Need advice on Computer upgrade

90 Human Death Knight
Well, as the title said, i'm looking to some more computer savvy people to figure out what i should upgrade next, and to point me in the right direction

MODEL Name: iBUYPOWER Gamer Supreme A979SLCK CrossFire Gaming Desktop
CASE: AZZA Solaris Mid Tower Gaming Case - Black
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Processor, 4x 3.4 GHz; Socket 1155, 8MB L3 Cache
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB - CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards)
Main Memory: 16GB (4GB x4) DDR3-1333 Memory
Hard Drive: 2TB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
Software: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)
Power Supply: 800Watt Standard Power Supply
Card Reader: 12-in-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer
CPU Cooling: Standard 120mm Liquid CPU Cooling System

and if i left out something heres the link to the http://www.amazon.com/iBuyPower-Gamer-Supreme-AM979SLC-Desktop/dp/B006O5ZJHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354773431&sr=8-1&keywords=iBuyPower+Gamer+Supreme+AM979SLC+Desktop#productDetails
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Well, first off, ask yourself what are you unhappy with, what results do you want to get?

CPU-wise, you've not got anywhere worthwhile to go. Ivy Bridge offers little gain and some loss.

Graphics Card, you could certainly switch that out, if you want. The 6850 is pretty perky, but some people don't like Xfire, and you could get ahead by switching to something else.

If you want just a general boost to performance, that'd be an SSD.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
well first off, honestly the main thing i'm unhappy with is the graphics cards stopped sending signal to the monitor, and i had to ship them off to have them repaired, so that is the first issue, the second issue is the fact i feel like i should have a higher fps, but it seems to be pulling 35 fps on average on max settings, so i guess that is the other thing i am unhappy with. I seem hesitant because i am unsure what graphics cards are compatible and what i need to look for.
Edited by Latrozz on 12/5/2012 10:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You should never max shadows, nor multi-sampling on WoW. If you did, undoing those two alone will provide you a good bit more of FPS.

Also try usual:

Disable all addons
Move WTF folder out of WoW folder
Go to WoW folder
Delete Cache folder inside (not one inside Data folder)
Run WoW
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
6850 will still max WoW. The game is just very...unhappy with higher-end hardware and giving a steady 60FPS. SSDs are a worthwhile upgrade but I'd do what Kalganized said and tweak your settings a little until you find out what's causing the issue -- almost all of the time, Shadows and 8x AA will do that.
Edited by Liposuction on 12/6/2012 12:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I can definitely tweak the settings, but what does the 8x AA do in correspondence to performance? And i'm interested in either a radeon 7950, or a 7970, any helpful hints or recommendations?
Edited by Latrozz on 12/6/2012 7:27 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]