LFR - Spec Exploits / Fix this Now

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Greetings,

Simply put, I just ran 2 straight raids with 6 Tank Specced people. This keeps happening and I'm sick of it.

Bottom line is if 2 people Queue as tank, those are the only 2 players that should be permitted to spec into a Tanking spec. Create a spec check system, if a tank leaves or gets booted, permit 1 more tank to spec into that build.

If a wanna-be wasn't dedicated enough to run Heroics/Dailies etc for Healer or Tank (or DPS gear for that matter), then they shouldn't be permitted to ride on other people's capes to get the loot they want.

This is ridiculously unfair to everyone that does LFR whether they are DPS'ers, Healers or Tanks.

I don't care if there's other threads about this, frankly Blizzard needs as many threads as possible.

Ideas: Create modable party roles.

Queing as 1 of 2 tanks would give 2 Raid Roles as tank which can be selectively transferred by the queue'd players decision.

Same for DPS and Healers. If people are scared of baddies, create a voting system to vote a role off of a player and transfer it.

Set the role to disallow any loot for any player that attempts to play a role they are not specced for.

FIX IT NOW!
Edited by Soleiron on 12/5/2012 6:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I imagine people do this because the queue is so much shorter, not because they don't have the gear.

I've never seen more than 3 tank specced people. Also, since the dps requirements for LFR aren't very rough, this shouldn't be an issue unless your group is exceptionally bad.

Honestly I don't think its a big enough issue for Blizzard to care about it.
Edited by Dayuv on 12/5/2012 6:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
No, they pretty much explained they wanted tank loot so they switched. They got in as DPS. But either way it's ridiculous. This is not something that people should just say to their tanks Oh, we have 5 other tanks taking loot that aren't actually tanking.

Also, Blood DK's can easily use their gear to DPS in frost or unholy, not necissarily as well as a fully geared DPSer but the guy just decided to play as Blood Spec in Frost Presence. That's completely noobish.
Edited by Soleiron on 12/5/2012 7:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
On my alt DK I did LFR last week queued as DPS while in tank spec. I got tier gloves from Sha of Anger and 5 pieces from LFR. All the while doing around 25k dps.

I have no shame.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, I'm glad people are so feckless and don't care about other's experience. Of course why should we right?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
An easier fix to this is to simply allow players to select what one spec they wish to take loot from, even if it isn't the one they are currently playing.

This issue is almost entirely caused by the extremely long queue times for tanking LFR and the fact that you can't choose to get "off-spec" loot. So tanks trying to gear up for their "real" runs are best off queuing as tank/dps, taking whatever pops first (DPS 95% of the time), but then staying in tank presence to force the drops.
Reply Quote
They would have to fix the core problems of long tank queue's first.

Or fix which spec you get to roll for.

Players as a whole will only care about their own experience and not about any others.

When I need to queue tank I always queue with at least 1 healer, sometimes 2, this forces me into the system.
Edited by Sarosha on 12/5/2012 8:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
12/05/2012 08:24 AMPosted by Subrosian
I frankly don't see the difference between Tank-spec'd DPS who do 30K... and the boatloads of DPS-spec'd DPS who do 30K. I'm carrying them either way - at least the Tank-spec'd will hopefully increase the number of tanks and reduce my dungeon queue times.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
But, but, then I can't heal LFR as Enhancement!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I admin I've done this a couple of times when it was a binary choice between being able to do LFR for the week or not. I have had multiple 60-90 minute queues to get through each tier of LFR (since I always have to queue twice) in the past as a tank whereas the dps queues are typically around 10-15 minutes. I do feel bad about it but I also want to be able to clear LFR.

Easy solution is this: under the part where you select your role have a second set of radio buttons (not checkbuttons as with the role selections where you can select multiple) to set an option to 'Roll on gear as:'. I can then use my frost set and queue as the dps role but still gear with the spec I actually play (blood) without sitting through hour+ queues and clogging an already overburdened tank queue. The only detriment to this is that people will whine about people having gear from a spec that they don't know how to play but this should obviously be a lesser detriment than the current ridiculous queues for tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 08:35 AMPosted by Nery
Does it even matter? It's not like you're competing with them for loot.

Ahh logic ... where have you been my friend.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
It matters because tank spec dps is awful with no vengeance.

<Insert little kiddy garbage about dps not being needed in LFR here>

Everyone has seen LFRs that struggle at least in part because of a lack of dps. People having an additional constraint to dps (i.e. being in a tank spec) only exacerbates the problem.
Reply Quote

I think its 3 seperate issues.

1, I sat in a long queue, so do you.

2, your in tank spec with say righteous fury turned off doing 30k dps, you took the place of possibly a high dps mage.

3, TURN OFF YOUR FRIPPING RIGHTEOUS FURY IF YOUR NOT QUEUED AS TANK....

I especially like the last one.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
12/05/2012 08:53 AMPosted by Sarosha
2, your in tank spec with say righteous fury turned off doing 30k dps, you took the place of possibly a high dps mage.

Lol. Like this ever happens.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It matters because tank spec dps is awful with no vengeance.

<Insert little kiddy garbage about dps not being needed in LFR here>

Everyone has seen LFRs that struggle at least in part because of a lack of dps. People having an additional constraint to dps (i.e. being in a tank spec) only exacerbates the problem.

Even without vengeance I would still do more DPS than most of the DPS I see in LFR so it wouldn't be much of an issue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

In theory, the issue is "bad dps." But in practice, you are quite right: It doesn't matter.

When I look at the bottom of the meters, the issue isn't "people in tank spec doing 30K DPS." It's "people who don't know what the buttons do doing 12K DPS."

I do feel a little guilty though. I would rather be using my dps spec to speed things along (not to mention play my class properly) as opposed to pseudo-dpsing in blood stance.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Simply put, I just ran 2 straight raids with 6 Tank Specced people. This keeps happening and I'm sick of it.
Hey if we bring enough tanks, maybe one of them might actually know how to use the crystals on Feng.

loljk, that will never happen.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 08:59 AMPosted by Melenkor
Hey if we bring enough tanks, maybe one of them might actually know how to use the crystals on Feng.

loljk, that will never happen.

The crystals pop in LFR ? hehe.

Ya never used them in LFR (have in our 10 man raid team tho).

Last time I did MSV as tank in LFR it went like this... I tanked all 3 stone guards while the other monk tank ... well not sure what he did.

I tanked Feng and whispered / asked in raid chat etc. for him to taunt .. and got to 3% life on feng by myself with 10 stacks of the third debuff and died .. but they finished him off.

I tanked Garaj by myself (gave up trying to talk to other tank at this time) and had to spam taunt to keep him from chasing around a mage every time I got back from the spirit realm.

So ya a DPS in tank spec that could have filled in would have been nice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]