$1500 to spend...

90 Human Priest
I currently play WoW on a 1.5 year old $350 best buy laptop getting about 20 fps in a 25 man on medium settings @ 1024x768.

I'd like to get something new and want to keep the purchase in the $1500 ballpark.

That being said... Desktop? Laptop? Ibuypower? Cyberpowerpc? I want blueray with an HD display and want to play WoW on ultra settings at a high resolution.

Help? :-)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It doesn't have to. I wouldn't have an issue going up to $1800 or so if it meant an incredible gaming rig.

Never have built a PC though and wouldn't know where to begin with a Newegg shopping list. My hands on experience consists of ram and video card upgrades in the past.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

That being said... Desktop? Laptop? Ibuypower? Cyberpowerpc? I want blueray with an HD display and want to play WoW on ultra settings at a high resolution.

Help? :-)

Well, the only reason to get a Laptop is because you want the portability, something to carry around. IMHO, everything that a laptop would do other than game is handled as well by a far more portable Tablet, but hey, that's your choice.

I would not get one for gaming unless you specifically wanted one, since the performance gap is relatively large. Not that a good gaming laptop won't suit, but a gaming desktop would be even better.

Here's the good news, 1500 dollars is an excellent budget to get what you want, you should have no problem doing it.

There's a guide in this forum to help :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6934365605

Read it, see your options, then tell us what you think you're comfortable doing, building or buying.

Building is no more frustrating than putting together Legos. Sometimes a bother, but not so great a challenge.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If it comes with a book I'm sure I can figure out. :-)

Where should I begin with a shopping list? I wouldn't miss the obvious like a case and CPU but would love a buying guide so I don't overlook something.

What about SSD vs HDD?

Edit:

Thanks to you both. I'll take a look at that thread and let you know.
Edited by Jesci on 12/5/2012 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
An SSD is good for load screens and OS boots, and is a good investment, but a secondary hard drive is still important, and if you have to decide to cut somewhere, that is one place.

Though that depends a lot on the details.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
You should defiantly check out pcpartpicker.com create an account then a build, and post the build on here to give some feed back on the build. Also there are some very detailed videos on Newegg on how to build a cpu, and I would recommend to order from Amazon much easier return process than Newegg in case a part is defective.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yeah my current laptop is only 300GB and it's about 50% full... I don't need anything near 1 TB.

Thanks for all the input everyone... I'm gonna work on putting a build together and will post back for feedback!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Only get an SSD to put your OS in. An SSD is like soap, everytime you use it, the quality and quantity diminishes. Get a secondary HDD as others have advised, and only put your OS and possibly a game you don't play -too- often on the SSD.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah my current laptop is only 300GB and it's about 50% full... I don't need anything near 1 TB.

Yeah, that's what I said about my 80GB hard drive when I built my own 3 years ago. I figured 500GB would be way more than enough. Come today and I've had to offload ~300GB of other games onto an external hard drive. I would advise you to get 1TB anyways. They are not much more expensive and you'll have a lot of breathing room.

That said, SSDs are fantastic especially for things like WoW where you're often loading a lot of new areas and data. On a traditional hard drive it'd cause the game to stutter for a few moments while everything loads but it'll be smooth as butter on an SSD.
Edited by Liposuction on 12/6/2012 9:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
12/06/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Jazeraca
Only get an SSD to put your OS in. An SSD is like soap, everytime you use it, the quality and quantity diminishes. Get a secondary HDD as others have advised, and only put your OS and possibly a game you don't play -too- often on the SSD.

negligible, by the time the ssd would become unusable would be far past time to upgrade
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
If you want to stick to the portability, get an Asus G75. They're about $1250 at Best Buy. I run wow on Ultra on mine at 50-60fps depending on where I am. I watched a 40 man (plus other spectators on screen) take down Sha of Anger on Ultra at 30fps no problems.

Spend the money you save on a SSD. Worth every penny.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I have given it a lot of thought and I do want to keep the portability and go with a laptop.

I realize they aren't a desktop but it's a sacrifice I'll make. That being said I will look into the Asus...

Any other brands worth considering?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Sager, Lenovo and Toshiba
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/08/2012 08:39 PMPosted by Lyrenna
Sager, Lenovo and Toshiba

I just put this system together from Sager...

