Curtailing bad behavior

90 Night Elf Death Knight
12/05/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Daxxarri
What is Blizzard doing to curtail bad behavior in their playerbase?

Harassment is a serious issue, and we've dedicated significant resources toward dealing with it. In fact, we have a large support team, and we've (comparatively) recently implemented faster tools to deal with harassment.

If you're experiencing harassment in-game, there are a few steps to take.
  • Don't respond, or get involved in an argument. Stooping to using language that violates our policies simply opens yourself up to suspension, and doesn't accomplish anything. Seriously, don't do it.
  • Use right-click Report Harassment on their name next to any lines of text that contain offensive language--the appropriate category should be Language.
  • Use /ignore to close the lines of communication.
  • If your harasser by-passes the /ignore feature and contacts you on an alternate character, immediately place that character on ignore, then open a support ticket to report Ongoing Harassment, and include that phrase, as well as the offending player's name, realm, the exact phrase that they used to harass you and that they by-passed the /ignore feature to do so. Please be detailed, our Support team works hard, but they aren't wizards. Mostly.

On the forums, just mouse-over the offending post, then click the 'downvote' hand, then select the 'Report' option.

You won't receive notification when another player receives any kind of disciplinary action due to our privacy policies, but rest assured that we like to make sure that everyone is on the same page regarding what constitutes acceptable conduct in-game.

Also, as harsh as this is going to sound, some people need to buck up and get some thick skin. Yes, there is racism. Yes, there is sexism. That doesn't make it okay, but those jokes have been around since cavemen and will probably be around until we discover an alien species to hate more than ourselves... and the sexism will probably stay even then. Point being, it's there. Either deal with it, learn to laugh at the harmlessness of most of it, or just start using your /ignore list.

I must strongly disagree with this sentiment. Just letting it slide simply allows the in-game environment to become more toxic. We've provided the tools to allow each realm population to help shape its environment. It's important to use them, and use them consistently.

Thank you for answering in this thread. To be honest I have cancelled by subs, so did my husband as well as our best friend. For myself this issue is one of the main out of two. For my husband this is his number one issue. We have felt like blizzard has not taken enough steps to deter behavior that is simply out of control. I remember when he first started years ago, he was so pleased by the people on this game. He had been playing Dungeons and Dragons online and WoW was a breath of fresh air for him. Unfortunately since then it's degraded to the same kind of player base.

There used to be a sort of morality in the game. A good example has been what's going on in dungeons. Say a situation where a DPS ring drops and the Tank rolls on it. Once upon a time the group would come to a stop and handle it themselves. I remember this happening all the time. While Blizzard itself would refuse to define loot rules, it was an accepted code of conduct that everyone seemed to follow if not you ended up being kicked many times from a party. Now though, in the same situation should someone speak out about it, they're cussed out and told to deal with it. It's become a dog eat dog game and is no longer as enjoyable as it is frustrating.

A story I've told before was when this new expansion was not even 24 hours old. I was excited to run a new dungeon and learn it with others. What I did not count on is getting a group that had done Beta. While I had no idea what was happening I was constantly belittled, called bad... and it made a very miserable experience. It took awhile before I set foot again in the dungeons and I noticed the trend becoming more popular. I went out of my way as I learned dungeons to help new people but many times people would just leave because people would just trash them. How is this going to even attract new players at all if they feel like they can't play all the aspects of the game?

I do hope the community is cleaned up. I hope something is done about the PvP problems. I'm sorry I know people say the groups of 90s ganking 60th levels is outland is pvp, it's not. It's Harassment. Imagine you are a brand new player, you device you love pvp. You join a pvp server and this happens. Suddenly you no longer feel like going out and questing, looking for level appropriate fighting... that spur of a moment, you find someone your level, they find you and you fight..,. you lose out on all of that. The moment you leave and try to quest you get pounced on, by not one or two.. but by a group. That person isn't going to want to stay very much longer....

I truly loved this game, I was looking forward to doing so many things with it. I just can't do it anymore... I'm sorry.. good luck in the future but as of the 7th of January I am out.
90 Worgen Death Knight
12/05/2012 07:44 PMPosted by Wreckingball
I think a lot of people wont be happy until we are all censored in though and in action. The though police are on the way.

No need to censor your thoughts - just keep your MOUTH shut please, and it'll all be good .
91 Night Elf Hunter
I think a lot of people wont be happy until we are all censored in though and in action. The though police are on the way
You know though, this is not what people would want. People just need to learn that excessive use of profanity, racism, sexism is not a proper thing. It looks bad, it sounds worse, and it the profanity loses all attitude in it when excessively used.
did you REALLY just defend racism by generalizing people??

no, i mean.. seriously?

and Wrath/Cata, like i said.. were LONG before Brazilian Servers were around

wow, just wow

and nobody is calling someone a racist for "not wanting to play with someone else" .. you HAVE that option... you don't have to play with them..

But the endless "mud hut dwellers" and other crap that streamed out of every pre-tweens mouth when the server was predominantly BR (which, sorry to tell ya was as early as Vanilla.. a LOT of them were here longer than most.. Phoenix Exile was on Guru since Vanilla, and they used to be mostly BR)

seriously.. do some people even bother to THINK anymore before speaking?

