Is MoP Worth playing?

43 Gnome Rogue
I started playing WoW right around the time BC came out. I loved playing WoW because of the challenge, different gear choices, talent choices and all around good times with guildies. I stopped playing not to long after Cata happened. I did not like Cata at all, as Cata alone is the reason I quite playing WoW after years of game play.

I know that I can try it for free for 10 days and I probably will. However, I would like to know some things before I attempt this.

Is the story at least decent?

Are there still rude players all over the place? (I know all games have these people, but WoW during Cata was just horrible.)

Are guilds still just level factories and no longer friendship factories?

Is it true that talents, gears and game play have been dumbed down?

Are monks really just like Druids? (heard from another player I know.)

Is leveling too quick, too much grinding and/or less challenging?

Is gear chosen for me instead of my choice?

Is farming still fun? (I love farming for everything.)

Is the economy better than it was in Cata?

Are abilities so cookie cutter now that there is no room for personal preference?

Is game play for both PvP and PvE more even now or are they still at odds with each other?

Detailed answers are fine, as are short answers. Thanks you in advance!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
1. I've always found the story pretty interesting in wow, so I'm not sure what your complaints would be.

2. This is completely about who you play with. There are rude players in all games, and I've played with people I like for all the years I've been playing wow. An expansion isn't going to change what type of people play the game

3. This is and always will be guild dependent. I've been in friendly guilds for years. Again I don't see how an expansion would change how an individual guild runs things.

4. Definitely not. Talents aren't dumbed down, they just give you choices now. This argument was very much pre-mop, but in looking at the system in any intellectual way you can tell it's more interesting then it ever was. I have no idea what you mean by gear being dumbed down. Gameplay has changed for many classes but that doesn't mean it's been dumbed down, it's honestly taken a lot of the quality of life issues out of certain class design.

5. Monks have a very unique playstyle in all 3 of their specs. I wouldn't say it feels like any other class.

6. Leveling is pretty much the same as it was in cataclysm except for the 80-85 not needing as much XP. 85-90 isn't so bad, but not super fast either. Not sure what you mean by grinding or challenging, those 2 things have never been a big part of wow leveling.

7. If you find farming fun then nothing will change for you. I find it to be monotonous and boring, but of course that's just personal opinion.

8. Economy is always server driven.

9. I'd say when there were cookie cutter builds and glyphs in cata that gave no room for personal preference. Now we can actually choose what talents and glyphs to use.

10. When it comes to gearing PVP and PVE items have made room to be used in both, allowing players to not feel too gimped into sticking to one thing. I'm not sure what else you mean by PVP and PVE not being even.

Finally I will say that you are asking players who actively subscribe to the game. The answers you will get will be that we enjoy the game and find that it's worth the money. If you expect more diverse opinions you will need to look elsewhere. Otherwise feel free to ask us about the game.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
12/06/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Tinkans

I found it simply "okay"

Are there still rude players all over the place? (I know all games have these people, but WoW during Cata was just horrible.)

I don't notice rude people, but I'm sure others do. Highly dependent on your server.

Depends on the guild. Some are level factories, some have highly social groups. You can't really lump all guilds into one category.

Dependent on perspective. Some feel the new talent system is just dumbed down. Others feel that the ability to easily swap them as the situation dictates, combined with more freedom in what's good vs bad makes them require more knowledge.

Nope

Again, depends on perspective. Some feel leveling goes by too fast, others still wish it went by faster.

You can only select quest rewards appropriate to your current spec, and LFR now does a roll for each individual player that determines whether or not they get loot, rather then everyone rolling on the same loot.

Again, highly dependent on personal preference. If you love farming, then you'll probably find it fun. Some people don't.

Depends on your server

Are abilities so cookie cutter now that there is no room for personal preference?

Are you referring to talents or actual abilities? Although each spec has talents considered optimal, you can generally use what you want. As far as abilities go, each spec still has what is considered the optimal rotation, and improvising your own will often lead to you being less effective.

