Resto Druids in Raids

90 Pandaren Monk
Quick question. Is rolling Resto Druid in raids viable right now? (Specifically Heroic raids)

I've read multiple posts saying Resto Druids are one of the weakest healers right now but I'm not sure by how much of a margin. Are they at a point where they're just completely useless or does their lack of healing come from the fact that their healing is based on HoTs? I'm really not enjoying Monk healing and I'd prefer to go back to my original main, a Druid.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
If you're not doing the absolute highest tier of raiding, resto druids are fine, and you will not be wiping because of using a resto druid.

The last few bosses we've killed (Garalon, Wind Lord, Will), they wouldn't have died any quicker if we brought a monk instead of a druid. And we used 2 druids on Garalon and Wind Lord, so yeah.
Edited by Drimza on 12/4/2012 8:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you're not doing the absolute highest tier of raiding, resto druids are fine, and you will not be wiping because of using a resto druid.

The last few bosses we've killed (Garalon, Wind Lord, Will), they wouldn't have died any quicker if we brought a monk instead of a druid.

So Resto Druids aren't that far behind other healers? Because I've heard some pretty terrible stories about Resto Druids on various websites and forums.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/11/28/resto-druids-vs-the-world-healer-balance-in-tier-14/#continued

This is the post I'm referring to on WoW Insider.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
We're behind, but it shouldn't slow down progression at all. At least from my experience so far, there haven't been any kills that would have come any earlier if I sat for another healer. I wanted to play my monk for Garalon because I thought it would help us kill it quicker, but really when I look back at it, we wouldn't have killed it any quicker, because our wipes typically weren't healing related.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I see you're 10-man though it looks like? So you could make the argument either way: either that switching to a druid would impact you more or impact you less than in 25. Because on the one hand, the numbers are a lot closer on 10-man, but on the other hand you account for 1/2 or 1/3rd of the healers, instead of 1/5th or 1/6th.

I came from a 10-man and joined a 25-man about a month ago, and I felt better about my healing in 10-man even though my numbers are better in 25. I guess there's no way to find out for sure how it will affect you and your raid except by diving in and trying it. If you end up having wipes due to healing issues, you can always switch back until druids get some love. I think you'll be fine though.

Edit: And one last thing: this isn't meant as a jab (hurrrr) at you, just an observation. Looking at your logs, your numbers seem fairly low for a monk, so I don't think you should have any big issues switching to a druid. You should be able to do just as much if not more on a druid.

If you ever feel like talking about druid stuff feel free to hit me up, I think my battletag is Drimza#1639. First thing I would do with your druid is dump all that haste, the 6652 breakpoint isn't worth it right now. Your spirit also looks EXTREMELY low, not sure how you would be able to actually make it through fights with that little spirit right now.
Edited by Drimza on 12/4/2012 10:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I raided on my Resto Druid last night and it seemed nearly impossible to keep up with our Disc Priest and Holy Pally. I know a majority of that is because all their absorbs make me do a lot of overhealing but they were not only beating me in raw healing by a fairly large margin but also in overhealing. Maybe Skada is buggy or something or Resto Druids just need a throughput increase but I believe I was pulling better numbers on my Monk.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Well you're 3-healing fights that shouldn't really be 3-healed, so that's not really helping, since absorbs will snipe EVERYTHING. And you're most likely going to be behind them anyway because their numbers are just better than druids right now. It also looks like you're nourishing a LOT, which doesn't seem great. Nourish sucks right now, the only reason it used to get used was because by the time the cast finished, you would regen as much mana as it costs, if not more, so you could fill up your downtime by just spamming nourish without really any consequences. And it also helped to keep harmony up, since that was slightly more difficult with the 10 second duration. Right now, regen isn't high enough yet, so you're just spending a lot of mana to do not a lot of healing. Nourish costs about 75% of what rejuv costs (this is with 2pc though), and it does significantly less healing.
Edited by Drimza on 12/5/2012 1:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
If you raid with a pally or disc expect absolute hot relegation to OH and mediocre numbers in logs comparatively speaking.

They both have massive shields (Just the mastery of Pallies Illuminated Healing is absurdly OP) with long uptimes and pallys are worse since they can burst through all your slow hots including a hasted sotf WG with ease. Thats pallies with tier those without will be too busy with mana concerns to top you but once they gear watch out.

We heal best with other druids or shamans at least for efficient less sniped raiding.
Edited by Moophious on 12/5/2012 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Drimza
Well you're 3-healing fights that shouldn't really be 3-healed, so that's not really helping, since absorbs will snipe EVERYTHING. And you're most likely going to be behind them anyway because their numbers are just better than druids right now. It also looks like you're nourishing a LOT, which doesn't seem great. Nourish sucks right now, the only reason it used to get used was because by the time the cast finished, you would regen as much mana as it costs, if not more, so you could fill up your downtime by just spamming nourish without really any consequences. And it also helped to keep harmony up, since that was slightly more difficult with the 10 second duration. Right now, regen isn't high enough yet, so you're just spending a lot of mana to do not a lot of healing. Nourish costs about 75% of what rejuv costs (this is with 2pc though), and it does significantly less healing.

Yeah once Cataclysm ended they had me switch to Monk so I didn't have a lot of time to research the new Druid rotations and priorities. It does make sense about Rejuv vs Nourish though. I just checked WoL and it looks like Nourish is nowhere near people'e top healing; it's usually Rejuv > Tranq > Lifebloom.

I did notice as you said absorbs are sniping just about everything. The Paladin's top heal is ALWAYS Illuminated Healing and the Priest's is ALWAYS Divine Aegis. When we 2 healed Heroic Elegon I beat the Paladin by a fairly small margin but I was considerably more oom. Probably related to Nourishing though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]