Curtailing bad behavior

93 Draenei Death Knight
12/05/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Daxxarri
What is Blizzard doing to curtail bad behavior in their playerbase?

Harassment is a serious issue, and we've dedicated significant resources toward dealing with it. In fact, we have a large support team, and we've (comparatively) recently implemented faster tools to deal with harassment.

If you're experiencing harassment in-game, there are a few steps to take.
  • Don't respond, or get involved in an argument. Stooping to using language that violates our policies simply opens yourself up to suspension, and doesn't accomplish anything. Seriously, don't do it.
  • Use right-click Report on their name next to any lines of text that contain offensive language--the appropriate category should be Language.
  • Use /ignore to close the lines of communication.
  • If your harasser by-passes the /ignore feature and contacts you on an alternate character, immediately place that character on ignore, then open a support ticket to report Ongoing Harassment, and include that phrase, as well as the offending player's name, realm, the exact phrase that they used to harass you and that they by-passed the /ignore feature to do so. Please be detailed, our Support team works hard, but they aren't wizards. Mostly.

On the forums, just mouse-over the offending post, then click the 'downvote' hand, then select the 'Report' option.

You won't receive notification when another player receives any kind of disciplinary action due to our privacy policies, but rest assured that we like to make sure that everyone is on the same page regarding what constitutes acceptable conduct in-game.

Also, as harsh as this is going to sound, some people need to buck up and get some thick skin. Yes, there is racism. Yes, there is sexism. That doesn't make it okay, but those jokes have been around since cavemen and will probably be around until we discover an alien species to hate more than ourselves... and the sexism will probably stay even then. Point being, it's there. Either deal with it, learn to laugh at the harmlessness of most of it, or just start using your /ignore list.

I must strongly disagree with this sentiment. Just letting it slide simply allows the in-game environment to become more toxic. We've provided the tools to allow each realm population to help shape its environment. It's important to use them, and use them consistently.

Dax, the few concerns I have with blizzard harassment policy, is that its purely reactive to certain situations, I get that a part of that is that a person like myself might not be as offended to a certain player trolling and carrying on as the next player.

Though it's damn good advice guys, do NOT get involved in the argument if someone is getting really abusive or hurtful, I've been pushed to that point once and I told myself, never, ever again would I let myself fall down the level of a troll :( it's not just the risk of getting yourself a suspension, you just don't want to lower yourself to the level of the harasser. You're a better person than that and you need to tell yourself so.

I am a bit concerned though regarding this mentality that a community needs to police itself, as I'm sure a lot of people realize, a lot of people including myself, often come to Moonguard as a place to unwind and chill out and talk to friends, and have a little fun, but sadly, especially out in Elwynn forest, there is a lot of blatant racism in the /general chat, and I report for language every single person that uses the n word, things seem to have quietened down a little for the time being.

If it was the case, that we knew at any time, that a Blizzard employee could be monitoring our communications, so people were inclined to behave with a bit more civility towards their fellow players, because they knew if they took things too far they MIGHT be in trouble, would that be something that would help reduce certain issues?
100 Human Warrior
Unless the Population of people you'd have to ban<The popluation of people who quit because of harassment, nothing is going to happen.

Personally, I don't think is feasible to expect Blizzard to monitor every single report and determine if it was legitimate harassment or not. If people were automatically punished, I can guarantee that would lead to abuse of that system.

Also, just because something personally "offends" you, doesn't give you the right to punish that person.

The fact that people are crying about someone saying something mean to them over hacking, botting, and item duping is absolutely unreal.
90 Goblin Shaman
I have nothing against Brazilians, playing vs anyone who lags usually sucks. All I am saying is that people are entitled to their opinion. In any game with players having a say, people with high ping get kicked 95% of the time. Nobody should have to play with laggers, that is my point. The player with low ping should not have to suffer because the guy with low bandwith 6,000 miles away has high ping and is teleporting in every direction .
Im not sure if you are illiterate, but US= United States. Those servers were not intended to host players thousands of miles away with extremely high ping. The ideal gaming experience revolves around everyone having low ping, in every multiplayer game in existence. If you perceive that as racist, stop playing multiplayer games.

