Limit on howling blast damage?

90 Draenei Death Knight
On wind lord this week all of my aoe abilities are doing about the same damage to the boss and 2 sets of adds, but is about halfed for the 3rd set.

I believe the last pull was something like 31%, 29%,28% for first 3 and 11% for last set.(damage done)
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Howling blast does more damage to the single target then the aoe does. You maybe feeling that certain buffs are on down time (trinkets/fallen crusader) as that can greatly impact your current damage. Also if you have rune of razor ice you'll obviously be doing more damage who ever has that on them.

This is just a theory from what you have given me to see and not actually having done the fight on normal mode :/ my guild is very inconsistent.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
anyone knows that most aoe's suffer from a target cap.

Going above this target cap reduces its damage.
the main aoes that aren't affected much by this cap are primarily ones that do most their damage in dots.
Edited by Aldmos on 12/5/2012 10:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
AoE dmg cap is 10 targets. You shouldn't be hitting it on Wind Lord.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Well here's the thing. I can't explain it very well, but here I go.

You've got three sets of three adds. We've got set 1 with adds 1a, 1b, 1c, set 2 with adds 2a, 2b, 2c, and set 3 is similar. The adds in set 1 share a health pool, the adds in set 2 share a health pool, and the adds in set 3 share a health pool.

You can CC four targets. Usually they choose to CC one of each add but two of another. For the sake of argument, let's just say that they CCed 1a, 2a, 3a, and 3b.

Now if you Howling Blast the boss, you'll get the AoE damage done to adds 1b, 1c, 2b, 2c, and 3c. However, since the sets 1, 2, and 3 have shared health pools, this effectively means that your AoE damages the overall health pool for set 1 twice because of two adds, set 2 twice because of two adds, and set 3 once because there's only one add.

As such, you have half of the damage going out on one group compared to the others.

Wow that was convoluted.
Edited by Serrias on 12/5/2012 10:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Well here's the thing. I can't explain it very well, but here I go.

You've got three sets of three adds. We've got set 1 with adds 1a, 1b, 1c, set 2 with adds 2a, 2b, 2c, and set 3 is similar. The adds in set 1 share a health pool, the adds in set 2 share a health pool, and the adds in set 3 share a health pool.

You can CC four targets. Usually they choose to CC one of each add but two of another. For the sake of argument, let's just say that they CCed 1a, 2a, 3a, and 3b.

Now if you Howling Blast the boss, you'll get the AoE damage done to adds 1b, 1c, 2b, 2c, and 3c. However, since the sets 1, 2, and 3 have shared health pools, this effectively means that your AoE damages the overall health pool for set 1 twice because of two adds, set 2 twice because of two adds, and set 3 once because there's only one add.

As such, you have half of the damage going out on one group compared to the others.

Wow that was convoluted.

ah right, i didn't understand the OPs question but yeah this is pretty much correct.

They have shared health pools so hitting more of the same type of add = hitting it multiple times.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]