Disc Priests need tuning...

90 Pandaren Priest
...and by tuning, I mean they need the DA and Rapture buffs reverted. The output of a well-played Disc in its current incarnation is simply unmatched.

We're at a point now whereby a decently geared Disc Priest with adequate Rapture management does not go OOM. It's simply too strong and it is going to scale far too well.

Compounding this is the buff to DA - and it also poses another issue: we're now able to spam PoH with little regard to its initial healing. There is no balance when the DA from PoH is able to shield a group for at least 125k, even if the initial heal does 100% overhealing.

Lastly, I truly believe that SS needs to be toned down slightly. I can appreciate the high skill cap involved with it, but being able to shield the raid for up to 2.5mil every min is really powerful. There's a reason why we're starting to see a trend of top guilds stacking Disc Priests. A reduction to the SS buff on the Priest to 12s whilst increasing the uptime of the secondary SS buff to 18s would nerf it slightly, whilst still reward Disc Priests for timing it properly.

Not everyone has the luxury of raiding HMs and for those that don't, I simply don't think it's fair or fun for the other healers to be twiddling their thumbs whilst Disc just snipes all the heals. Certainly, Disc is a class based on absorbs and it's going to happen to some degree, but Blizz has honestly overtuned us. I'd rather they address it now in a reasonable manner, rather than having Disc end up as Monk 2.0.
90 Undead Warlock
I agree, especially since they fixed Disc's mechanical issues a bit (40 yd Atonement, AA+SS stacking).

If Rapture/DA aren't hotfixed soon, they'll absolutely scale out of control going into 5.2 (as if they weren't already).
90 Blood Elf Priest
We don't need them necessarily reverted. If they were, we'd need something to compensate us for how weak we would be. I think reverting the DA buff partially would be a better fix.

The rapture buff was needed for this tier, but probably won't be for tiers later this expac. It's more of a scaling thing.

I somewhat agree with you, however, reverting the fixes completely would leave us where we were before. incredibly weak.
90 Pandaren Priest
12/05/2012 06:44 AMPosted by Keirisonis
I somewhat agree with you, however, reverting the fixes completely would leave us where we were before. incredibly weak.

I disagree. Disc's were already strong with SS+AA before the DA/Rapture buffs. Keep in mind that this was also before the Monk nerfs, so that might have made Disc look slightly weaker in comparison.
90 Undead Warlock
Considering the Rapture breakpoint was already attainable this tier, I feel like at the very least its hotfix should be reverted.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Seconded as well.

I'm not going to agree that all of disc's mechanical issues are fixed.

I'd kind of like to see a nerf to poh spam (in all of its forms, da & spirit shell included), and perhaps a slight increase to healing done through atonement or our other single target direct heals to encourage evangelism/archangel cycling without as much loss to throughput while stacking it. Maybe a reduction in cooldown to holy fire and and increase in its damage, or make the DoT portion non-negligible.

And mana returns on rapture definitely need to be balanced. Maybe reduce the initial cost to 10-12k and nerf rapture to 75-100% of spirit. It would make pw:s a more efficient option without the mana return, but prevent it from being abused for large mana gains with temporary spirit buffs. Alternatively, they could do what they did with mana tide and just have rapture not factor in said temporary buffs.

Edit: I accidentally a verb.
Edited by Icecreamsoup on 12/5/2012 7:12 AM PST
90 Undead Warlock
Seconded as well.

I'm not going to agree that all of disc's mechanical issues are fixed.

I'd kind of like to see a nerf to poh spam (in all of its forms, da & spirit shell included), and perhaps a slight increase to healing done through atonement or our other single target direct heals to encourage evangelism/archangel cycling without as much loss to throughput while stacking it. Maybe a reduction in cooldown to holy fire and and increase in its damage, or make the DoT portion non-negligible.

Edit: I accidentally a verb.