"I have nothing against Brazilians" "Brazilians all lag and are terrible to play with"

do you REALIZE how much you generalize? back in Vanilla/BC, i played a LOT with Phoenix Exile.. which, at MANY points were predominantly Brazilian. So i would say (given by the answer from your responses) that i probably know more than you do on a personal basis. And from what i know, a LOT of them had ZERO "lag" in-game. Last One, same way.. barring the idiots that they brought into the guild, were a good group of people.. and if you bother to look up their accomplishments.. i HARDLY think that they did that with high amounts of lag.

For that matter, we STILL have Brazilians in guild, and it's come up in conversation MANY times the effects of them playing on a US server. Seriously, dude.. you have NO clue what you're talking about.. so please stop generalizing a group of people because of the country they're from. I know people in CALIFORNIA that lag.. it has to do more with your OWN ISP more so than Blizzard's servers.

"Those servers were not intended to host players thousands of miles away with extremely high ping."

Seriously, before spewwing mass retardisms you learned in /trade.. do some research;

Blizzard was the one that BROUGHT them to the server. Ya, that's right. When their transfers OFF the Latin American server they were on came up, they were sent SPECIFICALLY to Gurubashi. A LOT of server transfers happen from one server to another.. not "choice of" and damn near EVERY Brazilian I knew that X-ferred over in Wrath came from the SAME server to a server BLIZZARD dictated because we were low pop with all the EUROPEANS leaving the server. Seriously, get a clue before opening your mouth and spewwing BS. Let alone Brazilians have been on Gurubashi SINCE THE BEGINNING OF WOW!!!! Ya, since Vanilla.. go look up Realm Firsts in Vanilla/BC.. 3 different Brazilian Guilds.

It's amazing how much garbage you sheep will believe.. honestly
93 Draenei Death Knight
That's a bit racist, I do admit, I did leave a BR guild once but that's because I wanted a guild where people spoke English lol.
100 Draenei Shaman
12/06/2012 12:50 AMPosted by Eliil
If it was the case, that we knew at any time, that a Blizzard employee could be monitoring our communications, so people were inclined to behave with a bit more civility towards their fellow players, because they knew if they took things too far they MIGHT be in trouble, would that be something that would help reduce certain issues?

Personally, I'd pay to see a GM pop up right in the middle of a racist argument in Goldshire.

That would be epic.

12/06/2012 12:55 AMPosted by Asmongold
Also, just because something personally "offends" you, doesn't give you the right to punish that person.

Here's the thing a lot of you people with this attitude don't get.

There's a list of rules for a reason. It doesn't matter if it offends you, me, little Tommy or Jesus Himself... the rules need to be followed and enforced.

I don't care if you're not offended by some guy out there named after bodily functions, the fact of the matter is that it's not appropriate to do so, the rules say not to, and someone did it anyways.

What happened when we didn't follow the rules as kids? We got put in time out. Or our butts beat, depending on severity. The simple fact that Blizzard has rules, but does not appear to enforce them, is the problem here.

Even if they *do* enforce them, they don't do it often enough or with enough show that we know something if happening. If people were actually afraid to drop the F bomb in Trade for fear of a game vacation, that's a good thing. If someone was actually afraid of the cops showing up because they made a false brag about killing some lady and then doing... things.. to the body, they'd probably NOT do it. Especially if it did happen. Because you know what, they're supposed to report things like that to the cops. If there's some remote reason to believe that someone's actually going to commit suicide, or is actually committing illegal acts of a horrendous nature, they're supposed to contact authorities. However, no one takes it seriously for some reason and the few that do or just want the damned rules enforced get ignored.

