Curtailing bad behavior

90 Human Paladin
12/05/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Daxxarri
I must strongly disagree with this sentiment. Just letting it slide simply allows the in-game environment to become more toxic. We've provided the tools to allow each realm population to help shape its environment. It's important to use them, and use them consistently.

You might need some better tools then, because WoW is nothing like it was when it first started. The playerbase has gone way way way downhill over the years. I think 'cesspool' would be on the kind side of possible descriptions, especially in LFD.

The blatant racism, sexism, bashing, trashing, trolling, harassing, hostility etc... etc... is just way out of control.
Edited by Brudarek on 12/5/2012 9:15 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
Ignore it. I say it thousands of times this is the internet and people say things you won't like or agree with and trying the ban hammer never works. Deal with it and move on or better yet use that ignore button people seem to forget.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/05/2012 08:51 PMPosted by Allelya
Do an armory search for "Infanticide" See how many names come up. The word means to MURDER BABIES. I reported someone with that name once, then brought it to Blizzard's attention about how many players in their game have that same name. Nothing's been done. Nothing ever will be.

11:18 PM CST

Search provided 54 character names across multiple realms with the exact spelling. I had absolutely no idea that this was even a thing.

*wipes hands*

I'm out.
90 Orc Warrior
12/05/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Wexlur
Search provided 54 character names across multiple realms with the exact spelling. I had absolutely no idea that this was even a thing.

This has been complained about for a while. Hard to believe its still a possible name.
60 Human Paladin
The report feature doesnt really work IMO just look at my server, there this individual that i'm sure has been reported multiple times over and over and over..he is still there, he's on there for hours litterly, some people have even suggested that he works for blizzard being the reason why he hasnt been banned, this individual talks badly about everyone...same as the OP discribe, use bad language...but yet he is still there, so i dont report anyone anymore...simple fact becuase i dont believe that blizzard is doing nothing, and the same goes with BOTs, they like freaking roach's now, they every where another example that i dont think that blizzard is doing nothing, just go out there to the Heartland in Pandaland..go see for your self, freaking BOTs, gryphons walking on air, ya it's that bad, so again i just quit reporting them aswell becuase i seriously dont believe that any thing is being done.
90 Night Elf Druid
Oh look, another one of these...

These type of threads have been gaining popularity over the last few years. I have been playing this game since beta of vanilla, and in that time I have seen several different player cultures, attitudes, and generations. I have also seen the evolution of Blizzards stances, tools, and reactions.

When I started retail back in vanilla, server communities were generally policed by the population of the server. Very little if anything was done by blizzard; outside of the name changes for naming violations, People said whatever they liked, whenever they liked. However, with this power came reward and consequences. In vanilla, people had reputations to worry about, personal reputations, not factions. They had to adhere to codes of conduct because the world was much smaller. Your server was your server, people knew who you were and if they didn't like you, they wouldn't group with you. Blacklisting was a common occurrence. Before you say just name change or server change, sorry chief, no such luck. Those services didn't exist. So generally speaking, people were a little bit more aware of their actions. Plus people were also a lot less demanding, and generally accepted the tools provided by blizzard with a few suggestions for improvement.

Today, the world is much bigger. There is no such thing as blacklisting or any type of community policing. Sad truth of the matter is that from my experiences, which are vast, spanning several servers, factions and population levels (low, med, high), the community as a whole generally acknowledges and vindicates trolls or wrong doers which emboldens them to continue and escalate their wrongful behaviors. Today Blizzard provides name changing options, server changing options, and faction changing options; ways around community policing (Please do not mix this with me saying these are bad services, as I personally use and have enjoyed these services for many years). In addition to these services, the significance of ones server was lessened when they allowed cross realm battlegrounds in, I believe it was 1.12, in vanilla and then cross realm dungeons , I believe it was 3.3, in wrath. I say this because these instances lowered the level of repeat interaction between players; this gave birth to the ideology "I'm never going to see those people again". Since 3.3 the anonymity of the general player has increased significantly. People are generally more likely to do things they wouldn't normally do if they feel there are no consequences. To Blizzards defense and with my applause, they have provided the player base with a variety of additional options. They have increased the number of people that can be ignored, they have provided you with easy report options via right click, and they have even provided you with a chat filter option which generally speaking catches any commonly used vulgarities.

