Favorite And Least Favorite Tank

90 Orc Death Knight
tys
I think a lot of the skews in favor of DKs and Warriors comes from their ability to absorb damage, which is now unique to them (unless Monks have some form of absorb, idk tbh).

Paladins lost their absorb mechanic in MoP, as did Druids, however with high Dodge druids will appear to take minimal damage, especially with high uptime of SD in 5mans.

Monks are just weird.

That said, Druids and Warriors seem to give me more scares in general, even with fairly decent players, and DKs seem to have the most "holy !@#$ how did you make it to 90" idiots in my experience.

I've healed squishies of every class in Heroics, and I've healed untouchable monstrosities of pure undeath of each class that make me run around with body and soul grabbing extra %^-* to give myself something to do. Even then, I still can't find anything to heal because the tank's that good -_-.

Monks aren't so much weird as they are ... different. And they are a new class so a higher proportion of people are not playing them well. It's like when you go into the Outland dungeons and get to see the new DK tanks, the majority do not play very well.

I think that the idea of active mitigation as a whole has not sunk into the tanking community yet. The ones that do well are the monstrosities that you speak of - very potent self healing and holds aggro very well so dps hardly take damage (except from special mechanics).

One very serious consequence is that for now, many tanks are having a hard time adjusting to it. It has left results skewed somewhat.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys
12/06/2012 12:49 AMPosted by Nathyria
Prefer warriors, hate monks. Particularly on will of the emperor. Feels like they're 2 consecutive melee swings from death the entire fight.

Yeah that boss does hit hard.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
My favorite tank is one that goes at a smooth swift pace, doesn't los me unreasonably, and doesn't outpace my mana bar.

My least favorite tank is one that is whiney and slow. I personally do not care if a pet is tanking as long as the run is going smoothly (@non-rage tanks at the very least) and would honestly prefer a good hunter pet-tanking than some of the tanks I get in randoms :/

If I must state classes I would say that all equal in skill and gear I think dks can be one of the strongest and monks probably the weakest (with a pretty big jump between the others and the monks...a monk that misses a cd feels like they're wearing paper gear) but they're all fine and dandy if the button-pusher knows what to do.

So for good players dk>=rest (very minor advantage imo for dk and not for all fights)
for bad players warrior=dk=bear>pally>>>>>>monk.
Edited by Feyanna on 12/6/2012 4:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Favorite: a good DK.

Least: a bad DK.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
It's going to come down to which classes the healers have had very good personal experiences with more so than anything else.

IMO it comes down to the player's mastery of a tanking class. Take for example the above posts of DK. Some healers in this thread rank it as number 1. Then one poster above says they are "soooooo squishy" and cringes at the thought of having to heal one.

More so than anything else, it's going to come down to the healer's personal experiences than the relative strengths and weaknesses of the class.

ya... that's what I said in the OP >_>
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I don't think there's much difference between good tanks, but christ bad monk tanks just fall over in seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Immortal abominations are my favorites. Wet paper bags are my least favorite.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Pally>dk>bear>warrior>brew
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
tys
12/06/2012 06:48 AMPosted by Tarski
I don't think there's much difference between good tanks, but christ bad monk tanks just fall over in seconds.

They're built right now around the model of active mitigation.

Unfortunately many monk players don't seem to view proper active mitigation (guard, purifying brew, elusive brew, and and shuffle) as a priority, preferring to spam Spinning Crane Kick through dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's Wrath all over again: the Monk indeed seems to be the new DK. There's nothing quite like phasing into BRS on an alt and suddenly remembering what a DK is and realizing that this is the first PuG of the rest of your life. I feel like DKs don't get good until about 75-80, when you start to get Blood DKs that aren't in Frost Presence and Frost DKs that don't grip. Running heroics with a Blood DK these days is generally my cue to go AFK and grab a snack.

Monks are the same way, either amazing or downright awful. I've always hated druids because shapeshifting is pretty lame, and I feel like guardian tanks all have weird complexes because of the squishy leather.

Pallys are boss, I'm not gonna knock on my own preferred class, but Blood DKs take the cake in my opinion. I don't feel one way or the other about warriors.

DK > Paladin > Warrior > Monk > Druid.

Druids bringing up the rear, of course, because really... shapeshifting. Come on. Leave the wild animals to the hunters.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The only one that really stands out is the monk tank for me. All the others seem pretty close together in terms of damage profile. I don't like healing monks, and there are a lot of them running around. I mean, it's not so bad that I won't quit after the first boss, but you have to watch them, take your eyes off of their HP bar and it seems to drop magically to 50% all on its own.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I love my co-GMs Blood DK tank. I actually had enough time in Dragon Soul at the end to get up, get a beer, pop the top and re headset myself on heroic DW before he got below 50%.

After that. Bears. I just get so entertained watching them tank....its so cute.

I get the feeling that pally's are squishier than they think. Very few pally tanks know their spec.

and in any class....can't stand the STAM STACKERS! Just cause you have Gods health bar, doesn't mean I want to heal you taking every hit ever.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

and in any class....can't stand the STAM STACKERS! Just cause you have Gods health bar, doesn't mean I want to heal you taking every hit ever.

This! I can't stand having to heal some squishy tank with 750K HP... bigger health pool doesn't make you better...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Favourite Tank: A good warrior

Least favorite tank: doesn't exist I love to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Bears.
Reply Quote
77 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 11:57 PMPosted by Moret
I think a lot of the skews in favor of DKs and Warriors comes from their ability to absorb damage, which is now unique to them (unless Monks have some form of absorb, idk tbh).

Monks get an absorb at lvl 26.

Paladins can choose to spec sacred shield at level 45

Druids dont get an absorb.
Reply Quote
Favorites: My tanks

Least favorites: Those other !@#$%^-s

What Skoot said.

I learn the habits of tanks that I habitually heal, and learning their habits makes it easier to anticipate what will happen.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/07/2012 08:48 PMPosted by Xinxou
Are your monks using Healing Sphere on themselfs? Ox statue, and they have 2 other solid mitigations as well. Problem with BM is they always have to keep moving the green bubbles go all over the place and you have to move a lot to keep absorbing them. Using roll to get some distance and heals also helps when your near death. Monks are quite versatile, My main has been a Warrior tank for a while now, I find him almost boring compared to my monk.

Of course Monks are not boring. They keep healers on their toes... and that's not really a good thing
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Basing preferences solely on class, I would say Blood DK as favorite, BM Monks as least favorite. BM Monks never seem to stop taking damage, meaning that at least some of the healer's attention must stay with the Monk at all times. That means it is that much trickier to save the hunter's/lock's pet that has most of the aggro anyway.

Did I mention that BM Monks can't hold aggro?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]