They could perhaps reduce 5-stack Evangelism's bonus damage (wasn't it 10% in cata?) and move that to unbuffed Smite/HF/Penance.
100 Draenei Priest
The buffs this tier were all about scaling. It was easy to see that long term pre-buff that Disc was going to scale very well with gear going into Heroic T14 and later on to tier 15 and 16. But many people didn't want to wait that long, thus the buff. I fully expect to get nerfed in 4.2 which is fine cause it won't really effect me.

12/05/2012 06:31 AMPosted by Ceddya
The output of a well-played Disc in its current incarnation is simply unmatched.

I have one issue with this quote. A well played healer of any class will be unmatched in most situations. The thing is that most players out there aren't exactly "well played".
90 Undead Warlock

I have one issue with this quote. A well played healer of any class will be unmatched in most situations. The thing is that most players out there aren't exactly "well played".

I think his point is that, given equal skill and gear, Disc will likely outperform other healers.

but lol semantics
90 Blood Elf Priest
Disc has the odd property of making other healers look like they're doing worse than they are, since they're best at making sure damage was never taken in the first place. I expect to see some nerfs to SS/DA at some point, because even I can have a good showing on the meters in Disc and I'm *bad* at healing (partially due to being extremely new at raid healing) just by reading up on when to time Spirit Shell.

Granted, I've done very little raiding this expansion thus far.
90 Blood Elf Priest
A DA nerf would be justified.

Rapture is fine, just unlink it from MTT for god's sake.
90 Blood Elf Priest

Agreed entirely on this. MTT is a HUGE problem for Disc versus other healers, being able to get two 50k+ Raptures every 3 mins can really yield some insane output. It's hard to get a good idea of actual longevity with a Shaman around.

DA should be reverted to 30%. 50% is too high.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Don't forget that part of the reason why our mana is scaling ridiculously is because the Rapture Bug is back.
90 Gnome Priest

Even still, Rapture basically doubles the value of Spirit for us compared to other healers. It'll eventually end up like late Cata where I reforged everything out of Spirit and still had enough regen to get by.

Rapture probably just needs to restore a flat amount in the scheme of things.
90 Undead Warlock

Even still, Rapture basically doubles the value of Spirit for us compared to other healers. It'll eventually end up like late Cata where I reforged everything out of Spirit and still had enough regen to get by.

Rapture probably just needs to restore a flat amount in the scheme of things.

Or just make your next PW:S free with an ICD of 12 seconds.
90 Human Priest
I remember a lot of other players sayn it was a L2H issue with disc before the buffs and that everything was fine so let's stick with that logic. Disc priests just know their class now...everything is fine.
Edited by Gandhisfist on 12/5/2012 11:12 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/05/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Tiriél
Don't forget that part of the reason why our mana is scaling ridiculously is because the Rapture Bug is back.

Pretty sure it's gone again.
90 Blood Elf Priest
The problem is Spirit Shield. Being able to on average, blanket the raid with a 100k+ shield every minute is too much - no healer can compete with that. Raise the cooldown to 2 or 3 minutes.

Everything else is fine except for how Rapture works with Mana Tide.
90 Pandaren Priest
The problem is Spirit Shield. Being able to on average, blanket the raid with a 100k+ shield every minute is too much - no healer can compete with that. Raise the cooldown to 2 or 3 minutes.

Everything else is fine except for how Rapture works with Mana Tide.

I strongly disagree. Spirit Shell requires rather precise timing to get good numbers out of and I'm a firm believer that good Disc's should be rewarded if they're able to utilize it well. A slight nerf to the duration of each SS should be all that's needed.
I say revert the DA buff, or at least tone it down to 40%. Spirit shell is a bit powerful, but its arguably one of (if not the) hardest healing cooldown to use properly. I could see *maybe* making its cooldown 75 seconds instead of 60 though... I wouldn't like it though :p

Also, I *feel* 170-180% spirit, not counting outside buffs (maybe counting trinkets), and not multi-popping, would bring disc's mana back in line with everyone else.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]