I don't log in to read chat that reminds me of middle school students trying to be "cool".
93 Draenei Death Knight
I am actually terrified of breaking the rules, but that's because I am too much of an addict to the game and don't want to lose my right to play it.
90 Goblin Shaman
so ya.. apologies for the rage posting on a good topic.. but this is the type of general idiocy racism has produced on our server.. REALLY hope I don't need to explain that one any further.

As to the earlier posts (had work, had to catch up) the fix is pretty simple, Blizz just won't do it

Put an OFFICIAL Blizz rep in-world like most other games have
Doesn't have to be labeled "GM" so much as it's recognized as someone from Blizzard, or in conjunction with. Player Mods even work to this effect.

Read the posts
Spend some time in-game

And you'll realize just how bad it's become

Someone put it 100% correct earlier.. with the way the systems in-game have become so anonymous (LFD, LFR, Server Transfer, Privacy Policies, etc).. the idiots don't feel ANY sense of "something CAN happen" or a reason to have ANY sense of control. To a LOT of people it's become their medium for being ABLE to lash out for that matter. Seriously.. there's people in-game that do it on a DAILY basis. Back in Cata.. trade would be FILLED with them. Racist, rude, belligerent, foul, sexual comments that are supposedly "against ToS" that continued on for an ENTIRE expansion. To that point, I'm sorry.. but NO.. the system isn't working.

How many people will it take to lose before this FINALLY becomes an issue to you?
93 Draenei Death Knight
I guess because I started in cata, I haven't known wow any differently. I won't go into too much detail, out of respect for blizzard's privacy policy, all I know is that I used to get abused the hell out of someone in trade here on Moonguard, who was constantly using sexist slurs against me and attacking my character, but when I finally decided enough was enough and reported the issue, I was finally able to link my professions again and play in peace. Crazy things still happen on my server, sure, but I feel there is an atmosphere of respect that has been restored on the server since I put my foot down.
90 Pandaren Monk
I have to say, a significant portion of the responsibility is and should be on the players. If you're one of the people who have a less thick skin, it takes literally seconds to right click and report. They are also ignored for the rest of your session, and you can go about playing normally. Seconds.

Secondly, I think a lot of people misunderstand -- people are not banned or suspended quickly. It happens in waves. With millions of players, you're asking the impossible for Blizzard to be so strict as to make it truly unappealing to be a troll. You are far better off using the aforementioned feature and not being so sensitive.
90 Goblin Shaman
Here's the thing a lot of you people with this attitude don't get.

There's a list of rules for a reason. It doesn't matter if it offends you, me, little Tommy or Jesus Himself... the rules need to be followed and enforced.

I don't care if you're not offended by some guy out there named after bodily functions, the fact of the matter is that it's not appropriate to do so, the rules say not to, and someone did it anyways.

As much as i agree with maybe a little better than half of what you said... you have to remember

If we all went by "what offended our inner child" BS.. EVERYONE would eventually be offended about SOMETHING

At some point, there's a line to be drawn about "what offends me"

You saying Damned would have offended most of my family both down south and the other side that came from (some still are) Yugoslavia

At some point in all that.. it needs to be a line drawn of "ok.. THIS is just generally offensive"

child !@#$
graphically sexual
things generally against the law

I'm sure you get what i mean.. and tbqh.. a lot of that doesn't offend me AT ALL.. but I accept in-general it would offend other people

a good example - I'm generally VERY open minded sexually by nature
i grew up with people and even family that were VERY Dionysian and still practiced old world Celtic beliefs
One of which would be Reaptide
Orgies to put it bluntly

And yet, people who have no problems sleeping with each other's spouses have a TOTAL issue with two men holding hands, or saying the word "Hell" in public. (swingers.. dem is some STRANGE folk)

none of that bothers me AT ALL because of it
Gay men and women also - no bother to me whatsoever