I have nothing against Brazilians, playing vs anyone who lags usually sucks. All I am saying is that people are entitled to their opinion. In any game with players having a say, people with high ping get kicked 95% of the time. Nobody should have to play with laggers, that is my point. The player with low ping should not have to suffer because the guy with low bandwith 6,000 miles away has high ping and is teleporting in every direction .
Im not sure if you are illiterate, but US= United States. Those servers were not intended to host players thousands of miles away with extremely high ping. The ideal gaming experience revolves around everyone having low ping, in every multiplayer game in existence. If you perceive that as racist, stop playing multiplayer games.
90 Human Paladin
Let's curtail standing in the fire while we're curtailing bad behavior.
Edited by Trickyrick on 12/5/2012 8:07 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/05/2012 07:44 PMPosted by Wreckingball
I think a lot of people wont be happy until we are all censored in though and in action. The though police are on the way.

I can only respond to this with a morality play that I experienced as a kid.

I come from a German background.

I grew up with the appreciation of German influence on the arts, the music of Strauss, my grandmother's print of Crucifixion by Grunewald, and incredible photos of the Rhine. I had a multiple-times removed relative who visited the American branch of the family and taught me the rudiments of Deutsch and what it meant to put in a hard day's work and be proud of your efforts.

I didn't understand what he said one day and asked him what Hitler Jungend meant. It was probably the most important lesson I will ever pass on to my children:

"You must obey your conscience, even in the face of death and pain. Nothing is more important than being a good person."

So for every last piece of 'thought police' commentary that you'd like to share, ironic or not, hipster or not, facebookish or not, REAL OR NOT ...

... at the end of the day, you are the one who has to look in the mirror.

Enjoy brushing your teeth.
Edited by Wexlur on 12/5/2012 8:12 PM PST
90 Pandaren Mage
12/05/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Daxxarri
I must strongly disagree with this sentiment. Just letting it slide simply allows the in-game environment to become more toxic. We've provided the tools to allow each realm population to help shape its environment. It's important to use them, and use them consistently.

I find your disagreement overstated, since "allowing each realm" is just a euphemism for not actioning language, no matter how racist or offensive, unless it receives multiple reports. This is why your system is remarkably less effective even than the one in League of Legends, which relies on volunteer labor without GMs. Even taking our monthly fee and spending it mostly on support, you do an inferior job of moderating racist and other unacceptable language. And you choose to do this, because you a good chunk of your player base is racist and likes it that way. That's what "letting the realm decide" means.
100 Night Elf Rogue
12/05/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Morsk

I find your disagreement overstated, since "allowing each realm" is just a euphemism for not actioning language, no matter how racist or offensive, unless it receives multiple reports. This is why your system is remarkably less effective even than the one in League of Legends, which relies on volunteer labor without GMs. Even taking our monthly fee and spending it mostly on support, you do an inferior job of moderating racist and other unacceptable language. And you choose to do this, because you a good chunk of your player base is racist and likes it that way. That's what "letting the realm decide" means.

The tools to report are there, just not used very much (that I can see anyways) by the player base. The GMs wont know who to action if the tools are not used. Just putting people on ignore and not reporting is akin to putting one's head in the sand and hoping the problem blows over.
100 Orc Warrior
Blizz wont do anything, the bad behavoir people are paying customers. I dont know how many ive reported with nothing happening. I wish my ignore list could be bigger.
100 Human Mage
12/05/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Hothlo
I'll put them on /ignore, end up logging into an alt weeks later and notice that the same person is at it again.

You and others have to report them. If you can't be bothered to report them, then don't expect anyone else to, and then Blizzard never knows about their behaviour.
90 Draenei Death Knight
12/05/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Delanei
Harassment is a serious issue

Sometimes the word harrassment is too strong though. I see something happen in WoW or the forums, and think "this isnt right, but its also not bad enough to be considered harrassment" so I just leave it.

How do we find the balance between harrassment, small annoyances or just plain 'I do NOT like what they are doing'

The problem with the player base is most of the (bad apples) fail to comprehend there are real players and real feelings behind those characters. Thus they say things they never would dare in person or public. Since the invention of the internet there have always been internet tough guys that talk trash and they will continue to do so unless a real punishment is handed down.If its a threat report them not only to Blizzard but to the local police people like this are often cowards that have been or often are bullied and feel they can take it out on you.
11 Draenei Paladin
12/05/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Arkthan
Blizz wont do anything, the bad behavoir people are paying customers. I dont know how many ive reported with nothing happening. I wish my ignore list could be bigger.

Longer and also ignore the offenders account not just the character they were playing when you chose to ignore them.
90 Draenei Shaman
Between doing this and reporting naming policy violations, nothing gets done. Ever.

Been a guy on one of my old servers named after a brand name narcotic pain reliever that's heavily abused for YEARS now and guess what.. he still has the name. I reported him for the final 8 months I spent on that server. Hes still got it to this day.

They *don't* care. They say otherwise, but the simple fact that not a single name I have reported, or jackwagon I've reported has had ANYTHING done to them since BC tells a lot. A LOT.

Do an armory search for "Infanticide" See how many names come up. The word means to MURDER BABIES. I reported someone with that name once, then brought it to Blizzard's attention about how many players in their game have that same name. Nothing's been done. Nothing ever will be.
100 Orc Warrior
12/05/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Judgernaught
Longer and also ignore the offenders account not just the character they were playing when you chose to ignore them

Anything that helps would be nice.
19 Pandaren Shaman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Just a sidenote: letting the playerbase know in a visible way that such behavior isn't acceptable is a good way of ensuring the playerbase doesn't try to break them as much.

This is basic psychology, but, anonymity, CRZ, random grouping has degraded server communities. The lack of visible enforcement of the rules has allowed it to slip further. It's a snowball effect.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]