Is game play for both PvP and PvE more even now or are they still at odds with each other?

As always the focus is still on PvE, but the latest patch did add a world PvP area,
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
i personally like the story its getting back to the horde vs alliance roots instead of various tree huggers vs a giant black dragon of death with severe heartburn

not necessarily dumbed down but the talents from cata and before have been made into passive skills you get at certain levels instead of the majority just picking the same cookie cutter talents, every class has a new set of tier talents every 15 levels that are available to every spec and some vary by your spec so there's a lot more options

my main is a druid and ive leveled a monk to 78 and the only way they're similiar is the fact they both wear leather, resto monks are pretty much a moshpit of every other healing class as well as a few other tweaks here and there but they do physical damage for small healing and their main heal is a channeled HoT, personally i dont like healing them,tanking beside them,having them heal me, they arent that great compared to the other healing/tanking specs and the dps spec is so overpowered you dont need to be good at it to play it and have high dps

yes leveling has gotten much easier with heirloom pants being added (10% exp bonus) and classes just generally hitting and healing harder than back in cata,some classes doing more than others until 90 when it balances out, once you get to the 85-90 bracket it'll probably take you a few weeks to hit 90 theres a lot of quests a very large continent and no flying until your 90

you still choose your gear but the quests in pandaria will give you gear based on the specs your character has chosen, for example when leveling my druid i was bear/resto so i got to choose between agility/intellect leather but if i was bear/feral i would only be able to choose between agility pieces (druids feral spec got split into feral/guardian in mop), but once you hit 90 you're free to do whatever you want

lol ive never enjoyed farming myself so cant help there but in mop you can now farm and harvest your own crops in halfhill(small village in 86 area) for money or to level your cooking skill

there's lots of room for preference with the new talent system a lot of the skills are so good you'll want to put them in your main rotation and that was the point of it

pvp is pretty unblanced right now since everyone has been given a 40% damage reduction against players which stacks with pvp gear so it'll be very hard to just go into a battleground and expect to kill someone, but in good news we can queue for wintergrasp and tol barad now?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter

The story is great in Pandaria, in my opinion. What "decent" is to you will depend on your personal preferences.

Plenty of rude people, plenty of nice people, just like anywhere else on the internet.

Depends on the guild. There's always going to be those giant "social" guilds that just take whoever for perks and stuff. Good leaders who make a guild right can make a very friendly place. You just have to look for the right guild, not expect them to show up when you arrive in-game. ;)

I hardly think so. Things have been streamlined, but as far as gameplay goes I didn't notice much of a difference between this expansion and last expansion. If anything it's improved greatly. That's just my opinion though. Again, your personal opinion may differ.

They have similar gearing requirements and can play similar roles in a group, but their gameplay is not the same.

Leveling can be very quick, which is a plus for some but not for others. The quests from 1-60 were made easier in Cataclysm (in my opinion, maybe a bit too easy). Pandaria quests seem to be "just right" in terms of difficulty from what I've seen so far.

There hasn't been much in the way of grinding since Cataclysm came out.

In Pandaria, you are given a piece of gear from a quest that is appropriate for your current spec and class, instead of being given a list of choices for which most or all of them are not even for your class. So everyone will get an appropriate helmet from a particular quest. The paladin will get a plate helmet, while a rogue will get a leather helmet. And so on.

For classes in which they have multiple specs that use different stats, you can switch into the preferred spec you want the reward on before you turn the quest in, and get that reward instead. There are also gear vendors throughout the questing zones where you can buy alternate spec gear to help gear up your second spec.

This only applies to Pandaria quests; everything prior to that is the same as it was before.

About as fun as it's always been, I guess...? (I find farming tolerable on some classes and unbearable on others, but again--personal preference. xD)

Not sure what you mean by better. Are things worth more? Cheaper? You'd have to elaborate. This also varies by server.