Display 17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GTX 675MX GPU with 4GB GDDR5 Video Memory
CPU Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.40GHz)
Thermal Compound Stock Standard Thermal Compound
Operating System Genuine MS Windows® 8 64-Bit Edition
Memory 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 4 X 4GB
Primary Hard Disk Drive 750GB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
2nd Hard Disk Drive Crucial 256GB M4 Series mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive
Optical Drive Bay 6X BD-R Blu-ray Burner/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
Primary Battery Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Starter 2010 / Office 2010 Trial - Included in Price
Warranty Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
Calculate Shipping & Tax

Ground ($0.00)

Sub Total: $1,989.00
Promotion Discount: -$100.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Free Shipping (Ground): $0.00
Total: $1,889.00

I could save $50 by dropping the RAM back down to 8GB and $100 by dropping the video card down to the 3GB 670 but those were 2 upgrades I thought necessary... all in all it looks like a sick gaming rig and about $600 cheaper than something comparable from like... Alienware.

Thoughts?
Edited by Jesci on 12/8/2012 11:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
As someone who built their very first setup less than 3 weeks ago, I can tell you it is SO much fun and a great experience to do so. I have so much pride in my setup.

Do you move around much or need to game on the go? For the most part, my guess is a *REALISTIC* no, so desktops are faaar superior to laptops.

That laptop you have has a sick card but is bottle necked through that processor. And if you get any better of a processor, you'll need a better battery and it'll be hot as hell. Not to mention it's Ivy Bridge, which my old laptop had. 90 degrees when it turbo'd and it was annoying due to my hands getting absurdly hot sitting on the thing and sweating all the time.

The RAM is also excessive. I, personally, would prefer having 2133 RAM that's 8 gigs. But also, there is the fact that you can't swap out or replace the RAM with a laptop and games may eventually call for that much.

Another thing, (More personal preference) is that 17" screens are nice, but if you want mobility in your gaming, that big of a computer is annoying to carry around. 8+ pounds gets to be alot, and I regretted going from my first gaming laptop, which was 15" to a 17" due to size and cumbersome weight.

Fingerprint reader is fluff. I never used mine and if you could save some money, I'd skip that.

Although it is arguably a superior and nicer OS, I wouldn't upgrade to Windows 8 simply because of the potential profiteering Microsoft may try and force on the customers. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I intend to boycott it. Look up more on if you want information, but as far as I understand, they want a "walled garden, we-control-everything" setup similar to Apple.

Finally, good job on brand, because @#$^ Alienware.

I know a lot of this has been negative, but critique is very important for someone about to make a purchase as expensive and debatable as a new gaming computer, wouldn't you say? xD
Edited by Gunnerrecall on 12/9/2012 12:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I have no problem with negative... just want to make sure I get the right thing.

Out of curiousity I put together an Ibuypower desktop last night with similar specs to the laptop I listed and after I added a 24" LCD (something I would need unless I decided to use my 46" plasma with a desktop) the price of the Ibuypower desktop + monitor was virtually the same as the Sager laptop.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Anyone have anything to say about Ibuypower laptops?

Valkyrie CZ-17 [2] Gaming Laptop

1 x Case ( Valkyrie CZ-17 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080 LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/HDMI Port, E-SATA, USB 3.0, Illuminated Keyboard, Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power Adapter - Original Metallic black )

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-3840QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.8GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )

1 x Memory ( 16GB [8GB x 2] 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Laptop Memory] - Corsair or Major Brand **FREE Upgrade to 16GB [8GB x2] DDR3-1600 G.Skill** )

1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 4GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [CZ-17] )

1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE] - 32GB USB3.0 Flash Drive - Free with purchase of Intel Core i7 Syetem )

1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE Game Voucher] - Assassins Creed III - Free with purchase of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650Ti or above )

1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 180 GB Intel 330 SSD - Single Drive *FREE Upgrade from 60GB Intel 330 after MIR* )

1 x Data Hard Drive ( 750 GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive )

1 x Optical Drive ( 6X Blu-Ray-R/8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 24x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-17] )

1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( Built-in 4-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop] )

1 x Sound Card ( HD Audio with THX TrueStudio Pro )

1 x Network Card ( Killer E2200 Gaming Networking )

1 x Internal Wireless Network Adapter ( 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo [CZ-17] )

1 x Operating System ( Windows 8 + Office 2010 Trial [Free 60-Day !!!] - 64-bit )

1 x USB Ports ( Built-in 2x USB 2.0 Ports + 3x USB 3.0 Port [Laptop] )

1 x Video Camera ( Built-in 3.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera )

1 x Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard One(1) Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

Sub Total: $1,929.00

Estimated Total with 5% discount for deferred delivery: $1,832.00
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]