Yet, someone who I'm VERY good friends with and him and I have almost IDENTICAL beliefs on anything from Drugs to Drinking to %^-* to things much worse that cant even be mentioned because of their associations of Taboo.. have TOTALLY different views on !@#$%^-*!@ity (gay if that gets censored)

he is TOTALLY repulsed about even hearing it mentioned

and yet, he'll talk about things in vent with us that would make Dr Ruth blush

simple point - we don't ALL share the "fact" that "X" is "wrong"
Edited by Hôggle on 12/6/2012 1:27 AM PST
93 Draenei Death Knight
Oh I don't doubt wow has made me develop a thicker skin, I've had to, but there comes a point when the blatant racism and sexism is too much!
90 Draenei Priest
This sexism/harassment really needs to be addressed, look at the young kids just new to the game.. they look at chat and go oh cool! than follow along, and become corrupted like the trolls.. It is sad to see all the young ones turn like that, no morals, or respect.
It was not like this when i started playing WoW 4 years ago.. now i hardly play because of the rudeness, and arogance people turned out to be on this game.
So sad.
93 Draenei Death Knight
Yes, I am quite upset with the sexism I've encountered, so you not alone Abercy. For the most part, I feel wow is pretty much beyond gender, and most respectful players don't consider it such a big issue or drama, but yes, I do feel the ones causing the most abuse and grief are young people themselves in the 15-24 age bracket.
90 Pandaren Monk
If I may ask, what do you do when confronted by jerks irl?
90 Worgen Druid
12/05/2012 07:44 PMPosted by Wreckingball
I think a lot of people wont be happy until we are all censored in though and in action. The though police are on the way.

You are wrong here. We as human beings have a moral responsibility to behave decently and within expected social norms. Going into LFR and wiping a raid or repeatedly pulling bosses in attempts to wipe a raid is NOT normal behaviour. People sometimes wait for an hour or more to get into those raids and it isn't pleasant for them when some douchebag ques in for the sole purpose of making the LFR experience stink.

No one is asking for the 'thought' police as you suggest. We are asking that people who behave deviantly are recognized and dealt with as the deviants that they really are. Even though this is basically a fantasy, the ultimate situation is where people behind an avatar behave as modestly and morally as they would IRL even in the game. If you cannot do that, you don't deserve that Avatar, plain and simple. It is one thing to be more outgoing because you are behind a computer desk, it is normal to maybe behave a little more aggressively when you dont have to show your actual face, but griefing takes a derelict mindset.

No one is asking for 'more rules', they are simply asking that those rules are enforced and that people who misbehave suffer consequences with their accounts for those actions.

No where else in life could you behave so childishly and get away with it as in WOW. It is perhaps the most underpoliced MMO I have ever played. If you are a decent person you have nothing to worry about....so what is your real beef here?
93 Draenei Death Knight
12/06/2012 01:33 AMPosted by Jinwu

I run away, as I am so weak, that I don't want to get bashed or worse...there's nothing you can do, but run.
90 Draenei Priest
What's the point in bothering with a jerk?
100 Draenei Shaman
I turned trade chat off.

Recently I turned it back on to see if a Sha raid was forming. Then I turned it off again.

Edit: I also have my language filter on. Don't give a damn if people call me wussy or whatnot, I just don't like seeing the more vulgar obscenities.

Of course, I enjoy a good F-bomb in the right context and company.
Edited by Pouncey on 12/6/2012 1:38 AM PST
90 Draenei Priest
lol run for the hills..
90 Pandaren Monk
12/06/2012 01:35 AMPosted by Eliil

I run away, as I am so weak, that I don't want to get bashed or worse...there's nothing you can do, but run.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were an ignore feature for life? Haha.

But really, it only takes a few seconds to report them. You seem to want assurance from Blizzard that they're doing what they say they're doing. You're unlikely to get it. All the people who spout the importance of the rules should report bad behavior and trust that it's doing something. There's literally nothing else you can do, and it's a more potent option than you're afforded irl.

I myself know someone who has been banned for said behavior twice. He's kind of a jerk to people online and it was well-deserved. But it took around three months for him to be banned. It did happen, though.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]