I'd say there's more room for individual preference with the talents then there's ever been. Before, players had to go use the cookie cutter spec that theorycrafters came up with as "the best" specs or they would not be performing at their best. Now all those boring talents that you "had" to take are integrated into your abilities as you level, and you get to choose from talents. Choosing one talent over another only changes your playstyle, instead of seriously impacting your DPS.

Contrary to what a lot of people say, it only LOOKS like you have less choice. Trust me, there wasn't much choice with the old talent systems; either you chose the same talents as everyone else or you were purposefully "gimping" yourself. I like this better, but that's just me. :)

I rarely touch PvP, so I can't really answer this. I'll say that there's always going to be a struggle to balance the classes for both PvP and PvE at the same time, but they're always working on it.

Hope that helps to some extent. Really, the best way to know for sure is to try it yourself. What one player finds fun, another player might hate. A game can't always entertain everyone in the same way at the same time. As the game evolves, some people will still love it, others will move on to something different. But that's why it's a game--it should be fun, and if it's not, you find something that is fun.

Hopefully you find something fun about WoW again. :)
Reply Quote
43 Gnome Rogue
Thank you for your honest answers. It seems fair, imo, to ask players that are still playing and to ask players that have played it but are no longer playing it. Mostly what I have heard or read until today has been neg, due to the players either being MoP quitters or not even playing the game to begin with. I am much happier seeing a more positive perspective.

I am going to continue reading responses and listening to what others have to say. I think around the beginning of next month, when I am way less busy, I am going to try out the trial. The reason I wont right now is due to not having time in case I really like MoP.
Edited by Tinkans on 12/6/2012 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
12/06/2012 11:13 AMPosted by Tinkans
Thank you for your honest answers. It seems fair, imo, to ask players that are still playing and to ask players that have played it but are no longer playing it.

I agree, but very few people who don't play the game post here, since we answer new player questions we need to be informed about the current state of the game. Just making sure you understand you're getting slightly biased opinions.
Edited by Monmonn on 12/6/2012 11:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
43 Gnome Rogue
I have Facebook friends and RL friends that play / played. That is where I get most of the non-WoW-forum opinions.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I started playing WoW right around the time BC came out. I loved playing WoW because of the challenge, different gear choices, talent choices and all around good times with guildies. I stopped playing not to long after Cata happened. I did not like Cata at all, as Cata alone is the reason I quite playing WoW after years of game play.

I know that I can try it for free for 10 days and I probably will. However, I would like to know some things before I attempt this.

I don't have anything else to add to what Cerylia and Monmonn said on other topics...so I'll just stick with the story.

I personally think the story is 'good, but not great'. It does not yet feel as epic to me as the WotLK story did. The Lich King and Yogg-Saron felt like threats to the entire planet. The villains in Pandaria are fine, but they don't quite yet reach that level. Yes, they're a threat to the inhabitants of Pandaria. But I don't feel like the Mogu will then sweep over the rest of the world like the Scourge would.

However, I will say that overall the storytelling is much better than in Catalcysm. That may seem contradictory - since Deathwing was setup to be a major threat - but I feel like Catalcysm story-telling wasn't very coherent. The zones each had a story, but they didn't hook together very well, at least not in my opinion. And some things that should have just been silly diversions took over the whole zone and distracted from the story (*coughharrisonjonescough*).

MoP may not have that epic singular villain (which is by design) I at least understand what I'm doing in each zone, and the main storylines in the zone seem to make sense as part of a larger, more elaborate story. And the lack of a singular villain also adds some suspense. In Catalcysm everybody knew that the 2nd tier of raid content would focus on Ragnaros, and the final tier on Deathwing. From the start, you could see where the stories were going. I have no idea who we're going to to have to kill in the next MoP patch - which leaves me guessing about where the story is going next.
Reply Quote
43 Gnome Rogue
That sounds kinda cool, actually. I loved WoTLK's story, but Cata was way to predictable, as you said. I like the thought of have suspense and not knowing what is coming next.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Yeah, most of MoP's storyline focuses on the war between the factions, so the indigenous enemies of Pandaria aren't actually the real threat. The conflict stems from Garrosh becoming more of a loose cannon, Jaina going bat!@#$ crazy, and (apparently) Varian's leadership strengthening, and the story's being told during the course of the expansion, rather than plopping it all out at the beginning and sending us out to save the world from a specific antagonist for a few patches.
Edited by Drewb on 12/6/2012 11:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I'm not going to go point by point, 'cause that's a lot of points, and I don't really have a useful opinion on some of them.

