RP characters vs. fan fiction protagonists

94 Night Elf Hunter
I find it interesting that people seem to disparage the "main character" role, but without it their "secondary characters" have no real meaning.

I think it's vastly more difficult to be the MC because it takes a lot more effort and you have to entertain others more than yourself. It's the big D to the little s.

But is there even a "main" or "secondary" character in roleplay? If we go on the idea that RP is simply us acting out the world Blizzard has presented us with as if we were actual people in that world... then it's no different than asking about who the "main character" of real life is... which would be silly.
Edited by Kalaryia on 12/5/2012 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
I find it interesting that people seem to disparage the "main character" role, but without it their "secondary characters" have no real meaning.

I think it's vastly more difficult to be the MC because it takes a lot more effort and you have to entertain others more than yourself. It's the big D to the little s.

But is there even a "main" or "secondary" character in roleplay? If we go on the idea that RP is simply us acting out the world Blizzard has presented us with as if we were actual people in that world... then it's no different than asking about who the "main character" of real life is... which would be silly.

It's all perspective. People take the spotlight IRL all the time- I mean, when was the last someone in your circle of friends went through a tough time, like having a family member pass or having a breakup or something? For awhile, they become the centre of attention. It works the same way in RP.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
12/05/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Baenhoof
People take the spotlight IRL all the time

You know me too well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/05/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Baenhoof
I'm not sure I have much to contribute to the discussion, but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any tips or resources on how to make people care about their stories.

Make your characters real and make the story interesting enough that the reader would rather think about what you are writing than what is going on in his/her own life. Writing needs to be worth living in.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I'd say a character can be one or the other, even both depending on the circumstances.

That's why organic RP is the best RP.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
12/05/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Pylsur
In both RP and fic writing, characters need to seem natural, real and life-like (unless they are none of those things). They should speak like people might speak and react like people might react. For me, this is the heart of verisimilitude --maintaining the realness of interactions.

I'd say a character can be one or the other, even both depending on the circumstances.

That's why organic RP is the best RP.

I like these sentiments very much and they are definitely what I strive for in RP. We are basically engaging in social storytelling and as so, I think characters react to each other somewhat like those social network 'web diagrams'. Someone who may be a 'main character' in the RP of many players may only be a minor character in the story unfolding around my character's experiences. And likewise, a character who is minor to all other RPers may be a major character in my own character's narrative. It's a neat concept to investigate, I think. I especially appreciate the putting forth of 'proactive' vs 'reactive' writing.

Some days I wonder: will students 100 years from now study RP writing? I think it takes the literary medium in an entirely new and fascinating direction.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Some days I wonder: will students 100 years from now study RP writing? I think it takes the literary medium in an entirely new and fascinating direction.

It is worth studying because you can get information from it, but it is not an art form. If we had recordings of children playing cops and robbers it would be worth studying in the same way.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

It is worth studying because you can get information from it, but it is not an art form. If we had recordings of children playing cops and robbers it would be worth studying in the same way.

I have hope... I mean, 50 Shades did start out as fanfic, to give the obvious, beaten-to-death example. As well, western lit as we know it found its origins with people with objectives no more auspicious than simply entertaining themselves and their family. UBC is actually offering a course on MMO storytelling or something to that general subject this year. And I'm putting soup on shelves for a living, kicking myself for not enrolling.
Reply Quote
88 Human Warrior
Yeah I certainly don't think my characters will never be in a lead part, I'm just not usually much of a story-driver as a character or as a player. Someone has to drive though. I'm just a cat. Try to find pictures of cats driving -- never find one, ever.
Edited by Lito on 12/6/2012 12:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Bump for interesting discussion. And a response to a post I missed.

12/05/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Baenhoof
I'm not sure I have much to contribute to the discussion, but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any tips or resources on how to make people care about their stories.

I don't know who else I speak for but I care most about relate-able characters. If I can empathize with the character, what they do is more real to me and I can 'experience' what they're going through. They just matter more to me when they evoke within me an emotion, whether it mirrors an aspect of myself that I associate (joy, sadness, silliness, excitement, determination, embarassment) with or try to dissociate with (jealousy, prejudice, disdain, greed).
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I forgot about this thread until now.

To clarify, I don't have things against main characters and extraordinary circumstances. It's mostly about how, in "fanfiction"-mode people are treating their co-players as if they are NPC's that have to be controlled 100% without any wiggle room. "I do that, you do that, that happens, if you don't like it to the finest detail, out of my rp now"
"RP" characters can still be the main event, but their player realizes that the story is still progressing with the help of other real players, gives them wiggle room, and lets them feel appreciated for joining the RP, even as secondary/smaller characters.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I forgot about this thread until now.

To clarify, I don't have things against main characters and extraordinary circumstances. It's mostly about how, in "fanfiction"-mode people are treating their co-players as if they are NPC's that have to be controlled 100% without any wiggle room. "I do that, you do that, that happens, if you don't like it to the finest detail, out of my rp now"
"RP" characters can still be the main event, but their player realizes that the story is still progressing with the help of other real players, gives them wiggle room, and lets them feel appreciated for joining the RP, even as secondary/smaller characters.

Yeh. You really have to appreciate the co-operative element of RP. I find myself quite fond of the randomness and how it affects my character's development.

I do tend to write under the assumption that I -have- to have an elaborate, detailed backstory that has profoundly affected the nature of my character and sometimes I feel as though in addition to what my character experiences in RP it just becomes a huge, over-complicated pile-up. I think that the next time I want to challenge myself I will write a character with a nondescript history--, no harrowing events, life-changing circumstances or trials by fire, and develop them primarily through RP rather than my own isolated fiction.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]