iLvl 500 rShammy vs iLvl 473 discPriest?

90 Dwarf Death Knight
Who should be "winning" the healing meters. Apparently I came 2nd on Empress LFR by 10k healing (both on 55k HPS) and therefore I am bad. Obvious troll or are resto shammies in a bad place right now?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/06/2012 01:39 AMPosted by Macarther
Who should be "winning" the healing meters. Apparently I came 2nd on Empress LFR by 10k healing (both on 55k HPS) and therefore I am bad. Obvious troll or are resto shammies in a bad place right now?

Um...why is your team that obsessed with meters? You realize you "win" when the boss dies, right?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
12/06/2012 01:41 AMPosted by Tiriél

Um...why is your team that obsessed with meters? You realize you "win" when the boss dies, right?

Agreed with this.

Besides, Disc is in a very good position right now. They are capable of some crazy numbers. And because of their mechanics, they can make it look like you are doing worse than you really are. Just seems like your raid leader / team doesn't understand priest mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Agreed with this.

Besides, Disc is in a very good position right now. They are capable of some crazy numbers. And because of their mechanics, they can make it look like you are doing worse than you really are. Just seems like your raid leader / team doesn't understand priest mechanics.

There's a lot of give and take on a good team of healers. The fact that the raid leader in this case seems obsessed with numbers is not a good thing. The question is whether people are dying, and whether healers are going OOM. If neither is happening, then you could be a) overhealing the content, or b) there might be nothing wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman

Apparently I came 2nd on Empress LFR by 10k healing

LFR

Disc mitigation owns LFR meters. And assuming you're the shaman, unless the priest was someone from your regular raid team (which I highly doubt from the disparity in ilvl), just whistle a merry tune while you imagine him growing old, alone, and fat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
disc has inflated meters atm anyways. if we roll an absorb, the meter will take EVERY bit of absorb done by those, including what was partially used and divide it by something ridiculous like the cast of one prayer of healing. i've had attempts on the first boss of HoF where the meters said i was doing over 200k hps. because of DA and spirit shell.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
OP is the priest. You can do a ton of healing in there, but a shaman who outgears you that heavily should be ahead of you unless people are actually doing the right thing at the right time. Since you're talking about LFR, that's obviously not going to happen.

55k HPS is low for a Shaman that well geared. I can only assume he was just really mad after looking at the gear disparity and decided to try to make you feel bad.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Yeah should have posted from my priest. I was mostly mad at him because the tank died on the Wind Lord Mel'jarak fight and I was the only priest and therefore only one dispeling (using mass dispel on cooldown). So i questioned the shammies lack of purge use. That started the usual LFR bull!@#$ flame war I was trying to avoid but anyway. He must have held a grudge as on the second boss i topped healing by a fair amount and on the last boss he just about topped the meters. Probably the only death the entire raid was the tank on Wind Lord Mel'jarak (due to not enough dispels) and Empress (due to tanks not switching). I do admit i play LFR for the meters since the content is such a joke, I have to keep myself awake, but I was just shocked someone who didnt need ANY gear from LFR was pulling less numbers than me, and wasn't purging, didn't admit to being lazy, was overhealing with about 35% and let the tank die.

This really wasn't a flame/complain post, just a general, how are shammys doing vs disc in the raids you guys have been doing?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/06/2012 02:31 AMPosted by Keirisonis
disc has inflated meters atm anyways. if we roll an absorb, the meter will take EVERY bit of absorb done by those, including what was partially used and divide it by something ridiculous like the cast of one prayer of healing. i've had attempts on the first boss of HoF where the meters said i was doing over 200k hps. because of DA and spirit shell.

Its not inflated...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/06/2012 03:41 AMPosted by Macallister
This really wasn't a flame/complain post, just a general, how are shammys doing vs disc in the raids you guys have been doing?

You can't really compare the classes well if they're in the same raid. A Disc's absorbs will make a shaman's healing look worse than it is due to mastery's effect on Shams. Damage absorbed is damage that does not need to be healed. Overall however, they are both doing fairly well. Shamans are weak for spread out aoe healing and Disc is weak for spot aoe healing.(2-3 people not all in the same group).

That being said, a 500 shaman in a 25 man lfr should be absolutely owning the meters. Maybe he just wasn't trying and decided to troll lfr for fun? Some people don't want to tell others that they aren't paying attention and decide that being a !@#$ is better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Who should be "winning" the healing meters.

Nobody should be winning healing meters; because that meter is irrelevant.

Why are so many players obsessed with the healing meter?

There was a time not long ago, where mentioning healing meters would get one ridiculed and shunned for being a herpderp...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Who should be "winning" the healing meters.

Nobody should be winning healing meters; because that meter is irrelevant.

Why are so many players obsessed with the healing meter?

There was a time not long ago, where mentioning healing meters would get one ridiculed and shunned for being a herpderp...

I don't disagree with this, its right, so long as the boss goes down and people aren't dying due to lack of healing then what does it matter. But a lot of people who play this still like to see individual gain, especially in LFR where there is a slim/random chance of loot. Its the same with all games, some people play call of duty just for the fun of it, and they don't mind being noobs, other people love to top the scoreboard its all about what you personally get out of a game. That being said, meters do play an important role in determining whether people are slacking when things arent going well. I also have a few guildies who take their own performance very seriously, analysing logs afterwards. The last time meters were shunned like that were when i raided MC, but that was when they were new and when actually getting 40 people to raid was more important than being selective about who we took.