Since wrath, an entirely different category player has entered the community. I generally refer to this crowd as "the Xbox community". They like to be heard, say whatever they like, and enjoy getting people "mad", however they are also a lot more sensitive to any critique or wrong doing made against them. A dangerous combination if you ask me.

Anonymity is a problem in all facets of the world, take the face away, who do we punish?; If we can't punish, are there any consequences? If there are no consequences, why can't we do it? and so on.

My entire response can really be boiled down to a few sentiments;
Blizzard has provided a plethora of features intended to help their players weed out undesirable subjects and information. People are capable of great good and great evil, I personally have less faith in humanity than others and believe people are generally jaded and self serving but.. this isn't about me.. its about you :D. You can not control the actions of others, laws can't in real life, what makes you think its any different online? The most we can do is learn to live with what we have and to tolerate those we despise.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Account wide ignore is sorely needed in this game. It's the only one I play/have played, that doesn't have this feature and I for one cannot fathom why.

Why on earth would I want contact from the alt of someone I deemed offensive enough to put on ignore? Why is having to put all of a harasser's alts on ignore one by one deemed an optimal system in the first place?

I can understand wanting to educate an offender and give them a chance to redeem themselves, but the time span in which it takes them to get away from 'education' level to permaban is too long, in my opinion.

From experience, I saw someone repeatedly flinging obscenities and racism, even going as far as to create a guild on an alt with a racist name and using racist slurs to recruit members. I know he got a suspension because his racist rant in trade several days later whining about being suspended proved that.

Did his 72 hour vacation shape him up?

Hardly. He was back at it in short order and the cycle continued.

Education doesn't work on certain mindsets of individuals. Racists should be given no quarter. No education. Straight to jail, so to speak, no passing go, etc. Get rid of them.

Harassers fit this as well. Harassers are called such for a reason. They have zero respect for anyone as fellow human beings and a paltry 3-day ban will hardly deter them from their goal of making someone's life miserable.
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/05/2012 09:13 PMPosted by Brudarek
I must strongly disagree with this sentiment. Just letting it slide simply allows the in-game environment to become more toxic. We've provided the tools to allow each realm population to help shape its environment. It's important to use them, and use them consistently.

You might need some better tools then, because WoW is nothing like it was when it first started. The playerbase has gone way way way downhill over the years. I think 'cesspool' would be on the kind side of possible descriptions, especially in LFD.

The blatant racism, sexism, bashing, trashing, trolling, harassing, hostility etc... etc... is just way out of control.

Not reporting it is letting it slide. If we want to clean up the "cesspool" (if it were truly a cesspool would we still be playing?) we need to use the report tools to get things back under control. We have been given the tools to help keep our realm communities clean but they are useless unless used.
10 Undead Warrior

Do an armory search for "Infanticide" See how many names come up. The word means to MURDER BABIES. I reported someone with that name once, then brought it to Blizzard's attention about how many players in their game have that same name. Nothing's been done. Nothing ever will be.

It's for this exact reason that I've given up on Blizzard ability to enforce the rules of the game. Due to Blizzard's privacy policies we may never know if any action was taken against a player for most reports. However you can see if action was taken for reporting bad player names. I have reported players for similar dis-tasteful names in the past, and their names are never changed.

Also, I've seen many very visible threads (like this one) with dis-tasteful player names, that has full on blue attention, and yet the distasteful names go on unchanged. Blizzard can safely hide behind their privacy policy stating they do action all appropriate offenses (because we never know what really happens to the other player spewing obscenities)

However, it would be a sensible observation that they take all reports as seriously and effectively as they do for naming violations reports.

Next week we're still going to see 54 results for "Infanticide" as a character name on battle.net.

This shows either Blizzards lack of caring or ability to handle quality customer service. I believe it to be the latter, because I do believe that Blizzard does care about the quality of their games.

The typical blue response as to why such behavior continues to happen from one player, or why such names as infanticide is allowed to exist would be that no player has reported it. Which may be true, but if I walked past a problem at work and didn't take the initiative to take care of the problem right then and there, instead of waiting for someone to put in a ticket for it, I would soon be out of a job.
Edited by Seneselina on 12/5/2012 10:07 PM PST
90 Orc Warrior
12/05/2012 09:37 PMPosted by Jaxur
Today, the world is much bigger. There is no such thing as blacklisting or any type of community policing

There still is, just not to the extent it was in vanilla. Even a person who is blacklisted on his server can still do LFR and LFD and spread his stupidity that way. Ive seen a few peope shot down on my server who then left or quit playing.