I love MoP's story. I only started playing during Cata, and to me, Cata's story was fragmented and aimless. All these references to things I didn't know anything about, and as linear as the questing was (too linear, sometimes), it just didn't make me care. I don't think the story/characters/writing were strong enough to stand on their own; I suspect, even if I were a fan to begin with, I would have found the fan service pretty weak. With MoP, I feel a lot more engaged. I didn't have to force myself to read the quest text nearly as much; I read it 'cause I actually wanted to.

I don't think leveling 85-90 is particularly difficult if you know what you're doing. But some of the ridiculous ease has been removed just by taking away flight in Pandaria until you hit 90. It's not as if mobs themselves are any harder or anything, but you do have to stay a little more engaged as you play because you can't just fly from the quest giver to the bears, collect your asses, and fly back. I think that helps keep you a bit more engaged in the story, too.

I also love the new talent system. There are fewer choices, true, but they actually feel like choices. I have to think about what's best, and there are very, very few no-brainers (bad or good). I'm changing talents and glyphs pretty regularly, depending on the fight.

The economy... Without knowing what you liked or disliked about the economy in Cataclysm, it's hard to say whether it's better or worse. I'm personally finding it a little worse, but I'm saying that tongue in cheek. I'm a JC. I have to put a little thought into my trips to the AH now, and I'm not magically rolling in heaps of new gold every time I log in. I think the economy's fine, but I've never had problems making gold, so I don't really know what the view is like for someone who struggles with that. I don't really hear people complaining about affording gems/enchants/flasks, though. Mounts and vanity stuff, sure, but that's how that goes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
However, I will say that overall the storytelling is much better than in Catalcysm. That may seem contradictory - since Deathwing was setup to be a major threat - but I feel like Catalcysm story-telling wasn't very coherent. The zones each had a story, but they didn't hook together very well, at least not in my opinion. And some things that should have just been silly diversions took over the whole zone and distracted from the story (*coughharrisonjonescough*).

MoP may not have that epic singular villain (which is by design) I at least understand what I'm doing in each zone, and the main storylines in the zone seem to make sense as part of a larger, more elaborate story. And the lack of a singular villain also adds some suspense. In Catalcysm everybody knew that the 2nd tier of raid content would focus on Ragnaros, and the final tier on Deathwing. From the start, you could see where the stories were going. I have no idea who we're going to to have to kill in the next MoP patch - which leaves me guessing about where the story is going next.

I agree with this sentiment. The plot lines in the zones are more coherent and make more sense as you continue questing, but the style of questing and the reasons for doing things (i.e. "why kill 10 X and collect 5 Y") are more engaging. The detour stories for comedy and laughs aren't overpowering, and a lot of the characters are more...fleshed out, for lack of a better way to put it. I can mention a character named Mudmug and EVERYONE knows who he is and his personality despite being a somewhat side-character to the protagonists. The epic quests feel epic, the funny quests are funny without being stupid or irritating (other than Nesingwary, which honestly is standard for him), and in general it's less of a grind and more of a great experience to level through.

As one of my PvP Boomkin friends put it, "I could not wait to redo these quests when beta ended, and to redo them on my alts. They were that enjoyable."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
MoP is definitely owrth it. If you get the collector's edition you get a very nice mount and a cute pet. I have only been through about 1/3 of Pandaria and already I am very pleased. Lots of quests. The landscape is beautiful.

When you first start in Pandaria, just know there is an NPC in Dawn's Blossom that sells item level 372 gear. It's worth buying to get you into the MoP dungeons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]