Favorite And Least Favorite Tank

90 Undead Priest
Hello fellow healers.
As we are all aware, all tanks are supposed to be equally good if played correctly, however, I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had coincidental experiences with certain classes that might make you think other wise. I want to hear from you.

My favorite tank to heal in dungeons are Blood Death Knights and Guardian Druids, they seem easy and almost all tanks from those two specs I have been paired with require almost no healing whatsoever.

On the other hand, my least favorite tank, to a point that I cringe at the very sight of them in my Vuhdoo panel are Protection Paladins. I'm sure there are good pally tanks out there but they seem to avoid me. It's like they have zero dodge an parry and are to cheap to pop any cooldowns. They take so much damage I throw them everything and they die in an instant. Brewmaster Monks are similar but thankfully I have been paired up with really good ones every now and then.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Favorites: My tanks

Least favorites: Those other !@#$%^-s
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I'm partial to Blood Death Knights and Brewmaster Monks. Bears are pretty easy to heal also. For some reason I've found warriors and paladins to be a little more squishy.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
DK hands down favorite if he's good. I do enjoy a paladin tank skilled at using his utilities (lay on hands, bop, etc.) and who throws offheals correctly. Warriors are generally my least favorite because I feel like I can never leave them alone without worrying if they are going to get destroyed. I haven't had many good monks or druids whatsoever but a good monk > druid imo.

So I'd very tentively say dk > paladin > monk > druid > warrior for me. Monk and paladin could probably be swapped but the rest I'm certain on. I just don't see enough good brewmasters.
Reply Quote
42 Draenei Mage
Surprised at the paladin comment from the OP. Many of the paladin tanks I've run into are really good at keeping themselves up... and put out so much group healing with battle and selfless healer that I basically don't have anything to do during the dungeon. I'd have them near the top, with blood DKs.

Brewmasters I'd put toward the bottom... though with a caveat. Good Brewmasters are easy to heal and put out ridiculous damage... but they also happen to have a huge margin of play for them, so I'm always wary I'll get the 'doesn't know what purification and elusive brews are' Brewmaster rather than the 'seamlessly rotates all cooldowns to stay above 90% for hours even without heals' brewmasters.

Warriors and druids? Honestly I almost never run with these guys, so it's hard to say.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
Warrior>druid>dk>paladin>monk most monks have no clue what they are doing and spam breath of fire. I've even seen geared monks do this and wonder how did they level without knowing what their active mitigation is.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 04:09 AMPosted by Atatatatata
Warrior>druid>dk>paladin>monk most monks have no clue what they are doing and spam breath of fire. I've even seen geared monks do this and wonder how did they level without knowing what their active mitigation is.

Monk tank dont need to metigate damage after 90. My list goes:

DK>Monk>Druid>Paladin>Warrior, when the tank is good.

DK>Druid>Warrior>Paladin>Monk, when the tank is bad.

Edit: Godd tank>Bad Tank no matter the class.
Edited by Kronio on 12/5/2012 4:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I've never had problems with warriors. They don't WOW me like Blood DK but they keep us alive and I don't have to heal as much.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
What about those DKs that never keybind Death Strike?
*cuts wrists*

IMO: DK > Druid > Monk > Paladin > Warrior

If tanks use their mitigation skills everyone will be just fine.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
All of the ones that use cd's and active mitigation appropriately 8)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Unfortunately some of them just stand there and think their shields will take care of everything.
Reply Quote
88 Human Priest
The other day some prot warrior dared me to not heal him during Corrupted Taran Zhu.

10 minutes later he was still hacking away at the boss, even though the rest of the party had died.

He's still there, for all I know.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
1. Druids - Very solid mitigation and great dps. They are always the easiest to heal.

2. Warriors - Even average warriors are easy to heal, but good warriors are monsters.

3. Paladins - They're awesome when they use cool downs effectively, but even then they seem to take more damage than the top two tanks.

4. Death knights - While a few are AMAZING, most are soooooo squishy and don't manage cool downs effectively. When I see one in LFR, I cringe.

5. Monks - They're sooooo squishy. I just know I need to really step up my heals when I've got one in raid/group. They legitimately need to be buffed.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The other day some prot warrior dared me to not heal him during Corrupted Taran Zhu.

10 minutes later he was still hacking away at the boss, even though the rest of the party had died.

He's still there, for all I know.

This only means that the boss could not do enough damage to kill him through second wind. It doesn't mean much as far as tanks go since second wind isn't very useful in raids where healers will try to keep tanks up and the damage is high enough that you can die through SW. Most prot warriors don't take SW for pve raids.

I believe you should rate tanks at a high performance of play and not just rate them low because some bad DKs and monks don't play properly.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
DK>Pali>Warr>Bear=Monk

I suspect only because i havn't met a good monk tank and our bear tank rerolled warrior this expac.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
good tank > bad player

I will mention pallys coz I am offspec tank

Problem I feel, is that they are reading about stacking hit and exp then haste to improve their active mitigation.
I see them take a pounding and don't maximize their mitigation, through prioritizing abilities and just mash buttons.

I guess the same could be said about others.
When I see monks in Heroics, I put my sandwich down and focus not to lose the poor teddy bear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Monks atm mainly because the monks i run into tend to not use guard and black ox at all ever:S
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys
It's going to come down to which classes the healers have had very good personal experiences with more so than anything else.

IMO it comes down to the player's mastery of a tanking class. Take for example the above posts of DK. Some healers in this thread rank it as number 1. Then one poster above says they are "soooooo squishy" and cringes at the thought of having to heal one.

More so than anything else, it's going to come down to the healer's personal experiences than the relative strengths and weaknesses of the class.
Edited by Attackknight on 12/5/2012 11:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
ONE
I think a lot of the skews in favor of DKs and Warriors comes from their ability to absorb damage, which is now unique to them (unless Monks have some form of absorb, idk tbh).

Paladins lost their absorb mechanic in MoP, as did Druids, however with high Dodge druids will appear to take minimal damage, especially with high uptime of SD in 5mans.

Monks are just weird.

That said, Druids and Warriors seem to give me more scares in general, even with fairly decent players, and DKs seem to have the most "holy !@#$ how did you make it to 90" idiots in my experience.

I've healed squishies of every class in Heroics, and I've healed untouchable monstrosities of pure undeath of each class that make me run around with body and soul grabbing extra %^-* to give myself something to do. Even then, I still can't find anything to heal because the tank's that good -_-.
Edited by Moret on 12/5/2012 11:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Prefer warriors, hate monks. Particularly on will of the emperor. Feels like they're 2 consecutive melee swings from death the entire fight.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]