12/05/2012 09:53 PMPosted by Mythox
We have been given the tools to help keep our realm communities clean but they are useless unless used.

I used to use them, till it became apparent it wasnt doing any good. A guildie of mine in wrath got banned, deservedly so, within 24 hours of his crime. Ive seen lots worse since that ive reported with no action taken. After a while you just fill up your ignore list and hope you have them all covered.
10 Undead Warrior
12/05/2012 09:58 PMPosted by Arkthan
After a while you just fill up your ignore list and hope you have them all covered.

See I think using the /ignore feature is a critical mistake. I think the reporting system, if it works at all, is based on numbers. If a player only has one report against him, it's probably going to be overlooked, or swept under the carpet. But if he has lots of reports, the player may be looked into.

If you /ignore someone, you're sending one report and that's it. You're ignoring the problem. By leaving a player un-ignored, you can send a report every time they break the rules.
Edited by Seneselina on 12/5/2012 10:03 PM PST
90 Orc Warrior
12/05/2012 10:03 PMPosted by Seneselina
If you /ignore someone, you're sending one report and that's it. You're ignoring the problem. By leaving a player un-ignored, you can send a report every time they break the rules

If i did it only once for some of the people i reported id agree with you. Ive reported several people multiple times with nothign done, that i can tell. I finally lost faith in blizz doing anything and just made sure i wasnt dealing with them anymore.
10 Undead Warrior
[quote="73203335613"]

If i did it only once for some of the people i reported id agree with you. Ive reported several people multiple times with nothign done, that i can tell. I finally lost faith in blizz doing anything and just made sure i wasnt dealing with them anymore.

I can understand that. You can only do so much before it starts feeling like it's no use, and it's just easier to /ignore.
90 Human Paladin
12/05/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Wexlur

11:18 PM CST

*wipes hands*

I'm out.

Sad thing is, A blue will see this and STILL nothing will be done.
90 Draenei Shaman
This will never happen. You can't prove that player wasn't on a quest. He could have been farming mats, reputation, grinding. It could be a bot. Or he could be annoying you. Maybe he is bored. Should he really be penalized for PVE'ing?

You penalize him for annoying. If he's bored, and annoying me, he needs booted. And if he's a bot, he *REALLY* needs booted.

And I don't buy the "farming mats, reputation, grinding" because it's mostly really high levels in low level zones being jackwagons because they can. There's better places in instances to farm cloth if that's what you're after, and if you're doing loremaster you don't sit in the same damned spot for three hours.

So yes, more often than not do i know why they're there. To annoy others. Which is harassment. In EQ2, the GM asks you to leave. If you don't, they disconnect you for 3 hours. No reason they can't do that here. In fact, they need to do it MORE so here, than there.

12/05/2012 07:20 PMPosted by Ablation
How do you explain Eve Online then? :p

If you tick off the wrong person in Eve you get your entire existence obliterated. By everyone you just ticked off.

12/05/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Tomaxx
I agree with this, I have reported people for racism/sexism/homophobia/bad names etc and nothing has happened at all, I even saw one person say "Report me, nothing happens lol" and he was right..................nothing happened.

Exactly.
90 Human Paladin
They use the penalty volcano approach... which is to say they start by being fairly forgiving, and the more someone screws up.. the more punitive things get... until that player is no more.

However there are (roughly) 10 million players. You're going to have some bad applies... it's unavoidable unless you make things so strict that nobody can have any fun at all.

There is a 'massive' difference between 'having fun' and what we see in the game Snow. Massive!
90 Dwarf Paladin
12/05/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Varun
Making up stats isn't being very constructive.

It would be sad if it wasn't true. Playerbase has degraded over the years, that's a fact.

No it hasn't. Maybe you are just older and notice is more. People sucked before the internet, people suck now, people will find new and creative ways to suck in the future.
90 Human Paladin
I like Guild Wars 2's instant 72 hour ban, bam! Thanks for coming enjoy your holiday. The diffence in community between WoW and GW2 shows because of it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]