Fistweaving questions

90 Draenei Monk
Greetings my fellow monks, I've got some questions I'm hoping some of you can help me out with. This will be my first healing class EVER in this game(i have hybrids but I'm selfish and have DPS specs). The concept of melee healing appealed to me as I played a WP in Warhammer. However there's some things I'm wondering about and reading the MW Guide didn't really seem to answer:

What do you guys do for targeting? Do you manually switch targets from the boss/trash to a player when someone needs real healing and not just passive healing from Emminence/RM?

Do you have all your heals set up for mouse over targets so you can stay targeted on the boss but heal players? Or do you use a focus frame for the boss and have your abilities macroed to hit the focus frame so you can use normal targeting to switch between players needs heals?

Heal addons: What do these even do? I am ignorant of their functions and which one would be best for a MW.

Melee or Spell weapons: I know that caster weapons give SP which obviously as a healer I want, but as a melee healer I know that DPS weapons have better damage which would be more healing that way. Does it make a difference or does the 200% SP>AP make up for it?

Thanks for any help you can give guys.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hey buddy

I'd recomend mouseover macros or mods which would do the same thing if your thinking about getting into fistweaving. While fistweaving is fine for Heroics/Dungeons and LFR just note that its not a competitive healing for Raiding.

If you want the best wep for fistweaving go with a staff (with spell power) you always want spell power on your wep even if your fistweaving because most likely you'll still be using other spells aswell to heal with.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Yeah I forgot to ask about that. I assume that our main source of Chi generation in Raids is SM channels with Expels tossed in? Is being up on the boss at all not a good idea or can we still be up there at least Jabbing?

I only ask because I was just messing around with SM last night and holy crap 30% does not seem accurate. There were times that I could cast it 3-4 times in a row and not get a single Chi it seemed.
Reply Quote
Yeah I forgot to ask about that. I assume that our main source of Chi generation in Raids is SM channels with Expels tossed in? Is being up on the boss at all not a good idea or can we still be up there at least Jabbing?

I only ask because I was just messing around with SM last night and holy crap 30% does not seem accurate. There were times that I could cast it 3-4 times in a row and not get a single Chi it seemed.

Renewing Mists gives chi, and you should be casting that whenever it is up. So that first.

Most bosses you can be up close to and some it is not a good idea. We are consider melee, so you'll never get targeted by ranged mechanics and thus are safe to be up with melee. The only time it isn't a good idea is when there's some high attention to positioning needed (Will of the Emperor for instance).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

Renewing Mists gives chi, and you should be casting that whenever it is up. So that first.

Most bosses you can be up close to and some it is not a good idea. We are consider melee, so you'll never get targeted by ranged mechanics and thus are safe to be up with melee. The only time it isn't a good idea is when there's some high attention to positioning needed (Will of the Emperor for instance).

Will of the Emperor is so alien to me..I'm used to doing it on my Lock. Was doing it as WW last night and I swear even with DBM it's like I can't ever get out of those swings. It says Arc Right that means I should be on the left side of the boss to avoid it correct? I swear it like change direction mid swing...maybe the tank is rotating it or something.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
DBM helps with the dance? Hmm, will need to look into that this week.

Haven't tried healing on my monk yet, but I did get some very good advice the past day or two. So I will try to offer some advice based on my past healing experience and what I understand of monks.

First of all, I use a healing addon called HealBot. There are other options like Vuhdo and Clique, but I have the most experience with HealBot and I am normally very good at configuring it. The addon provides me with a window of the entire instance group, and by clicking on a players name in the frame, I can target them with heals, utility, and even macros, all without having to change my primary target or find them in a melee cluster #$%&.

What I am considering for my monk, is to setup my toolbar with my "fistweaving" abilities and perhaps surging mists and enveloping mists for when I am channeling soothing mist. With HealBot, I will then configure it so that if I left click on a name, it will channel soothing mist. Clicking the middle mouse button (3) will stop channeling SM and cast enveloping mist. Right click will be for an AoE cast (SCK is untargeted on my toolbar). CTRL + left click might cast renewing mists, CTRL + middle click my cocoon cooldown, and CTRL + right click is always my dispel magic (detox).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Mouseover macros are almost required to get the best healing from auto attacks. Targeting an ally to cast even with an instant spell will kill your auto-attack if you don't return before your next swing.

Healing addons are great, since it allows you to use mouse buttons on its raid frames (default UI eats all mouse clicks), track buffs easily and just more powerful in general over the default UI.

I personally use both healing addons and mouseover macros. It's a good idea to have macros as a backup, since an addon can fail sometimes.

Spell weapons. Great MWs are the ones that are above to use there entire toolkit. Not just ranged and not just melee. You'll need SP so you entire toolkit is effective, not just auto-attack or melee strikes.
Reply Quote
Mistweaving can be done with a melee weapon, its frowned upon. It can be done, but rather I've already had this discussion nd cranedancers is the way to go, but sadly no upgrades exist for it.

As for your other questions. I personally heal without addons or focus target. I just watch my raid boxes. not to say you could try it this way, or simply get an addon.

I use a mix of ranged weaving with fist weaving predominant, but switch on the fly depending on the encounter or if someone's about to die.
Edited by Daiyoukai on 12/6/2012 11:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
macro all of your melee abilities like this:

#showtooltip jab
/startattack
/cast jab

Works good for melee classes too!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
--"Fistweaving" isn't viable at 90 in anything other than casual heroics. Especially after the nurf to jab, i'm never seeing monk healers in melee. The only reason they would be is to use jab, at this point. If your only motivation to rolling a monk is "fistweaving", don't do it. You can't actually DPS to heal at 90.
Reply Quote
I use healium for my mistweaver. It allows me to set up a separate interface for using healing spells without having to remove my target on the mobs. I'll be dpsing the boss, click the soothing mists button next to my tank, and go back to dpsing the boss without losing my target. It's great! Totally check it out!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Thanks for the replies everyone. I got Vuhdo as some of my guildies had it so they could help me with it. I haven't actually healed yet, still missing some pieces for the set, but holy crap these healing addons are boss. That is so ridiculously nice to have spells on mouse clicks etc without losing target.

Despite the changes that MW's have had and all the negative things I read I am actually kind of looking forward to trying out healing.

Quick question, just popped in my head though. 2h staff or 1h/Oh make any difference for MW's?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Quick question, just popped in my head though. 2h staff or 1h/Oh make any difference for MW's?

I would imagine that a 2h provides more dps then a 1h, though you get slightly more stats with a 1h + offhand due to the additional enchanting slot.

Also, don't be afraid to use contender pieces to supplement your gear. PvP stats are no longer included an itemization costs, making a 450 crafted PvP piece as good as a 450 PvE quest reward.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
12/07/2012 08:14 AMPosted by Jozie

I would imagine that a 2h provides more dps then a 1h, though you get slightly more stats with a 1h + offhand due to the additional enchanting slot.

Also, don't be afraid to use contender pieces to supplement your gear. PvP stats are no longer included an itemization costs, making a 450 crafted PvP piece as good as a 450 PvE quest reward.

Oh i tried, my server AH is pretty crap though. Not a single piece of healer contender gear on it. Thanks for the reply.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]