Also i did try to use the speech marks to quote the shaman healer who actually said "A shaman should never win against a disc priest"
Edited by Macallister on 12/6/2012 6:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Will be the first to admit i put in very little effort in lfr nor do i care who "tops" the meters. I am there for valor and a shot at de'ing gear for sha crystals.

Normal raid is where i care and try, not lfr.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 06:03 AMPosted by Macallister
so long as the boss goes down and people aren't dying due to lack of healing then what does it matter.

In general I think this is a very narrow, short-term approach.

What's wrong with identifying potential problems before they become a real issue?

I'm not suggesting that healing meters are the be-all and end-all of judging efficacy, but to think that all is right in the world because you killed a boss is equally flawed. Someone whose low DPS or poor spell choice lead to a wipe was probably making the same mistake on the previous bosses, you just didn't look for it.
Edited by Tarski on 12/6/2012 6:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

I don't disagree with this, its right, so long as the boss goes down and people aren't dying due to lack of healing then what does it matter. But a lot of people who play this still like to see individual gain, especially in LFR where there is a slim/random chance of loot. Its the same with all games, some people play call of duty just for the fun of it, and they don't mind being noobs, other people love to top the scoreboard its all about what you personally get out of a game. That being said, meters do play an important role in determining whether people are slacking when things arent going well. I also have a few guildies who take their own performance very seriously, analysing logs afterwards. The last time meters were shunned like that were when i raided MC, but that was when they were new and when actually getting 40 people to raid was more important than being selective about who we took.

Also i did try to use the speech marks to quote the shaman healer who actually said "A shaman should never win against a disc priest"

Players were ridiculed/shunned/mocked during Cata for using healing meters as a means to judge healer balance. Not that long ago.

Not trying to be rude, but: LMAO at LFR comments.

Meters are irrelevant for the topic at hand; what you are suggesting healing meters are used for is not what was expressed in the OP (LFR healing meter; really???).

To answer the original question, which you should all ready know: obvious Troll, especially during LFR.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 06:41 AMPosted by Tarski
so long as the boss goes down and people aren't dying due to lack of healing then what does it matter

I can tell you why it matters, why meters are very important for the player who wishes to improve their healing.

First, the raw HPS(healing per second) number can, with some know-how of the encounter and the healing classes involved, show you a rough estimate of your general performance in the encounter.

Second, if you are performing outside of what you would consider your norms for the encounter(as in, too low or much higher than expected), meters like Recount can break down exactly what your spell usage was, and how it contributed to your performance. This can be very helpful, as it can easily identify ways of healing you should perhaps avoid or embrace. For instance, in healing heroic Blade Lord last night, I found that Chi Torpedo was unexpectedly my #1 heal in the fight. This knowledge enabled me to adjust my healing strategy accordingly for the fight(as in, make sure to Torpedo around after every unseen strike). Without this breakdown of spell usage, it can be very difficult to determine what exactly you are doing wrong, or right.

Third, it helps the raid leader(s) identify potential problems and nip them in the bud. Just because you managed to kill a boss does not mean that what you did doesn't matter. It may be the case that the same problems you were having on one boss that you managed to kill anyway end up showing up on another boss, and causing your team to fail. In other words, it is not enough to just kill bosses and forget about the performance of individual members of the team. Rather, a team that really wants to improve(which hopefully includes all of them) has to encourage an environment of personal accountability, where every member tries their best to contribute as much as they can, and to eliminate as many mistakes as possible.

Fourth, and tied into all of the other points, is that it can help players identify how to improve their healing by looking at the meters of a player of the same spec. Lets say you are about equally geared/itemized as another healer of the same spec in your raid group, yet they manage to outheal you by a significant amount(significant being more than RNG). How would you go about figuring out the reasons for the disparity in healing numbers? Well, without a meter you would be left to guess, or to ask the player, which would elicit a subjective account of how they healed. If you had a meter, you could just look at what healed for the most, what was cast the most, what the other player's activity was. For instance, in the aforementioned heroic Blade Lord encounter, I noticed the other MW Monk was kinda falling behind on the numbers(more than was justified by the gear disparity). So,to help them figure out why the numbers are lower than they should be, I checked out my spell usage compared to their's. Just doing that simple step, I was able to identify the problem: they were SCK too much, and that was causing them to go OOM. With a simple adjustment to Jab for the chi generation, and encouraging more chi torpedos, they were able to pull themselves up a bit more.

Now, all that said, of course there are the people who decide to post meters just to brag or whatnot, or to bring others down. That isn't a problem with meters, rather, it is a problem with the player. Like all powerful tools, meters can be used for good or ill. Don't let the bad uses of them discount the very good uses of them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Apparently I came 2nd on Empress LFR

we honestly don't need a thread because some guy called you names in LFR :(
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
So the TL:DR answer is Shammy was bad/lazy and it was LFR so I shouldn't care. That is pretty much what I thought but it passed the time :)
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 07:13 AMPosted by Faolain
so long as the boss goes down and people aren't dying due to lack of healing then what does it matter

I can tell you why it matters, why meters are very important for the player who wishes to improve their healing.

Yeah, I agree with your points, not sure why you attributed that quote to me.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
12/06/2012 07:29 AMPosted by Bushmills
Apparently I came 2nd on Empress LFR

we honestly don't need a thread because some guy called you names in LFR :(

My apologies, I really didn't know this. Next time I will read the rules more carefully when choosing a topic to talk about on a public forum.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]