Lack of a video card killing my DPS?

12 Undead Priest
My wife went and bought an all in one computer.... She thought it would be awesome for WoW as the box had a screenshot with WoW on it..... Sadly, the computer does not have a video card, but a chip.

The best I can get on this computer is 50 FPS. More likely I am in the 40 - 42 FPS range. The game shows no lag....

Yet since I started using this computer - our old one was 5 years old but had an awesome video card when it was new - it seems like my DPS is way down. I am guessing that this could be a result of no video card? I don't use recount or any DPS meter, but it just seems like a lot less DPS..... does that make sense?
Reply Quote
I play on a pretty suboptimal box that usually only nets me about the same - I still play pretty close to my sims on patchwerk style fights like Garaj, if not over them.

That sounds, more or less, fine but different people perceive these things differently. Some people claim to find things noticeably laggy below 100fps, though I personally can't tell the difference.

Your frame rate can affect your play.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Would help if we knew more about the PC your talking about. Sadly if the PC is slow you have no choice but to get another one.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
In theory, the choppier the game is, the worst you'll do by possibly leaving gaps in between GCDs

On the other hand, wow was built so that you can do well under laggy situations, so you should be fine. Could try getting skada and looking for yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I used to play the game below 10 FPS and didn't have much issues at keeping up with other DPS.

You should probably check some logs to see how your DPS is first. It could be you're just perceiving things incorrectly, or if you got a new keyboard maybe you're not quite used to it.

You could probably buy a new video card if you're feeling things are too slow. I used to build prebuilt computers and they usually had room for a video card, we just didn't put one in.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The thing you should worry more about low framerates is dying to stuff you don't see in time to move. That will impact your DPS more then missing a couple fractions of a sec on GCD.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
12/05/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Sillypriest
I don't use recount or any DPS meter, but it just seems like a lot less DPS..... does that make sense?

No. Cause you have no idea how much damage you were doing before, and you have no idea how much damage you're doing now.

There have been plenty of times where I just felt like I was doing great in a fight and it turns out when I look at the meters I did horrible, and vice versa. "Feeling" how much dps you're doing isn't going to tell you how much you're actually doing.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
12/05/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Sillypriest
I don't use recount or any DPS meter, but it just seems like a lot less DPS..... does that make sense?

So...in all actuality, you have no idea how much damage you're doing. Get a DPS meter, lord knows what you we're doing without one before.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
12/05/2012 09:50 PMPosted by Judgebringer
Would help if we knew more about the PC your talking about. Sadly if the PC is slow you have no choice but to get another one.

If low FPS was an issue it might be as simple as popping a video card in.

40-50 FPS isn't bad though, shouldn't be effecting your ability to do things.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Your frame rate is fine for playing the game and should have no impact whatsoever.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Getting 40 fps is not bad at all...
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
My wife went and bought an all in one computer.... She thought it would be awesome for WoW as the box had a screenshot with WoW on it..... Sadly, the computer does not have a video card, but a chip.

The best I can get on this computer is 50 FPS. More likely I am in the 40 - 42 FPS range. The game shows no lag....

Yet since I started using this computer - our old one was 5 years old but had an awesome video card when it was new - it seems like my DPS is way down. I am guessing that this could be a result of no video card? I don't use recount or any DPS meter, but it just seems like a lot less DPS..... does that make sense?

40 to 50 fps is pretty darn good for most people. You wont not see a performance drop till you were down in the 10 to 15 fps range.

The real question here is why have you not taken that awesome vid card you claim your old system had and put it into the new one? I still have a old gtx8800 ultra kicking around in one of the systems in our house 5 years the vid card slots are still pretty much the same on the MB's. pcie is still that standard (gotten faster but the slot is still the same). Even if your old card was a pci most mb's still have a few pci slots on them.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
its not the frame rates.... I play on Ultra with DX11 and get "only" 50 Frames per second.

12/06/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Okamie
The real question here is why have you not taken that awesome vid card you claim your old system had and put it into the new one? I still have a old gtx8800 ultra kicking around in one of the systems in our house 5 years the vid card slots are still pretty much the same on the MB's. pcie is still that standard (gotten faster but the slot is still the same). Even if your old card was a pci most mb's still have a few pci slots on them.

On many of the "all in one" computers they do not have the option to do this.
Edited by Beatusnox on 12/6/2012 8:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
12/06/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Okamie
40 to 50 fps is pretty darn good for most people. You wont not see a performance drop till you were down in the 10 to 15 fps range.

This is very true. Back in WotLK i was pulling 5-8fps and was pulling 1-2 fps in dalaran. Your FPS at 40-50 is fine. In regards to your question though, yes fps can affect your dps. My fps skyrocketed when I got a better video card in WotLK (which got up to 25-30fps).
Reply Quote
12 Undead Priest

Because there is no way to put a video card in this... this is a PC that is like those iMacs. I brought it to a PC place, and they said it can't happen.

BTW, to other posters.... I used to use a DPS meter so I know what I was doing. I don't have one now, but it sure feels like less DPS.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
12/05/2012 09:48 PMPosted by Xanedan
Some people claim to find things noticeably laggy below 100fps, though I personally can't tell the difference.

This is probably due to a placebo effect than anything else. If you showed them one clip running at 60 FPS and another at 100, they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
BTW, to other posters.... I used to use a DPS meter so I know what I was doing. I don't have one now, but it sure feels like less DPS.

/facepalm
Edited by Vreivai on 12/6/2012 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Despite what people are saying, the answer is yes. Your dps is being affected by bad videocard. I'll tell you a story.

The other week my buddy on his enh shaman had deleted his wtf folder and it ended up putting all the settings back to default so his graphics were on ultra. He was like, "Oh it looks a bit better, so I'll keep them like this." We went to raid and his normal ~65k dps had dropped to the high 50s, averaging about 57k dps. He couldn't understand why his dps was lower and then he remembered that a long time ago he put the graphic settings on fair with high particle density (so he could see spell effects to allow him to dodge things) and with the smoother running game, his dps went up. So he put the graphic settings to how he had them before and his dps went back up to his normal amount. He basically went from ~50 fps during raid boss fights to ~120 fps.

Once he remembered and tested out how the low graphic settings had increased his dps, we told all the dps in our group to do the same. All but one person (she already had game on low settings) saw an increase in their dps by at least 10% (going from 50 to 55k dps or 60 to 66k dps, etc).

So yes, your computer performance can easily affect your dps. If you can't afford a new video card or can't put one in, be sure to lower your graphic settings. Hell, even if you have a good computer, try it out anyway and see if it increases your dps. And to be honest, the change in how the game looks when you go from ultra to fair isn't even that much different, unless of course you play super zoomed in to see all the individual chains on chain armor or whatever. But if you are raiding, chances are you are playing zoomed out anyway, so you really won't notice much a difference.
Edited by Bayne on 12/7/2012 6:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
Yes, insufficient resources will muddle your dps.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
God help you with your awful 40 FPS.

Anyway, how do you know your DPS has dropped if you have nothing to base that on? You didn't have a DPS meter to see what you were doing before and thus have nothing to compare your dps on the new computer to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]