond, or get involved in an argument. Stooping to using language that violates our policies simply opens yourself up to suspension, and doesn't accomplish anything. Seriously, don't do it.
  • Use right-click Report on their name next to any lines of text that contain offensive language--the appropriate category should be Language.
  • Use /ignore to close the lines of communication.
  • If your harasser by-passes the /ignore feature and contacts you on an alternate character, immediately place that character on ignore, then open a support ticket to report Ongoing Harassment, and include that phrase, as well as the offending player's name, realm, the exact phrase that they used to harass you and that they by-passed the /ignore feature to do so. Please be detailed, our Support team works hard, but they aren't wizards. Mostly.

On the forums, just mouse-over the offending post, then click the 'downvote' hand, then select the 'Report' option.

You won't receive notification when another player receives any kind of disciplinary action due to our privacy policies, but rest assured that we like to make sure that everyone is on the same page regarding what constitutes acceptable conduct in-game.

12/05/2012 05:47 PMPosted by Pangur
Also, as harsh as this is going to sound, some people need to buck up and get some thick skin. Yes, there is racism. Yes, there is sexism. That doesn't make it okay, but those jokes have been around since cavemen and will probably be around until we discover an alien species to hate more than ourselves... and the sexism will probably stay even then. Point being, it's there. Either deal with it, learn to laugh at the harmlessness of most of it, or just start using your /ignore list.

I must strongly disagree with this sentiment. Just letting it slide simply allows the in-game environment to become more toxic. We've provided the tools to allow each realm population to help shape its environment. It's important to use them, and use them consistently.
Edited by Daxxarri on 12/5/2012 7:38 PM PST
19 Pandaren Shaman
Also, as harsh as this is going to sound, some people need to buck up and get some thick skin. Yes, there is racism. Yes, there is sexism. That doesn't make it okay, but those jokes have been around since cavemen and will probably be around until we discover an alien species to hate more than ourselves... and the sexism will probably stay even then. Point being, it's there. Either deal with it, learn to laugh at the harmlessness of most of it, or just start using your /ignore list.

Edit: Wow, I really can't use a synonym of boobs anymore. Awesome. Lol.

I don't really play much anymore, part of it is due to the horrendous playerbase. I'm using my own ignore feature: I ignore WoW.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/05/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Harassment is a serious issue

Sometimes the word harrassment is too strong though. I see something happen in WoW or the forums, and think "this isnt right, but its also not bad enough to be considered harrassment" so I just leave it.

How do we find the balance between harrassment, small annoyances or just plain 'I do NOT like what they are doing'
Edited by Delanei on 12/5/2012 6:07 PM PST
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
12/05/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Delanei
Harassment is a serious issue

Sometimes the word harrassment is too strong though. I see something happen in WoW or the forums, and think "this isnt right, but its also not bad enough to be considered harrassment" so I just leave it.

How do we find the balance between harrassment, small annoyances or just plain 'I do NOT like what they are doing'

Well I can't answer for the scary blue-purple alien, but my personal approach is that if they didn't break any rules but I just don't like it, I click the thumbs-down button and Dislike it. If they did and I think it's important enough, I report it.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/05/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Snowfox
Well I can't answer for the scary blue-purple alien, but my personal approach is that if they didn't break any rules but I just don't like it, I click the thumbs-down button and Dislike it. If they did and I think it's important enough, I report it.

Fair enough, usually I don't think its a big deal, just something that personally annoys me, and I let it slide... which starts a trend of letting things slide sometimes.
19 Pandaren Shaman

I must strongly disagree with this sentiment. Just letting it slide simply allows the in-game environment to become more toxic. We've provided the tools to allow each realm population to help shape its environment. It's important to use them, and use them consistently.

I can't help but disagree here. My old server (Moonrunner) had a handful of people who would spout mostly homophobic, but sometimes racist, etc. comments. I'd report them every time I saw it, then put them on /ignore. I'd see them doing it again months later when I cleared my ignore list or logged on an alt, making the same kinds of comments. The playerbase has no apparent power to shape the realm's environment.

Curtailing bad behavior involves many things, one of which is showing the results of bad behavior. Making people disappear quietly doesn't send quite the same message.

Privacy is one thing... but we're talking about psuedo-anonymous character avatars, not real names. By only reporting on the highest level of bans (eg. mass bans, or such), you make the actual enforcement of the rules, especially for bad player behavior that doesn't directly impact gameplay (since this is never part of the mass bans or guild bans), transparent to the players, giving the impression that such things are tacitly endorsed.
Edited by Hothlo on 12/5/2012 6:15 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's not possible to adress something when more than 1/4 of the playerbase act like this.
I see constant trolls, bad language, racism, sexism, etc. in the playerbase. What is Blizzard doing to address these things, or have they long ago thrown their hands up and picked their battles, and feel that this battle isn't one worth fighting?

League of Legends has a very bad reputation as being a haven for obnoxious and vindictive players, and yet they've even hired on psychologists to figure out how to best curtail this behavior. I'd like to see some evidence that Blizzard even cares.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/178650/League_of_Legends_Changing_bad_player_behavior_with_neuroscience.php

52 minutes ago

Nobody cares about what Riot Games does, besides Rip Off of other MOBA's . Even comparing League of Legends to Wow is a Joke.
League of Legends ripped off of WC3, then Dota 2, then had the nerve to go pay2win.
Game balance revolves around buying the newest hero , only to have it nerfed 2 weeks later (they call this a hotfix) They will ban you for so much as calling a player bad or telling them what item to buy. You have to literally avoid chatting or become Sir Buttkiss to not receive a ban for telling people what not to do.

I laughed when you said they hired psychologists. Someone could make 5000 league of legends accounts and troll people every game, and what would Riot be able to do about it? Nothing . This game is different because of the amount of time people put into their characters.

I think Blizzard is just extremely understaffed atm. I remember when opening a ticket a GM would come extremely fast. Now it takes at least 1-2 days, if not more. Pretty sure they laid off a bunch of Customer Service Staff.
90 Human Paladin
12/05/2012 06:15 PMPosted by Medíc
It's not possible to adress something when more than 1/4 of the playerbase act like this.

Making up stats isn't being very constructive.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]